Watchers?

Got a feeling that most of the watchers on my items for sale aren't real. Does eBay display watchers on items so you keep them on the site in the hope they sell so they can have their slice of the pie? I say this as I've had the same amount of watchers on an item I have for sale 3 times, but yet don't get a bid. You should be able to view who's watching so you know that they're real and be able to weed the idiots out before they bid with no intention of paying.

Message 1 of 70
See Most Recent
69 REPLIES 69

Watchers?

I totally agree with your buyer and seller being good. What I question is if the figures are manipulated the interest is clouded, so you don't really have a true idea of what you maybe doing right or wrong.

As for quitting while being ahead. I don't ask questions very often on here because you always get the classic tactic of mock and the sense of trying to make the person asking the question feel inferior.

If I don't know the answer I'll ask the question in the hope someone has an answer. Isn't that what the community was started for and not as a friend's only platform?

Message 21 of 70
See Most Recent

Watchers?

You can send offers to your watchers and while you won't see their IDs you will see how much feedback each watcher has . Some people watch items in the hope they may get an offer at a reduced price. Some watchers are timewasters or maybe a competitor. Other watchers may be potential buyers waiting to get paid for an item they sold and cannot buy your item until their payment reaches their bank account. 

Message 22 of 70
See Most Recent

Watchers?

Wow your amazing!

Typical eBay community. Doesn't have an answer and just guess like myself. Shout as loud as we can and get them gone from our personal space. 

What a joke.

Total waste of time asking anything here.

Message 23 of 70
See Most Recent

Watchers?

@tgillan01332 wrote:

Wow your amazing!

Typical eBay community. Doesn't have an answer and just guess like myself. Shout as loud as we can and get them gone from our personal space. 

What a joke.

Total waste of time asking anything here.

Why is it a waste of time asking, you received your answers, I gave you my point of view, the watches are no longer manipulated as they used to be , they where not manipulated by ebay but the outside bots, that no longer applies so you get an accurate account of how many punters are watching your listings, which is good.

Being rude to posters who have being helping members for years just because they didn't give you the answers you wanted is not going to do you any favours, and could well be to your disavantage.

I am not an engager, I am a number.
Message 24 of 70
See Most Recent

Watchers?

I cannot see anything of his for sale either!

Be that as it may, I have recently put a watch on up to 20 items at a time because my Watch List helps me to keep track of desired items & warns me when an auction is about to finish, and in fixed price sales I do get an offer 90% of the time.

I therefore find the "Watch" facility an extremely useful tool.

Message 25 of 70
See Most Recent

Watchers?

I never asked the question about the reasons "Why" people watch an item.
What I asked is are they real?
All I get is replies that I know the answer to.
If nobody knows the answer just say "I don't know" and not reply for the sake of it.
Rightfully or wrongly in my opinion the figures are manipulated. The chances of any item ending with the same amount of watchers 3 times in a row and after a total of 90 plus days seems a little fishy to me.
With hitting those numbers consistently I should be doing the lottery and winning every month.

People were once told that the earth was flat and it was widely believed. Just because someone tells you that eBay manipulation has been sorted out isn't necessarily true. 

Can I ask you how you know it has been stamped out?

Message 26 of 70
See Most Recent

Watchers?

The answer is "yes, they are real".

When a listing for an item I was watching times out, eBay automatically carries my "watched" status over when the listing renews.

Message 27 of 70
See Most Recent

Watchers?

I'm not disputing its usefulness. It gives me an idea of things I can do to make an item more attractive to buyers. But if they are fake Watchers, it's a total waste of time.

Message 28 of 70
See Most Recent

Watchers?

One shouldn't assume Watchers are "fake". There can be any number of reasons why people Watch an auction without bidding e.g. rival sellers seeing what price (if any) is achieved, or Watching acts as a reminder to look at an item later such as towards the end of bidding. For the latter, some might intend to bid but then decide they don't want it after all - people go "off the boil" or other items become a priority or maybe even don't want to take the "risk" if a seller has significantly less than 100% feedback, all kinds of factors/mix.

Message 29 of 70
See Most Recent

Watchers?

They are not fake. There would be no need for ebay to add fake watchers.

Message 30 of 70
See Most Recent

Watchers?

I don't automatically relist so the watch count disappears. But you can't possibly claim that they are real as you have no way of confirming it.

Message 31 of 70
See Most Recent

Watchers?

I value your opinion but there's no way of confirming that it's correct.

Message 32 of 70
See Most Recent

Watchers?

What is the item out of interest, and is it fixed price or auction?

You currently have 15 items for sale and there are 9 watches on the pool float hammock but no interest elsewhere...

Message 33 of 70
See Most Recent

Watchers?

Aww thank you for the compliment .  I know i am amazing as my husband tells me almost daily  🙂

Message 34 of 70
See Most Recent

Watchers?

According to my count there are 8 watchers on the pool float and a total of 29 throughout the other items.

You obviously don't have an answer to the question so why reply?

Message 35 of 70
See Most Recent

Watchers?

There were 9 until I removed my watch.

There were no othe watchers that were apparent - I cannot explain why they weren't showing.

So which item is it that concerns you with it's 3 watchers?

Message 36 of 70
See Most Recent

Watchers?

You can't of removed one from your watchlist as there has been only 8 watchers all week?

There are multiple items it happens to. I won't think less of you if you don't have an answer. Just say.

Message 37 of 70
See Most Recent

Watchers?

Oh good grief!

Message 38 of 70
See Most Recent

Watchers?

So you're watching again? What does that prove? 

Message 39 of 70
See Most Recent

Watchers?

I have just added the pool float to my watch list - so you should see it go up by one. (I'll remove it later today)

It now says 2 watched in the last 24 hours - Archie and I, I guess, both of us real users who added it to their watch list.

Message 40 of 70
See Most Recent
Got selling related questions? Start here: