Why is ebay so hard to sell on now

I remember when i first started on my first account back in 2005, it was so easy to sell things, it didn't really matter what it was, you could post it on auction and it would sell within a week or two maximum and you'd get quite a few bidders and a reasonable price, i remember when the fraud started in about 2008/09, i had a lot a lot of people buying things and saying they had never had them and you'd have to file a claim with the post office, especially people from mexico and UK buyers, i remember as i sold internationally then, i closed that down when we left the EU because i knew nobody would bid on anything due to the added customs fees, i stopped buying internationally for the same reasons, i remeber you had to start charging more for postage for things to get it tracked and signed for to reduce fraud and genunine lost parcels, everyone seemed to hate that, though i dispute most of them because everything gets a deliever confirmation these days and almost everything gets delivered, touch wood, idk when it started but it must have been in the 2010's 99p auctions became impossible as you'd be lucky to get that for a high value item, you're literally lucky to get 1 bid on an auction these days so i just ask for the price i think its worth now, what ensues is lots of waiting and dead air, then suddenly sometimes out of nowhere you get a bid, everyone says do buy it now only you do that pay fees and nobody ever buys it invariably, so i add nearest offer to my listings, it gives me a chance to check feedback of buyers and avoid the cranks, an example of this recently was some bloke offered me a pound for a £2 jigsaw, then when i checked his feedback he was buying them doing them and trying to return them constantly then opening a case saying they were incomplete and getting to keep them and selling them himself, i get so many clowns like this and i block them, then you get genuine people who offer for things then simply want them for literally nothing at that point it's like why am i even here at all, i had to end one auction for this reason and ebay charged me for it and not like 20p but like £3, when i called up about it the woman basically said it was my fault for cancelling his bid and ending the auction, despite him bidding, retracting it then bidding again, now i hear the government want ebay to report us to hmrc for selling stuff from around the house i don't want anymore, i got the distinct impression on the phone to ebay they didn't really care if you bothered selling as a small person, she was like go to a boot sale, last time i saw that near me was the 90's, ebay is my only way to sell the junk lying around my house or stuff i buy and decide not two use, now a few days ago i got a message from ebay saying we are now having to pay some new fee for everything we sell, it just feels like a huge waste of time, you put all the work in listing things only for it to sit there for months on end, I'm very lucky if i sell 3 things a week, usually nothing to 2 things, i just think everyone just buys off amazon unless its a niche item you can't get on there, ebay is a much smaller pond now, facebook marketplace is a joke in comparison, constant messages from cranky old people who say they'll come get it but never do or just dead air, i won't use it, i still prefer ebay to sell but at some point you have to ask why you even bother, i think you're better off just getting rid of what you have then being very careful what you buy because getting rid of stuff is a nightmare these days unless its a very popular item like a playstation that a lot of people want, i don't know what anyone else thinks probably the opposite based on my few posts on here over the years, almost like its full of ebay employees or something.

Message 1 of 31
See Most Recent
30 REPLIES 30

I feel exactly the same as you. So sad.  What is the reason for all this?

Message 21 of 31
See Most Recent

Reasons are numerous and while some may not give you direct answer it is all related. So - in no particular order here are few contributing reaasons:

a) eBay is pressuring sellers to offer "free" shipping which is a nonsense because there is no shipping company working for no cost at all. 

b)  in the same (as above) "spirit" eBay permits sellers from China to offer products at "free" shipping from China which undercuts everybody else.  

c)  eBay charges a lot for selling fees (17%!) 

d)  people's attitudes have changed - these days everybody sits on the sofa, clicks buy now and wants it delivered right away (I once had a seller downgrading me for "slow shipping" even though I dispatched his order the same day he placed it, merely four hours later). Not many people - I guess - are keen on participating in auctions anymore because it means they have to wait until it ends and then wait until the item is shipped (if they won).

Message 22 of 31
See Most Recent

The rise of Amazon since 2005 cant have helped.

Message 23 of 31
See Most Recent

I'm not 100% sure but I don't think amazon sells collectable vintage glassware?  (I never use amazon)  But my sales of old vases etc have declined just like those of so many other sellers.

I'd put it down more to the progressive moving of the search results away from what the buyer types in the search-box, towards what ebay thinks the buyer wants, might buy instead or, more recently, which seller is willing to pay ebay the most.

Basically, it's possibly as simple as that? 

I now sell more on ebid because their search is still Key-Word oriented and if a buyer uses the same words that I wrote in my ad. title, they are shown my item and will buy it. 

Message 24 of 31
See Most Recent

I personally do not think it is any harder to sell on the ebay plateform, in fact in a lot of areas it is very much easier. I remember the old days, started in 2004, with 99p listings, low percentage FVF's 5% I think, or lower, hardley any protection from con men and scammers and double dogey buyers, but it was great  fun in those days. Sold all overt the world, a few items went missing, but if you knew what you were doing, you made allowences in your priceing structure or in the case of auctions you just took that chance, it was swings and roundabouts. What has changed is I agree, the total domination of the Chinese, but that is happening in all areas. Just look at any everyday item that you buy in the shops or online, 85%/95% of it made in China. They are now in control of the consumer and we cannot say we didn't se it coming because we did. The western world was too complaincent and too lazy to do anything about it. With regard to selling abroad now, well what can I say. What is  too blame is our old favorite Brexit. Yes this is to blame, no arguments. It has made selling UK goods to the Europeans and elsewhere a nightmare, and leaving the EU is resposible for it. Buying from the EU is more expensive, prohibitive in a lot of cases, for the very same reason. Didn't think of that did we! I do not care what any Brexiteer says, they are deluded. From my point of view, selling off my vast private collection, ebay is still by far the best place. If you are trying to make a living or run a business, ah thats a different matter. In the current economic climate and with all that has happened over the last 14 years, Brexit, Covid, Wars, Government greed, Corruption in high places on a biblical scale its a wonder any business is still running, in fact many hundreds of thousands are not!

Message 25 of 31
See Most Recent

@jmt1981 wrote:

I've heard bad things about vinted, apparently lots of people saying they never got things then getting refunds, sort of like ebay circa 2010-2017, i noticed the prices people get are quite low also, basically the worse of both era's of ebay.

I think it's brilliant.  Listed some stuff there this week and it sold in minutes.  Other stuff not sold yet but getting a lot of favourites.  That site actually DOES remind me of the good old days of Ebay.  People can actually find your items too, which helps.  

When they roll out Vinted Pro I seriously think it's going to be even quieter on this place, for a lot of categories anyway.  Perhaps that's why Ebay is focusing on motors, luxury watches and stuff like that...seems like they've given up on a lot of categories.

Vinted's app is also so much simpler and easier to use.  Everything to do with Ebay just feels clunky.  

Message 26 of 31
See Most Recent

20 years ago there's weren't many charity shops or car boot sales 

Sort of correct charity shops yes they are very much taking over the high street.

Car boots i disagrre there are far less and sunday markets have disappeared. 20 years a i stood these and now they have all gone. And car boots locally as in less than half an hour drive there where 20 years ago at least 120 now barley 20. And i beleive 2 more will be disppearing soon.

But ebay is treated as car boot sale by allot of buyers, Iv'e been doing ebay for 18 years and my sales have plummeted over last 2 years reason only one less money about.

Message 27 of 31
See Most Recent

Yes, ebay had gone steadily downhill for years certainly for 2nd hand items which was what mostly sold on here. in early 2022 I was averaging about 25 sales per month now I'm lucky to get 6. You have to remember if you turn on the promoted listing tab because someone offered me £10 for a £15 item, I stupidly accepted it but didn't realise it was a promoted listing so got stung with double the fees of a normal listing as well as only getting £10 for the item.

Message 28 of 31
See Most Recent

In my town, there were too many charity shops so some closed down like in many places.  There should have still been demand on ebay but with the shocking Royal M price increases in 2023 for large letter post, people simply stopped buying many things so I had to end many listings & sell to ziffit etc. or as joblots on Facebook but FB marketplace can also be very slow.

Message 29 of 31
See Most Recent

Well said .. as a buyer for some reason Ebay blocked my Visa card for a £5.99 air filter 2 days later and 6 different people I spoke too .. Still not resolved .. bought the filter from somewhere else  .. 

I feel for you .. N Fareham 🇬🇧 

Message 30 of 31
See Most Recent

Yes you're right and now funding the genocidal state of Israel. HMRC have made the rules around this deliberately vague so people carry on selling their stuff, thinking they're exempt and then getting slapped with a tax bill at the end of the financial year.

Message 31 of 31
See Most Recent
Got selling related questions? Start here: