Watchers?

Got a feeling that most of the watchers on my items for sale aren't real. Does eBay display watchers on items so you keep them on the site in the hope they sell so they can have their slice of the pie? I say this as I've had the same amount of watchers on an item I have for sale 3 times, but yet don't get a bid. You should be able to view who's watching so you know that they're real and be able to weed the idiots out before they bid with no intention of paying.

Message 1 of 70
See Most Recent
69 REPLIES 69

Watchers?

`Don't believe it for a minute. You say you have nearly 500 items for sale! When I've looked at your items it says " items for sale 0"? Your as fake as so called eBay watchers.`

i don`t sell on this account that`s why, i have another account for that.

and i`m going to assume the heat is getting to you with the attitude in some of your posts.

Why the hell would ebay put fake watchers on peoples items, that even sounds ridiculous, like i said, there are many reasons why people watch stuff, don`t make a mountain out of a molehill!

Message 41 of 70
See Most Recent

Watchers?

The fact that there are genuine watchers is not in doubt.

Because you and Archie are watching doesn't answer the question. Thanks for your time. If you have an actual answer, I'm all ears.

Message 42 of 70
See Most Recent

Watchers?

I added all 15 of his listings but the pool float is the only one showing any watchers whereas this seller says he has 29 watchers over the others?

Message 43 of 70
See Most Recent

Watchers?

One way to test your theory is to use another account to add and remove  items to the watch list, and see what happens.

Select one of your items (not right now as you are being manipulated by the board members) then use another account and put the item on your watch list, then remove it again, do that several times to see if it is ebay manipulating the list.

I am not an engager, I am a number.
Message 44 of 70
See Most Recent

Watchers?

Archie, think you've messaged the wrong person?

Now is the reason you can't see the other watchers maybe because they are targeted and are not real as I said?

Message 45 of 70
See Most Recent

Watchers?

Indeed I did not, but this one is for you:

To help us help you, please take a screen shot of your seller page showing the 29 watchers on the items other than the pool float.

Message 46 of 70
See Most Recent

Watchers?

Perfect, thanks.

The singly watched items are all me... but the other "watchers" I still cannot see from my Watch List apart from the pool float.

We have just proven that there are clearly issues here...

I shall now take off my watches and all your stats should go down by 1 count.

Message 48 of 70
See Most Recent

Watchers?

I just don't understand how they can end with the same amount of watchers each time. I'll keep an eye on the views this time and see if they match up each month. Thanks for finally seeing what I'm on about.

Message 49 of 70
See Most Recent

Watchers?

I use the Watchlist to corral potential purchases and sort them out at the end of a buying-browser session (which can last all weekend). I might watch for a days if it's something I want but feel the price asked is a bit steep, so I use Watch as a hold in case I find a better price or condition (which feels like it happens only 50:50), or as a reminder to buy come pay-day, or if I find the item for the same (or even fractionally more) from a seller I buy from regularly.

I don't use the Basket to sort as I once accidentally (on a different platform) bought them all before I could sort. I've received only a few offers, all from the same seller (and accepted).

I don't know how many others do the same as me. I know one or two who do it sometimes.

Isn't that how selling goes whether online or in a bricks & mortar shop - you can't expect to sell to the first person/first Watcher. At least with Watching they (or rivals!) have got your item in mind.

Also, a Watcher who doesn't buy might be an actual buyer another time (I've done that, quite often).

It's not as if, as in bricks & mortar shops, a potential buyer has irritatingly opened your item and handled it without intending to buy.

Message 50 of 70
See Most Recent

Watchers?

Why do so many threads on here quickly degenerate into abuse? It reminds me of the bad old days of the Amazon Sellers Forum which, as a result, had to be monitored 24/7 and bans were handed out with gay abandon.

Message 51 of 70
See Most Recent

Watchers?

I can only speak for myself but I often put a watch on all the listings for the same desired item in order to observe all those sellers lowering their price by increments in an attempt to present the most attractive offer.

And I may not buy the item from those sellers at all as I like to shop around across several online sites and various local stores.

Message 52 of 70
See Most Recent

Watchers?

Thanks for your time and help. I'll just have to put up with it.

Message 53 of 70
See Most Recent

Watchers?

Same here. More than once I've bid almost up to another seller's BIN price, then been outbid (perhaps the winner didn't realise they were paying more than they needed to) and gone straight to the BIN item and bought it, but each time meant I had an item on my Watchlist for nearly 7 days which was the length of the auction. By "price" I mean including any p&p.

I actually mean "can't get to the BIN item fast enough" in case other disappointed bidders had the same idea.

Message 54 of 70
See Most Recent

Watchers?

@tgillan01332 wrote:

Thanks for your interest in the question. 3 times in a row the same amount of watchers? I'll have to keep an eye on the views to see if they're the same.

Probably, as you say, fake. First time I listed an item after over 1 year, 70 views 7 watchers, no sale. Relisted it, 2 views, cancelled and relisted, 2 views, cancelled and tried selling similar to see if it made a difference...2 views. Of course according to the usual crew all is well.

1 year absence and things on ebay, and the forums, are exactly the same. Feel free to pile in with the flag waving.

Message 55 of 70
See Most Recent

Watchers?

Thanks for your reply. I went through my items with another eBay member. He said that I had only 8 watchers on 1 item and  0 on the other 14 items? I looked and counted 29 watchers over the 15 items? He couldn't see the other watcher numbers. That's why I feel that they are being manipulated targeting the seller. Now I've been told by other members that eBay have blocked these bots manipulating figures. In my opinion this only leaves eBay as the main suspect in doing this if no outside source is able to do so.

Message 56 of 70
See Most Recent

Watchers?

Was the other member just looking at your listings, rather than your account details?

If they were just looking at your listings there would be a difference between the amount of watchers they could see, and the amount you see on your account. Ebay only show the number of watchers on the listing page when it reaches a certain amount - but in your account you can see the full amount of watchers, even if there is only 1 on an item.

So, the listing where he could see 8 watchers had obviously reached the required number for ebay to show on the listing, and the  14 that he thought had zero watchers could have each had low numbers of watchers which could bring the total 29 you could see in your account.

The watchers are real users, ebay do not add extra watchers on. A) there would be no point & B) they are too busy trying to break more important parts of the site 😞

Message 57 of 70
See Most Recent

Watchers?

I got the same problem. on my selling tab listings watchers amount aren't real. 

This is illegal to put people into fake information. While trying to send offer the amount drasticaly change.

Ebay is fake - beware. 

Message 58 of 70
See Most Recent

Watchers?

@paktofon1k wrote:

I got the same problem. on my selling tab listings watchers amount aren't real. 

This is illegal to put people into fake information. While trying to send offer the amount drasticaly change.

If you use the feature to send an offer to your watchers, not all of them will be eligible, so there will be a difference between the amount of people who've added your item to their watch list and those who receive the offer.

Message 59 of 70
See Most Recent

Watchers?

i have a question if someone could help please.

i was looking at my listings tonight and came across one that has 6 watchers, so i thought i`d send an offer to them all, however, when i was putting in the offer, i noticed one thing, it said `interested buyers` 1.

As the screenshot shows, there are 6 watchers, so how is only one is `interested`?

Untitled.jpg

Message 60 of 70
See Most Recent
Got selling related questions? Start here: