Watchers?

Got a feeling that most of the watchers on my items for sale aren't real. Does eBay display watchers on items so you keep them on the site in the hope they sell so they can have their slice of the pie? I say this as I've had the same amount of watchers on an item I have for sale 3 times, but yet don't get a bid. You should be able to view who's watching so you know that they're real and be able to weed the idiots out before they bid with no intention of paying.

Message 1 of 70
See Most Recent
69 REPLIES 69

Watchers?

On the topic of why people watch without buying soon after, or after receiving an offer:

Some things I watch because they're outside my budget for that type of item, or I feel they're slightly overpriced but the seller looks good, or there's something extra special about the item, so if I ever get some mad money, I'll be straight there buying it. That's probably the most common reason.

Sometimes they're a good example of a type of item I like and might want later, but I don't have the time/energy to pursue that project right now. My health's not great, so that happens a lot.

My Saved Sellers is full, so I have a few things on long-term Watch because I like the look of the seller and the items they list. Even if the item sells, Watch keeps the seller's details. I always forget to backup bookmarks, so I use Watch for the important things.

Occasionally the item is just so beautiful, hideous, weird, or interesting, that I'm curious about it and want to be able to find it again.

None of this has sinister intent, it's not even intended to prompt the seller to make me an offer. BUT, all items I watch are a quantum leap more likely to end up being bought by me, than things I remember seeing but can't be bothered to hunt up again.

There's one more thing  @tgillan01332  - if I'm on the fence on an item and I see it has Watchers, I am that bit more likely to buy, because I'll assume the sharks are circling, maybe getting offers from the seller, maybe about to get paid and lay down the money, and it does indicate an item's getting a lot of interest, so that might force my hand.

Last year I overpaid by almost 100% (comparing like for like) on something specifically because it was a really attractive example and had a ton of Watchers, I figured a lot of them had the same issue with the price that I had, but, it was a really NICE thing... someone was going to have to cough up the extra and I decided it was going to be me. Not a moment's regret, and I love it! If it had no interest, I might have delayed because of the price, and eventually lost interest.

So even Watchers who don't buy nor intend to can have a positive effect in motivating a sale! 😉

Message 61 of 70
See Most Recent

Watchers?

I watch items because eBay doesn't have wish list option (as far as I'm aware). 

I put something on my watch list if it's something I want but, I'm waiting for payday,  or I like it, but I'm not sure yet. I usually end up buying the things I watch, but I would think watching an item you're not quite sure about or can't afford yet would be better than a bid you won't be able to pay for, or might end up not wanting after all.

Message 62 of 70
See Most Recent

Watchers?

Why worry about watchers as most watchers are not customers it is just numbers to me & my only interests is selling on ebay and selling away from ebay to friends of friends etc, keeping tabs on numbers of watchers is a waiste of time and really boring.

Message 63 of 70
See Most Recent

Watchers?

Only window watchers not customers just relist like i do.

Message 64 of 70
See Most Recent

Watchers?

I've noticed my listing shows say 11 watchers, but when I go to send an offer it only sends 4.  Making me think only 4 are genuine?

I've seen people say they turn off messaging, but why? Surely if you're watching an item you'd want be offered a discount, and be notified about the offer too. Puzzling

Message 65 of 70
See Most Recent

Watchers?

@schumacher_porsche wrote:

I've noticed my listing shows say 11 watchers, but when I go to send an offer it only sends 4.  Making me think only 4 are genuine?

I've seen people say they turn off messaging, but why? Surely if you're watching an item you'd want be offered a discount, and be notified about the offer too. Puzzling

If your item has been relisted, it is possible that you have already sent offers to the other 7. (One of the benefits of "Sell Similar" is that it wipes the slate and all your watchers are recent, whereas "Re-list" carries over old watchers and so is stale.)

Message 66 of 70
See Most Recent

Watchers?

Thanks, but I never use re list. Listings are started fresh or using sell similar, some times weeks apart from when the original ended.

Message 67 of 70
See Most Recent

Watchers?

This comment gives an insight to the mentality of Ebay buyers. 

In my opinion they're skinflints who, as often as not, seek something for virtually nothing.

This person crowed about saving a paltry £4.

I started to sell some unwanted items on Ebay in November 2023 but between the skinflints and misers,  the drunken bidders who don't pay or cancel orders and Ebay's own outrageous, unfathomable and unfair charging policies I am slowly, but surely changing to other platforms.

I have had a few smashing buyers who were a pleasure to deal with, but overall the whole selling process on Ebay seems a tawdry affair and leaves a figurative bad taste in my mouth.

As for the so-called watchers, we'll, they're just voyeurs.

Message 68 of 70
See Most Recent

Watchers?

Firstly, i don't 'seek' something for nothing, i spend alot of money on this site, but i'm not an idiot either, if i get a chance to save money, like anyone, i'll take it and its not about crowing over £4, because its £4 on one item, £2 on another, £10 on another, which all adds up. For the record, these sellers send the buyers the offers because they want to sell the item, so you can't then blame them and call them skinflints. If 'make an offer' or 'send offer' didn't work, they wouldn't be used and would be gone.

If the taste in your mouth is that bad, dont sell on here, its not mandatory!

Message 69 of 70
See Most Recent

Watchers?

Watchers mean nothing I've found, just as views mean very little as I don't think that count works at all well. The only thing that matters is buyers and they'll arrive at any time. I've found being proactive is best, changing the title, adjusting the price or postage but mainly including keywords that people search on.  Some changes might be picked up by ebay and sent to those viewers in email as free promotion.

Message 70 of 70
See Most Recent
Got selling related questions? Start here: