Weekly Chat with the eBay Community Team- 01.05.24 @2pm

Hi everybody!

The Community Chat will open at 2pm and will remain open until 3pm on Wednesday. After that it will be closed for further questions. Of course, we will continue to take care of answering any questions that may still be unanswered—We’ll get to everything as quickly as possible. 

Please ask your questions in the thread below. In order to be able to answer your questions as quickly as possible, we ask you to have one question per post. Of course, you can make as many posts as you like in the Chat- the more the merrier!

Our eBay Community Team is made up of dave@ebay and marco@ebay. Between us, we have knowledge in Buying, Selling, Fulfilment, Payments, and the Community itself. Anything we aren’t sure on we’ll know the people who will be! Please ask us any questions you may have and we’ll do all we can to support. 

To ask your question, click Reply in the lower-right corner of this post, type your question, and click Reply between 2pm and 3pm. The community team will answer each incoming question in chronological order, and will quote the original question in each answer. 

Please note that any reply without a question to the community team or discussion replies may be removed from the chat. We want to keep on track to get through as many questions as possible. We welcome all discussion to be moved to the discussion boards. 

If you missed the weekly chat time, please ask your question in the community boards and tag us or we will be back next week with another chat! 

Many thanks,

Your eBay Community Team

Available via Email for Community-related inquiries:
contactcommunity@ebay.comeBay
Message 1 of 25
See Most Recent
24 REPLIES 24

Hi,

Want to start this off with a thanks to dave@ebay for putting me in touch with James from the shipping team, was able to finally get issues across to management without having to drive 3 hours for an open event/Roadshow.

This brings me to the question, when we are told issues we bring up, the two main ones being the EDD being incorrect and reporting businesses on private accounts we are always told these are passed to the relevant teams but after speaking to James who is a shipping team manager, Sholto (at the Roadshow), 7 other eBay staff members (all at Leicester) and multiple at the Manchester Open Event over 6 months ago none seem to have any idea about either of these issues, and lets be honest they have been brought up for months if not years, if they do not know about them who actually has the issues (one of which is a legal issue) been passed to as it seems the relevant team arent really doing what they should be doing?

I mentioned to James about coming into the weekly chats, again something I brought up and was told its a great idea and would save them so much time, but he had never been asked and didnt know how it would be possible but agreed with me that it would be a great idea. 

It seems like we highlight the issues, the community team tell us its either not an issue or give us a route to report buyers (not for being a business so AI ignores it) then passes it on but nothing gets done, is there any way you can pass the issues to departments with some power who actually fix issues within weeks not months or years. 

Sorry for the rant but 3 times I've spoken to managers who really should know the issues as the community team have told us they have been passed on but each and every time they have no idea about said issues. It seems like we are wasting our time highlight the issues and law breaking eBay allow on their site.

Message 2 of 25
See Most Recent

Good Afternoon everyone!

May I put this scenario to you.

We always tell sellers here, never to refund until their item is back with them.  What happens then, if the buyer sends the item back , fully tracked,  be it a straight return or one for NAD and Royal Mail / courier service used , loses the item,  it doesn't reach the seller.

3 days pass no item, so seller is not refunding,  but buyer of course escalates as they sent the item,  tracked,  and on time. SSeller pays a fee and gets a damaging defect.

Or,  does eBay send a message item has been delivered, ' you have 48 hours to refund'.

Thanks.

Message 3 of 25
See Most Recent

Good afternoon

Have you any further up dates from the shipping team over the incorrect estimated delivery dates ebay are providing the sellers?  

Today it appears worse than ever, please see attached screen shot of todays issue, so this can be reported.  

Buyer purchased an item at 7.43pm last night.  The ebay label was printed off this morning and dropped off at the shop for collection on a free, three working day delivery.  The estimated delivery date is telling the buyer it will arrive TODAY or tomorrow.  This is happening to every postage label we have printed off today.

I also see that ebay have not taken into account the bank holiday Monday either.  We were told over the Easter period there would be some grace time with delivery time scales, but no, ebay still included Good Friday , Easter Sunday and bank holiday Monday as delivery dates.

There are many sellers including myself that have allocated time to provide evidence to the shipping team and on this chat, and we have heard nothing back, it just feels like its lip service.    For a company that is quick to punish sellers if they do not respond fast to buyers issues, this is pretty poor.

Whilst I appreciate this is not your fault, you represent ebay, and I hope that you follow up with the issues and liaise with the shipping team over this, as it appears you are the only point of contact we have on here.

Best wishes

Message 4 of 25
See Most Recent

@tressygirl wrote:

Good Afternoon everyone!

May I put this scenario to you.

We always tell sellers here, never to refund until their item is back with them.  What happens then, if the buyer sends the item back , fully tracked,  be it a straight return or one for NAD and Royal Mail / courier service used , loses the item,  it doesn't reach the seller.

3 days pass no item, so seller is not refunding,  but buyer of course escalates as they sent the item,  tracked,  and on time. SSeller pays a fee and gets a damaging defect.

Or,  does eBay send a message item has been delivered, ' you have 48 hours to refund'.

Thanks.

Hi tressygirl, thanks for your question.

That depends, if we follow the normal procedure for returns, the seller can issue a refund once the item is received and they have 2 business days to issue a refund. Now, if the return is a not as described return, and the seller had to provide a returns label, the seller would need to issue a refund eventually even if the item is lost in transit by the courier, failing to do so means that the buyer could escalate the case and if we have to step in to issue a refund, no fees would be credited back. They would need to escalate that with the courier directly to get a refund/compensation for the item lost in transit.

On the other hand, if the return was a change of mind and the buyer was responsible for returning the item, and the item gets lost in transit, the buyer will have to escalate that with the courier directly. In this scenario, the seller wouldn't need to issue a refund until they get the item back as the return was the buyer's responsibility.

Hope this helps!

Marco

I am currently away and will return on the 20th of May. Please expect a delay in my reply

Did you find your solution? Help other members by marking your problem as solved. Simply click on "Accept as solution" for the answer that helped you.
eBay
Message 5 of 25
See Most Recent

@pg_kicks wrote:

Hi,

Want to start this off with a thanks to dave@ebay for putting me in touch with James from the shipping team, was able to finally get issues across to management without having to drive 3 hours for an open event/Roadshow.

This brings me to the question, when we are told issues we bring up, the two main ones being the EDD being incorrect and reporting businesses on private accounts we are always told these are passed to the relevant teams but after speaking to James who is a shipping team manager, Sholto (at the Roadshow), 7 other eBay staff members (all at Leicester) and multiple at the Manchester Open Event over 6 months ago none seem to have any idea about either of these issues, and lets be honest they have been brought up for months if not years, if they do not know about them who actually has the issues (one of which is a legal issue) been passed to as it seems the relevant team arent really doing what they should be doing?

I mentioned to James about coming into the weekly chats, again something I brought up and was told its a great idea and would save them so much time, but he had never been asked and didnt know how it would be possible but agreed with me that it would be a great idea. 

It seems like we highlight the issues, the community team tell us its either not an issue or give us a route to report buyers (not for being a business so AI ignores it) then passes it on but nothing gets done, is there any way you can pass the issues to departments with some power who actually fix issues within weeks not months or years. 

Sorry for the rant but 3 times I've spoken to managers who really should know the issues as the community team have told us they have been passed on but each and every time they have no idea about said issues. It seems like we are wasting our time highlight the issues and law breaking eBay allow on their site.

Hi @pg_kicks 

Thanks for all the above. 

We do indeed pass all the feedback from the Community to the relevant teams. When you spoke to James for example, he is focused on shipping so would probably not be aware of issues affecting other parts of the business. He does read through the Community and we also send any posts that relate to his department on to him. 

I understand there is no actual option that is titled report a business trading as a private seller but the way we have shown is the correct way to send these reports through the site. We have taken this on this process and escalated it to be reviewed. 

Thanks,

Dave

Did you find your solution? Help other members by marking your problem as solved. Simply click on "Accept as solution" for the answer that helped you.
eBay
Message 6 of 25
See Most Recent

@lincolnshiremarine wrote:

Good afternoon

Have you any further up dates from the shipping team over the incorrect estimated delivery dates ebay are providing the sellers?  

Today it appears worse than ever, please see attached screen shot of todays issue, so this can be reported.  

Buyer purchased an item at 7.43pm last night.  The ebay label was printed off this morning and dropped off at the shop for collection on a free, three working day delivery.  The estimated delivery date is telling the buyer it will arrive TODAY or tomorrow.  This is happening to every postage label we have printed off today.

I also see that ebay have not taken into account the bank holiday Monday either.  We were told over the Easter period there would be some grace time with delivery time scales, but no, ebay still included Good Friday , Easter Sunday and bank holiday Monday as delivery dates.

There are many sellers including myself that have allocated time to provide evidence to the shipping team and on this chat, and we have heard nothing back, it just feels like its lip service.    For a company that is quick to punish sellers if they do not respond fast to buyers issues, this is pretty poor.

Whilst I appreciate this is not your fault, you represent ebay, and I hope that you follow up with the issues and liaise with the shipping team over this, as it appears you are the only point of contact we have on here.

Best wishes

Hi lincolnshiremarine, thanks for your message.

We have no further updates at the moment. However, I will be happy to flag this with them today, and forward that screenshot as well, so they can look into it. Anything else, please feel free to let us know as usual.

Thank you,

Marco

I am currently away and will return on the 20th of May. Please expect a delay in my reply

eBay
Message 7 of 25
See Most Recent

Thanks for that marco,  it does partly answer my question.

However, my question was,   how would a seller Know the item sent and tracked but is lost?  They are waiting and as we tell sellers,  don't refund until it's with you, they may think the buyer is not returning the item.

3 days pass,  and the buyer escalates!

What happens here?

Message 8 of 25
See Most Recent

Hello,

I have had a recent problem with a buyer supplying an  address that wasn`t recognized by Royal Mail in that she added a letter arbitrarily into the address.

I was concerned as the item was expensive and if the item was ` lost` then RM could say the address wasn`t in the dropdown.

Her response was to issue a negative which I feel is deeply unfair as I ha

ve been ` punished` for a whole year which seems very severe p[articularly as it impacts on my present and future sales.

Please could I have your response.  Thank you.

Message 9 of 25
See Most Recent

@tressygirl wrote:

Thanks for that marco,  it does partly answer my question.

However, my question was,   how would a seller Know the item sent and tracked but is lost?  They are waiting and as we tell sellers,  don't refund until it's with you, they may think the buyer is not returning the item.

3 days pass,  and the buyer escalates!

What happens here?

Thanks for your reply, tressygirl.

The 3 business days period is for the seller to take actions basically when a case if filed, not much more. So, after the seller has provided the returns label is up to the buyer to send the item back, and we can confirm that with the tracking information. If the label provided has not been scanned it means it hasn't been sent, so the seller can ask us to step in to close the case for them. If the label is scanned and we can see the item in transit, but it never reaches its destination, then that would be considered as lost and in that scenario the seller would need to contact the courier for further escalations. This scenario is of course based on a not as described return.

Thank you,

Marco

eBay
Message 10 of 25
See Most Recent

Dear Marco

Thank you for your reply, and I would be grateful if you could pass over this latest issue. 

I have also been speaking to James at the shipping team, with reference the estimated delivery dates, so perhaps if you do have direct contact with him,  you can pass over this latest one directly to him.

I am not sure what other evidence ebay needs to come to the realisation that there is an issue with the EDD'S. 

Best wishes and thank you for your time.  

Message 11 of 25
See Most Recent

There is an ongoing problem with the postage page which seem to continually want to turn the address around whilst telling us that the original was wrong:

Warning: the postage address City (Newbury) may be wrong. We think it should be Newbury, Kingsclere. Change it for me

Warning: the postage address City (Meppershall) may be wrong. We think it should be Shefford, Meppershall. Change it for m

Then it compounds the error by suggesting the item could be sent by letter post as it is the buyers choice.

Please could this be looked at as it is contunually forwarded to the ` back office` but nothing seems to happen.....

oyal Mail 2nd Class Letter
BUYER SELECTED
Up to 100 g with maximum dimensions of 24 x 16.5 x 0.5 cm.
NoYesUp to £20.00
3 - 4 May
£0.85
Message 12 of 25
See Most Recent

@lincolnshiremarine wrote:

Dear Marco

Thank you for your reply, and I would be grateful if you could pass over this latest issue. 

I have also been speaking to James at the shipping team, with reference the estimated delivery dates, so perhaps if you do have direct contact with him,  you can pass over this latest one directly to him.

I am not sure what other evidence ebay needs to come to the realisation that there is an issue with the EDD'S. 

Best wishes and thank you for your time.  

Thanks for your reply, lincolnshiremarine

Yes, absolutely! If you see any other examples about the bank holiday not being taken into consideration, please send them to me and I'll make sure to send those over as well, if the weekly chat is closed by then, please feel free to create a thread and tag me on it.

Have a good one,

Marco

eBay
Message 13 of 25
See Most Recent

Hi, thanks again to be clear,  in effect the seller may not know the item is lost,  they patiently wait, but item is lost, buyer escalates, seller pays a fee and gets a defect as they had no idea the item was lost.

This would not be the seller's fault would that fee and defect be removed?  Would CS see this was not the seller's fault?

Message 14 of 25
See Most Recent

@*gosforthgirl* wrote:

Hello,

I have had a recent problem with a buyer supplying an  address that wasn`t recognized by Royal Mail in that she added a letter arbitrarily into the address.

I was concerned as the item was expensive and if the item was ` lost` then RM could say the address wasn`t in the dropdown.

Her response was to issue a negative which I feel is deeply unfair as I ha

ve been ` punished` for a whole year which seems very severe p[articularly as it impacts on my present and future sales.

Please could I have your response.  Thank you.

Hi @*gosforthgirl* 

Unfortunately we cant handle feedback appeals here. We cant see the details of the transaction so we cant comment on what may have happened. If you contact one of the customer support channels they will be able to review it with you. 

Thanks,

Dave

eBay
Message 15 of 25
See Most Recent

Hello,

Please could the cut off time of four days for payment be reviewed.

I generally have several sales that do not get paid and four days does seem to be overly generous.

I`d also appreciate if the music on Ebay could be renewed as the same tape has been in existence for over ten years.

" I`ll bring the sunshine and you`ll bring the wiiiinnneee!`  Really!

Message 16 of 25
See Most Recent

@*gosforthgirl* wrote:

There is an ongoing problem with the postage page which seem to continually want to turn the address around whilst telling us that the original was wrong:

Warning: the postage address City (Newbury) may be wrong. We think it should be Newbury, Kingsclere. Change it for me

Warning: the postage address City (Meppershall) may be wrong. We think it should be Shefford, Meppershall. Change it for m

Then it compounds the error by suggesting the item could be sent by letter post as it is the buyers choice.

Please could this be looked at as it is contunually forwarded to the ` back office` but nothing seems to happen.....

oyal Mail 2nd Class Letter
BUYER SELECTED
Up to 100 g with maximum dimensions of 24 x 16.5 x 0.5 cm.
No Yes Up to £20.00
3 - 4 May
£0.85

Hi @*gosforthgirl* 

Ive asked the Shipping Team to review this. Ill let you know what they say as soon as they come back to me. 

Thanks,

Dave

eBay
Message 17 of 25
See Most Recent

@tressygirl wrote:

Hi, thanks again to be clear,  in effect the seller may not know the item is lost,  they patiently wait, but item is lost, buyer escalates, seller pays a fee and gets a defect as they had no idea the item was lost.

This would not be the seller's fault would that fee and defect be removed?  Would CS see this was not the seller's fault?

Thanks for your reply, tressygirl

As advised before, if the item is in transit, but it never reaches its destination, it'd be considered as lost. It is completely up to the seller whether they want to issue a refund or not, they can ask the buyer to wait a bit longer if they wish as well, but as we know, buyers are entitled to escalate the case for a refund under these circumstances. Unfortunately, we only have the tracking information to follow this up, and if we have to step in to issue a refund, a defect might be dropped on the account and fees will not be credited back as per our policies.

Thank you,

Marco

eBay
Message 18 of 25
See Most Recent

Hiya,  Dave and Marco, thanks for all you do for the community.

whats the difference between a Private seller and a Business seller? If you make less than £500 in revenue, are you a business seller?

Iand can you please clarify if HMRC is been sent a report for every ebay seller, thanks team

Message 19 of 25
See Most Recent

If a buyer purchased the Royal Mail label, is it purchased via eBays RM account like previously? Just if this is the case its eBay who needs to open the claim, unless eBay are willing to give address and account number as any refund is paid out automatically to the business account. I had this exact fight with eBay months ago and only when I spoke to a manager who knew the system did they admit the previous ebay staff were incorrect.

Message 20 of 25
See Most Recent
About this Weekly Chat!

Welcome to the Weekly Chat with the eBay Community Team! Unless otherwise noted, chats occur every Wednesday from 2pm to 3pm.

Our Community Team will be in the Chats to help with the questions.

If you have multiple questions please open a post per question so we can get back to them individually. If it's something we can't answer right away we will get back to you after the chat has finished.