Estimated delivery dates (yes again)

I know this has been done to death and eBay staff just repeat the 'working as intended' mantra but this simply can't be right.

I bought something from a seller I get supplies from more than a week ago and it's still not arrived. I realise delays are inevitable at this time of year but I thought I'd just check the EDD and I'm gobsmacked by the disparity between his and mine.

Ordered on November 27, seller has a 1 day / same day handling time and posts 1st class, yet the EDD for my order is December 5th - 8th.

I compared one of my listing to his.

Seller - as above - same day dispatch before 3:30pm, sent 1st class. EDD is December 12th to 15th, so basically at least a week to arrive.

My listing - five working days handling time and I send 2nd class. EDD is December 8th to 13th. So eBay as usual are telling buyers they may get the item before I even have to post it.

So a seller with same day dispatch and 1st class post gets longer EDD than a seller with 5 day dispatch and 2nd class post.

I know they're supposed to be 'dynamic' but there's just no way that this can be described as 'working as intended'.

Message 1 of 196
See Most Recent
195 REPLIES 195

The problem is that the people at eBay don't see it as a problem, despite the fact that sellers, IE their customers, are telling them repeatedly that it is a problem.

How on earth can a delivery estimate be for a day before I have even committed to post it?

But eBay obviously don't see sellers as their customers, they tend to see us as The Enemy, or at best, a necessary evil, despite the fact that buyers never paid eBay a penny in fees.

Message 21 of 196
See Most Recent

"But what can we, as sellers, do about it, - apart from not entering tracking or marking stuff as dispatched?"

I add the RM 2nd class reference number as "tracking" for the convenience of my buyers and also send them an ebay message telling them that their parcel is in the post.  Usually the day after they pay and in the hope it will jog their memory if the parcel arrives "late" (by ebays standard),  they might remember that it was posted Next Day and realise I am not at fault.

I tried not adding tracking until day two of my dispatch window a couple of times.  Nothing changed with subsequent sales FDDs.  Which again led me to question how 'dynamic' the calculation really is and what it is really taking into account. 

The only other explanation I can think of is that when I enter the reference number on ebay, I'm told to wait while the info. is verified.  Is part of the verification the date the number was issued at the post office?  If so, it doesn't matter what day it's uploaded, it registers with ebay as the date I posted  --  so back to square one and a waste of time.   

So I reverted to uploading on the first day of my dispatch window  --  preferring to put my trust in my buyers common-sense when ebay demonstrably has none and churns out the same nonsense whatever day I upload tracking.

As I'm a low volume private seller my account assessment is over a rolling twelve months, with an allowance of 5 late delivery defects at any one time.  I make the obvious choice during winter weather, strikes and back-logs, as any sale is quite likely to result in a defect when ebay insists I should get a parcel from one end of the country to the other in two days.

e.g  I sold an item (located in Kent) to a buyer in Argyle on 29/11, dispatch by 1/12,  FDD shown to buyer 2-4/12.  It still hasn't been delivered according to tracking, possibly due to heavy snow fall, then snow melt and flooding. 

I ended all my listings on 1/12 and won't start listing again until about mid-January, assuming the weather isn't too bad.

Message 22 of 196
See Most Recent

"I'd say you got - if not an answer, at least a hint or indication, that the problem will go away if you mark stuff as dispatched on the day it's due to be dispatched, and not before that date."

Doing this is not an option if you use Click & Drop linked to a RM Business account as all the sales details are swept into your RM account to let you print the postage label. Once you print and then manifest ready to take your mailbag/s to the Post Office RM then sends date of posting, tracking details etc back to Ebay and its loaded automaticaly onto the items. The manifest is scanned when the mailbags are handed over at the PO

I now only take mail to the PO twice a week which with a 3 day dispatch window means some are sent the same day as payment is received & some on the last possible date. Now & then the odd one goes out late.

I'm going to tempt fate but at the moment I am showing as 0% late delivery.

From reading other posts about sending via Ebay labels I whether the problem is actually with those labels. It might be worth someone who uses them trying another system to see if their figures improve.

So others can compare my 2nd cl Domestic or Ordinary Airmail mail sent yesterday [Dec 7] is showing the following EDDs

Jersey Dec 14, Scotland Dec 12, England Dec 11 

Australia Jan 14

Canada Jan 4

Italy, Finland, Germany Jan 12

Spain, France Jan 11

Tracked to USA Dec 20

Message 23 of 196
See Most Recent

Ok now eBay have gone to the other extreme. Today my items are showing delivery estimate of 27th - 29th December which has totally killed sales.

Why is it so hard to get this right?

Message 24 of 196
See Most Recent

Ok so I reduced my handling time to squeeze a few more sales.

Now I have items with the exact same postal service and exact same handling time with different EDDs.

Some are showing 27th-29th and some are showing 23rd-29th. Yet others are showing 23rd-30th.

Really eBay?

Message 25 of 196
See Most Recent

@badger_3d wrote:

The whole thing is utterly broken.

We ran a double shift the other day to catch up on orders for another platform and added some eBay orders to the production run.

They've been sat on the shelf awaiting posting since yesterday, we daren't send them in case the eBay algorithm sees us dispatching two days early and translates that into knocking 1 week off our EDD, like they did last year.

Bobbins.

Exactly.  I do the same. Do they not see that by having these EDDs then our buyers are actually losing out on getting their items more quickly? 

And now that, since a few years ago, Ebay promise buyers that something will arrive "in time for Christmas" ive gone into Time Away mode as of 2 days ago.  I do not want to deal with that.  

Message 26 of 196
See Most Recent

@darth_baggins wrote:

Ok so I reduced my handling time to squeeze a few more sales.

Now I have items with the exact same postal service and exact same handling time with different EDDs.

Some are showing 27th-29th and some are showing 23rd-29th. Yet others are showing 23rd-30th.

Really eBay?

The difference will be depending on the category.  If you usually post Pet Supplies and DVDs quickly but take longer to post Handbags and Garden Furniture, that will reflect in future EDDs (just as an example)

Message 27 of 196
See Most Recent

I can top that - my second class post listings are now showing:  

Estimated between Tue, 2 Jan and Mon, 8 Jan to XXXXX

Looks like I will be having a longer than expected Christmas Holiday this year 🙂
Message 28 of 196
See Most Recent

i have looked at lots of sellers selling similar to me and we all dispatch in a day, and delivery showing as january.  just what you need for the last weekend of christmas sales......not just sellers out of pocket but will so will ebay too as nobody buying anything for Christmas...this is so unfair and actually not a good service for buyers that think they have still time to order....

Message 29 of 196
See Most Recent

ebay is shows a listing's primary postage service to buyers. If you have this set to your slowest postage then that is what buyers will see even though it's free. It depends on what you want buyers to see first up - faster or free. 

Message 30 of 196
See Most Recent

Just checked with a calendar and my second class posted on this Monday should be set to 27th or 28th December at the latest - not 9th January 2024 ....   at least I will not get any complaints for late delivery 🙂

Message 31 of 196
See Most Recent

Even by eBay's ludicrously low standards on delivery estimates, this is just absurd. Completely ignoring the last posting dates they uploaded *themselves* today, giving customers a 9-12 day estimate for Tracked 48, and that's me not including public holidays or Sundays.

But I can't even fix it by changing items to Tracked24 as that's already showing as 20th-27th with Monday dispatch, despite RM saying T24 can be sent up to 20th Dec for Christmas delivery. It should be 1-2 days estimate, not 2-6.

I can only think they've put into their system that 21st, 22nd, 23rd are all public holidays for Royal Mail services. There's no other way I can comprehend how there would be such a broad delivery estimate for T24.

Complete and utter car crash as usual.

Please eBay, just let us manage our own delivery estimates, it's so simple. That's all I want for Christmas.

Message 32 of 196
See Most Recent

More evidence, if any more was really needed, that this is not a calculation and it certainly isn't working correctly.

