Is this allowed (and is it a good idea) to tell buyers that they can view the item?

I have a large item (musical instrument) that I am thinking of selling on Ebay on local collection only.

The first thing I would like to know is: can I state in the listing that buyers can see and try the item beforehand, or would that be a violation of Ebay's T&Cs?

The second is: Is it a daft idea?

Thanks

Message 1 of 9
See Most Recent
8 REPLIES 8

Is this allowed (and is it a good idea) to tell buyers that they can view the item?

It is a good idea but ebay block messages containing addresses and phone numbers prior to payment.   You'd have to put your phone number or postcode and house number in your description and hope ebay don't interpret that as inviting off-ebay deals which could get your listing removed.  Be careful how you word the invitation to view.

Message 2 of 9
See Most Recent

*vyolla*
Experienced Mentor

eBay don't allow items to be viewed before they've been won or bought.

If somebody buys it you can always cancel if they don't want to proceed with the sale once they've viewed the item.

From October 1st it's not possible to receive a cash payment for a collection sale, eBay will collect your buyers payment and it'll be paid into your bank account.

Your buyer will have a 6 digit collection code that eBay will provide them with, they must give this to you before they take the item away with them. 

Message 3 of 9
See Most Recent

Daft idea or not,  it's just not allowed.

For collection items the buyer has to buy the item,   and with new rules coming pay directly through eBay checkout.

They then come and inspect the item,  if it is not to their liking you need to cacnel the order citing Buyer Requests to Cancel.

This will refund your seller fees,  refund the buyer and your seller performance will not be affected.

Be aware,   when your item does sell send the buyer a message that they must bring along a code, a  6 digit number eBay will send to them via email / eBay message,  scanning this code or manually entering the number on the collection order, shows the item collected,  and will release your payout.

There are no more cash on collection after purchase for items.

@marwri9621 

Message 4 of 9
See Most Recent

I didn't know buyer could cancel the sale without the seller's consent. Is this specific to collections only?

Message 5 of 9
See Most Recent

@marwri9621 wrote:

I didn't know buyer could cancel the sale without the seller's consent. Is this specific to collections only?

A buyer can't cancel a sale, they can only ask to. The cancel order button is on the sellers side. 

It would be daft for a seller not to cancel if the buyer comes along to collect, decides that it's not as described and wants to cancel.

The buyer could refuse to hand over the collection code and get their money back via an eBay item not received claim or, feel obliged to take the item and then issue a not as described chargeback.

Message 6 of 9
See Most Recent

Unless things are changing again with the change to collection only payments, I don't think the statements about the six digit collection code are correct. I sell most of my items collection only. I can only think of two recent sales out of probably 15 - 20 where the buyer has actually brought the code, but marking the item collected seems to work fine and I've still been paid.

Message 7 of 9
See Most Recent

@cra2992 wrote:

Unless things are changing again with the change to collection only payments, I don't think the statements about the six digit collection code are correct. I sell most of my items collection only. I can only think of two recent sales out of probably 15 - 20 where the buyer has actually brought the code, but marking the item collected seems to work fine and I've still been paid.

Without the code though the buyer can claim that they haven't collected and that the seller just marked it as collected. They can get their money back and get to keep the item.

The code is your proof that the buyer has taken the item. 

I wouldn't hand over the item if they turned up without the code. They have it via email anyway, so can easily access it on their phone.

Message 8 of 9
See Most Recent

Things are changing @cra2992 

Buyers now have to bring a code for the sellet to scan or manually enter a number when item is collected to release the  payout made.  No cash on collection is allowed.

Big changes for collections items.

Message 9 of 9
See Most Recent
Got selling related questions? Start here: