Changes in Postage charges

Hi all, I'm newbie to selling with Ebay, I had listed a number of items for all, working my way through the listing, descriptions, sizes, colour, photo etc., etc., then got to the postage options, I selected Evri, as I have used them many times, on choosing the Evri delivery option, it gave me a list of charges, which I chose the amount from their list. So having just sold an item to someone from the Channel Islands and been paid in full, including the postage (£2.94), I now find that I have to pay £8.31 for the postage. (the item only sold for £5 !!) I'm totally confused 😕 🙁

Message 1 of 6
See Most Recent
5 REPLIES 5

The Channel Islands are not strictly part of the UK and couriers charge a hefty excess fee.  But, as long as your item is a reasonable size, you can use Royal Mail instead who don't charge the excess. You should explain to the buyer as changing carrier is not something you should usually do.

You can exclude the Channel Islands, Isle of Man etc,  from places you post to to avoid this sort of problem in the future.

Message 2 of 6
See Most Recent

Hi, thanks for your reply, I do see what you're saying, but as I didn't know they were from the Channel Islands until they had bought and paid for the item, so it was impossible to change the amount of postage that had been paid.  They chose the method of delivery.

Surely there must be a way for Ebay to recalulate the postage amount, using the members address and then charge them accordingly. I've used another site and sold many items and never had any problems with being paid the correct amount of postage.

Message 3 of 6
See Most Recent

You can do a partial refund just message the explain as you have here. Tell them once you know the cost you will refund the difference. If they agree switch to royal mail who do not charge extra for the channel islands.

Ebay should adjust the fees automatcly

You can come back if you dont know how to refund them 

Message 4 of 6
See Most Recent

Hi Moldosgifts,

Thanks for your suggestion, I did chat with the buyer and understandably, they weren't willing to pay the £8+ extra as the item was only £5. TBH Ebay haven't really been very helpful, so I've have given them a fully refund and will be listing it on another selling site. I've just been through my other listings and adjusted the postage, but the rates that are being quoted are pretty steep, so expecting to sell much. 

Message 5 of 6
See Most Recent

I understand but ask yourself how do us experienced sellers do it. So you can exclude locations or use a service the delivers to the extreme locations. RM charge the same for channel islands and shetalnd as they do for london. They are little cheaper on the large letter items slightly dearer on the parcels. Special delivery get full tracking and signauter and get it there faster. Or you can use the unreliable evri.

But dont give up best if luck

Message 6 of 6
See Most Recent