If it was either, a couple of minor adjustments wouldn't throw it into (further) confusion, adding an extra Public Holiday or two should see it "dynamically" self correct?

But if it's already giving inaccurate answers, adding to it will only increase its inaccuracies?

Yes, as you say, the answer is so simple  --  let sellers manage their own delivery estimates.  Ebay is just making itself look increasingly foolish continuing this charade.  Like a petulant child stamping its feet and insisting that they are right and everyone else is wrong.

Message 33 of 196
See Most Recent

I wonder if they've just copied last year's data when RM were on strike on the 23rd and 24th of December. Either way they've basically killed sales for should be one of the busiest weekends of the year.

Message 34 of 196
See Most Recent

Sales have totally been devestated by this.

None of my items are showing as arriving before Christmas unless the buyer upgrades to 1st class postage.

I can understand this happening early next week but this weekend should be really busy with last minute presents. Even my regular everyday items are not selling now as delivery is far too long and almost 2 weeks away which is totally unrealistic.

Message 35 of 196
See Most Recent

@darth_baggins wrote:

I wonder if they've just copied last year's data when RM were on strike on the 23rd and 24th of December. Either way they've basically killed sales for should be one of the busiest weekends of the year.

I was thinking the same or they want sellers to buy the more expensive services if they buy postage from ebay & so get more fees.

My post from another thread about Xmass delivery dates :

"Something changed this morning & 1 class post, RM 24 shows now more realistic EDD's then last night where it was showing 1 class EDD for 20-27th Dec.  & some EDD were for 4th of January !!!

This morning the same 1 class service is showing EDD either 19-21st Dec for half of my products & 20-22 Dec. for the other half, so 1 day difference in EDD, yet all my items are posted same day using the same service.

All my men's wallets show the EDD as 1 day later (20-22 Dec.) then my ladies purses (19-20 Dec.) ???

I experimented with variety of 1 class services to try uniform the EDD's but whatever I did I always end up with half of my products showing 1 day faster EDD then the other half.

So if  a person orders 1 wallet & 1 purse to be delivered to the same address, using same service, posted in the same box , they should receive it one day apart ??? according to ebay's EDD  ??? most bizarre.

I wonder if anyone else has noticed this ?"

Message 36 of 196
See Most Recent

Yeah there definitely seems to be something wrong with their system on those dates and possibly 22nd too. As a workaround you could consider changing service to Standard Delivery 'Other 48 hr courier'. That gives a delivery estimate of 19-21 Dec. However, if you then change it to 'Other courer 3 working days' it moves the estimate to 28th Dec - 2nd Jan. System seems to refuse to factor in 22nd or 23rd as delivery days. Tracked 24 is at least showing as 19-21 Dec this morning which is some consolation.

Message 37 of 196
See Most Recent

Just checked mine and have it as same day dispatch yet tracked 48 is showing as  Friday 29th as earliest delivery, I dont plan on walking it to the buyers address so no idea what they have decided to do to make up those dates. It should be Wednesday 20th, how the flip do eBay add 9 days on.

anita@ebay

marco@ebay

katie@ebay

Any chance somebody can look into this and get it fixed so we arent having the busiest weekend/week totally ruined by eBays inabaility to have a working site?

This is a complete joke.

Message 38 of 196
See Most Recent

I have put 5 day dispatch and 5 day courier in an attempt to get ebay to allow a reasonable delivery time.  But last time I sold something it said post by the 21st (which was correct for my 5 days) but then ebay have told the buyer 18th to 22nd as the delivery date.

So delivery from two days before I'm required to post to one day after I post with a 5 day courier. Wonderful.

Message 39 of 196
See Most Recent

In a boxing match ( not that I like boxing ) when the opponent gets knocked down and gets up and fights again only to get knocked down time and time again and eventually gives up bruised and battered not able to defend any more so waves the white flag 

need I say more. That's what I feel about EDD and dynamics  you cannot justify them or get anyone to agree how unfair and unrealistic they are

Message 40 of 196
See Most Recent
Got business selling related questions? Start here: