Rejected by outward mc

Hi people I'm just really confused I'm a starting seller and I made my first sale and I've posted it through Royal Mail 48 hour tracked. It got accepted at the post office but I've checked where it is today and for the last 3 days it says "rejected by outward mc" every single day for the last 3 days. Can someone please help on what this means and what will happen next.

Message 1 of 31
See Most Recent
30 REPLIES 30

Re: Rejected by outward mc

What I did was initiated contact with the buyer after a few days as I knew something wasn't right, So I first contacted Royal Mail who then told me I hadn't paid enough postage (Yes I did) they wanted a further £3,50 to send a card or contact they reciever notifying them of a charge that has to be paid to receive the parcel.

So I contacted they buyer and explained the situation, He accepted the extra postage charge refund naturally as he's getting an item that's now cheaper than what he bid for (Not his/her fault of course)

So I sent a refund but it seemed eBay then contacted me saying they're going to charge my card the refund amount blah blah.

You cannot pay Royal Mail this charge yourseld I asked them, They said only the receiver has to pay the charge which makes things worse!

I won't be selling anymore items here again.

Message 21 of 31
See Most Recent

Thank you so much. My buyer, I hope it will be understanding, since it blames me and I tried explaining. I even have a receipt with the write amount of money I paid.

Message 22 of 31
See Most Recent

Yes I understand, It's frustrating when it's us that get the blame and it's not even our fault.

How can I me you or anyone not have paid enough postage when I did through eBay's postage system.

So not only do they fleece you for 10-15% or whatever it is for charges they then rip you off more for these postage issues.

I'll stick to selling on other platforms in future for the little I use it anyway.

Message 23 of 31
See Most Recent

Further to this, I later discovered the reason why Royal Mail rejected the parcel was because eBay produced a label that was marked "large letter" and not "small parcel" in the small box above the bar code.

The Royal Mail use a letterbox template, if you have been in the post office you may have seen them doing this. They try and put the item through the slot, which is the size of a standard letterbox, if the item does not fit then it is classed as a small parcel not a letter.

It sounds like a technicality, but it isn't. A large letter sent Tracked 24 costs £3.30, where a small parcel sent Tracked 24 costs £3.99. A small parcel sent Tracked 48 costs £3.99

I usually fill this information for myself on Royal Mail's website, where I have bought around 1,500 labels within the last two years. I never even noticed the box until this item caused the fuss it has caused.

The mailer was oversize on one dimension out of three to be a large lettert, so it failed the Royal Mail template test and got rejected.

Royal Mail then held this for a week before informing the buyer that the postage was underpaid. They did not pass on any information to me, the seller, so that I could rectify the problem. Whenever I checked on their track and trace, all I got was a message saying "We've got it".

After a week, Royal Mail demanded a payment of £3.50 from the buyer, even though they had taken more than 48 hours to deliver and could have delivered Tracked 48 for 1p less than was paid. (3.29 against 3.30 paid)

When I discovered this, I contacted eBay who played Pontius Pilot, washed their hands of the matter and told me that postage was not their responsibility. They encourage you to buy postage labels from them, they brag about the shipping discounts they can pass on because of the volume of business they generate and they put their branding on the labels that are printed, but its not their responsibility. Brilliant.

I then contacted Royal Mail and asked them why they had not delivered the item as there had been enough postage paid for a delayed delivery of more than 24 hours. They also played Pontius Pilot, had no explanation for why the buyer ended up paying £6.49 for delivery of something that should have cost half that. They did it because the computer, Horizon, told them to do it. That's the same Horizon that is currently embroiled in the post office scandal recently dramatised by ITV.

Royal Mail also said that the formatting of the labels used by eBay is down to eBay.
I have branded this, "Pontius Pilot plays digital ping pong". Or as my old dad used to say, "To me, to you, to me".

In reality its all my fault for not spotting this error before purchasing the label of course. 

eBay and Royal Mail must deal with thousands of items that this happens to, so an overcharge of £3.50 each time must add up to a tidy extra sum. 

I asked the question why can't eBay produce the correct label? They have all of the information from the original listings to know that if the item is a 12inch vinyl record, it can never be sent as a large letter because it does not fit the Royal Mail's criteria. Its always a small parcel.

So why can't they write that into the line of programming that creates the postage label for this kind of item?
I have had no reply to this question.

In the meantime, I have been left with the first negative feedback I have ever had in over 5,000 transactions on eBay and other platforms.

To be fair, it did turn out that the buyer was one of the most obnoxious, rude and horrible people I have had the misfortune to deal with. But that just leads me on to another topic that regards how eBay managed this, given that I contacted their agents on at least three different occasions when the buyer was getting really rude and vaguely threatening with me. Each time, the agents told me that they had my back, not to worry they could see how he was behaving and so on.

Then, when he dropped his negative feedback, eBay have done nothing. they have ignored me and so far have allowed the feedback to stand. Now, every time I go onto eBay, I see this feedback. Its going to remind me of what was utimately a minor error for the rest of my days.

All in all, not a great experience and I think I will drop eBay as a seller again. I was going to populate my page with thousands of items for people to buy and eBay to collect fees on but following on from this I think I am going to go back to Discogs exclusively. At least people on there are treated with real respect and the moderators act as they say they will and don't string you along with a pack of lies. 

Message 24 of 31
See Most Recent

It sounds like you've had a horrible experience from every side of this transaction and you have my sympathy.

Unfortunately it also sounds fairly typical of so called "Customer Service" these days.

You were caught between two corporations who, in reality, don't give a toss about their customers and see CS as just something else to be shirked and cut back on in their relentless drive to maximise profits for the shareholders.

In your position I'd also think seriously about abandoning ebay, if not I'd certainly stop using their labels and rewarding them for a rubbish service.  I'd also stop using whatever RM service caused the problem and take my parcels to the local post office and talk to a person behind the counter.  They  do normally get posting a a parcel right and helpfully tell you if you've got anything wrong in my experience

Message 25 of 31
See Most Recent

Yes exactly right on all counts. 

For now I have altered the text in my eBay profile to reflect my overall profile in 5,000 trades, which is 4,999 positive to one negative. Every garden has one or two weeds is my comment on it, but on doing that I noticed my overall rating has dropped to something like 98.5% which is baffling as one bad amongst all the goods is more like 99.9. whatever. 

The Royal Mail service that caused the problem is called eBay. Its the only parcel that has ever caused me problems and the only time I went through them. My usual method, buy online via royal mail and have the postie collect, or drop off in my local branch works fine for me. I've sent parcels all over the world that way and never had a single problem. 

Ultimately though the horrible experience was down to a buyer who was hell bent on conflict and likes to bully people. He's blocked now, so I move on. I'm not selling anything on eBay anyway. My sales on other platforms are booming, but eBay, nada. Its good for stuff to unblock drains and toehr things like that these days, but not for vintage vinyl it seems. cheers.

Message 26 of 31
See Most Recent

When I click on to view the postage that the ebay system has selected it often lists my parcel as a small parcel when in fact it is a medium parcel. If I chose to send via that  it would incur a surcharge. It usually is because my parcel is higher than the 16cm that is required for a small parcel. 
I quickly change to 'Cabin Luggage' which is a medium Royal Mail parcel and costs £4.49.

The automatic selector even has parcels listed as large letters sometimes... it's tricky if you don't know what you should have selected.

Message 27 of 31
See Most Recent

There is a happy ending to this story. When I looked on my eBay page today (for something else I might add, I have now filed this under "learning experience",  I am not THAT OCD), I noticed that my feedback had reverted to 100% positive.....

Looking further, I discovered that the negative feedback from Mr Horrid Buyer had been removed.

It goes to show that it does pay off to persist with eBay, if you argue your case well, they will take it on board and act.

I am happy with them today. Onwards and upwards, thanks for all of the messages of support I received since posting on here, they were much appreciated. 

Message 28 of 31
See Most Recent

You've got to be out of your mind if you think that Evri *bleep*ty service is better in any way than RM. 

Message 29 of 31
See Most Recent

@moanasaurus2 wrote:

Further to this, I later discovered the reason why Royal Mail rejected the parcel was because eBay produced a label that was marked "large letter" and not "small parcel" in the small box above the bar code.

This seems to be a theme. May I suggest that everyone stop buying postage through Ebay and buy it direct. Even if it is a few pence more. (Does it cost more? I don't know.)

Try Royal Mail's Click and Drop website. https://auth.parcel.royalmail.com it can be set up to import addresses from Ebay (so you don't need to type them in), and YOU specify the weight and size of the package at the time you are shipping it.

I have sent hundreds of packages this way with zero issues.

Message 30 of 31
See Most Recent

@eastern-lights wrote:

@moanasaurus2 wrote:

This seems to be a theme. May I suggest that everyone stop buying postage through Ebay and buy it direct. Even if it is a few pence more. (Does it cost more? I don't know.)

As far as I can tell Royal Mail's website charges the same as their eBay integration.

On the eBay selection screen for postage/shipping the options correlate with Royal Mail/Parcelforce services but are named (confusingly) differently. For example letter, padded envelope, shoe box, cabin luggage & large suitcase correspond with the maximum dimensions for letter, large letter, small parcel, medium parcel & large parcel respectively. There is then a separate "Weight" field which seems to default to 100g (RM's letter limit) - I have no idea if anything on this screen uses the "Package weight" and "Package dimensions" specified in the listing template but I suspect it doesn't.

A lot of the problems seem to be items that should have been provided with a "small parcel" label being given a "large letter" label instead. I have no idea if this is because affected sellers missed the "Weight" field - it should be like RM's website and be a required field that only lets the user progress once they have actually selected a value. Leaving it defaulted to the lowest possible value is daft and means a user can easily miss it.

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Message 31 of 31
See Most Recent
Got selling related questions? Start here: