Answer
the_hoardists
Community Member
Accepted Solution
Is the Global Postage Program just a con?

To quote from ebay's own blurb:

"Import charges include certain fees, such as export classification, importation risk premium, and variance fees, which are assessed by the global postage provider as part of the services provided by the Global Postage Programme. These fees are in addition to the customs duties and taxes imposed by country tax and customs officials."

Perhaps I'm missing something but it just sounds like I'm still going to have to pay tax and handling as I always have, but now I'll be charged a load of upfront fees that I never used to have to pay.

Accepted Solutions: 2
jambuttyminer
Community Member
Answered
in reply to the_hoardists

It certainly seems that way.

People who've paid it have still been charged customs fees, and in some cases it's been charged when the goods have been low value and wouldn't have incurred any customs charges anyway.

plpmr
Community Member
Answered

Nothing surprises me regarding this programme, Ebay also say elsewhere -

"When you purchase an item through the Global Postage Programme, you receive international tracking at no additional charge and pay any applicable import charges upfront. There are no additional charges at delivery. "

Other Answers: 2
the_hoardists
Community Member
Answered

In that case I am wondering whether I should speak to trading standards.  Not sure how the jurisdiction falls as ebay is US based but clearly the "no additional charges" headline is misleading.

musdeco
Community Member
Answered

This strikes me as a money making scheme, I was just going to buy  an item under £20 and the seller who was part of the scheme wanted an extra $15, the item would have been free of duty due to its low value if posted by USPS . So out of principal didn't buy the item. The other excuses they give such as tracking, handling etc., are a smokescreen to gain a huge amount in import fees which are never required to be paid on low value items.