New Promoted listing terms (add to watchlist?)

Ebay have made a lot of changes to the terms around promoted listings; they promoted those new terms today but something caught my eye: the 'add to watchlist' feature as a promoted feature. A lot can be assumed.

"You expressly agree that your listings will be promoted via Ads. Ads may include text, graphics, a listing title, a listing description or other features and functionality eBay may make available, associate with or incorporate into your listing (e.g., “add to watchlist” icons)."

mmm? Are they going to make this a paid for feature? Is it a way to make it so add to watchlist is now counted as a promoted feature and we are charged for those that click this. The add to watchlist is becoming a big part of sales on eBay. Buyers are savvy and regularly use the feature to obtain a discount, maybe eBay want to earn some ad revenue from this. It's just strange to add it in and does it now mean they can charge us for it. For terms and conditions, it's not very clear why or what? Which makes me suspicious. 

Message 1 of 4
See Most Recent
3 REPLIES 3

I think you're reading too much into it, to be honest. They're just defining what constitutes a listing advert and giving an example of something that can be included under the description of "features and functionality" without being explicitly defined.

They could have just as easily have said:-

You expressly agree that your listings will be promoted via Ads. Ads may include text, graphics, a listing title, a listing description or other features and functionality eBay may make available, associate with or incorporate into your listing (e.g., "Buy It Now" buttons or prices).

It wouldn't have meant that they're planning to start to charge sellers to give buyers the ability to click the Buy It Now button or to see the price of the item.

Plus they already get paid for promoted listings items that are purchased after being added to the watchlist, providing the buyer adds the item to the watchlist from a promoted listings ad, then purchases the item within 30 days.

Message 2 of 4
See Most Recent

If this were the case there would have to be an opt out facility as ebay couldn't (shouldn't) introduce such a thing without one.

Message 3 of 4
See Most Recent

But with legalese you'd think if you can read something into it then that should raise a concern. 

I agree I thought the same but they worded it with 'eBay may make available' before it. Like they are covering their back on making something available that is connected to promoters from the add to watchlist. 

Maybe you are right, eBay are just helping us out to explain it rather than trying to make more money from advertising payments. 

Message 4 of 4
See Most Recent
Got business selling related questions? Start here: