extrascents_beauty
Community Member

Sending perfume and aftershave outside of the UK

Does anyone have a legal solution to shipping perfume and aftershave from the UK to international destinations? 

Please use plain text.
norseway53
Community Member

Re: Sending perfume and aftershave outside of the UK

in reply to extrascents_beauty

Surface mail (sea post) - check the RM site to see if the restrictions still apply.  Also check the restrictions for domestic mail as some of it is flown.

I bid, I win, I pay - you deliver
Please use plain text.
darren07976
Community Member

hi i have had 2 lighters (unfuelled") destroyed in the past week costing £120 with no compensation! they are also on the new list along with perfume and many other items which you used to be able to post by royal mail.They are also implementing these new rules to domestic postage in july,this is totally ridiculas as it isnt a problem in most countrys around the world.It is going to put many people out of bussiness and upset thousands of collectors because of some idiot at royal mail.I think we need to start emailing and writeing to royal mail to complain about these new draconian rules.

best wishes Darren

Please use plain text.
norseway53
Community Member

It is not a Royal Mail problem - you don't seem to have caught up on the latest regulations relating to shipment of goods by air - this is an international flight issue.  All carriers, couriers, postal services like RM are obliged to fall in line.

Please use plain text.
darren07976
Community Member

thats not the issue used petrol lighters which have not been used or fuelled for decades present absolutely no threat.They are completely inert its the same as sending a piece of metal its ridiculas,if your hobby was going to be stopped in this way you would feel the same and it will stop in the uk come july.

Please use plain text.
darren07976
Community Member

includes surface and air mail

Please use plain text.
extrascents_beauty
Community Member

Thanks for your answers - still no solution though!  RM's new rules appear to exclude all international post, not just airmail.  Norseway53 is quite correct that it's not a RM ruling but is a CAA initiative.  We've had at least 15 packages destroyed in the last 2 weeks, including International Signed For.  My complaint to RM is that there was no notice of these new rules, either by post or on their website, and when they destroy something they send you a stock letter that doesn't even tell you what was destroyed or to whom it was addressed, so you've got no choice but to sit and wait for Item Not Received complaints.

Please use plain text.
norseway53
Community Member

Thanks for your answers - still no solution though!  RM's new rules appear to exclude all international post, not just airmail.  Norseway53 is quite correct that it's not a RM ruling but is a CAA initiative.  We've had at least 15 packages destroyed in the last 2 weeks, including International Signed For.  My complaint to RM is that there was no notice of these new rules, either by post or on their website, and when they destroy something they send you a stock letter that doesn't even tell you what was destroyed or to whom it was addressed, so you've got no choice but to sit and wait for Item Not Received complaints.

The rules were published last year and the PO has an 'awareness' programme running.

There is no solution - you have to stop sending internationally.  You also need to check the domestic situation because some mail is flown internally.

Please use plain text.
extrascents_beauty
Community Member

The PO is probably better at communicating than is RM.  As Business Account holders, we receive notices by post and via the RM Business website.  The rules are dated 14/01/2013 and we received no communication beforehand and no notices were posted on the website home pages.

Please use plain text.
norseway53
Community Member

Your fragrances listings are still showing worldwide postage - you are going to have to amend them or you'll find yourself on the receiving end of some non-performance reports etc.:-(

Please use plain text.
extrascents_beauty
Community Member

Thanks for that.  I did a bulk update yesterday but does not seem to have worked on all items.

Please use plain text.
uk_west
Community Member

I posted a perfume to Sweden on the 14/01/13 and on the 01/02/13 I've got a packet from RM with my perfume packaging and no perfume+ a letter saying that they have disposed, or destroyed my item?? they can now have free presents for there wife or boyfriend. It would have been nice to know 6 months or a year in advance, to be able to get rid of stock before the new rules.

Please use plain text.
norseway53
Community Member

I posted a perfume to Sweden on the 14/01/13 and on the 01/02/13 I've got a packet from RM with my perfume packaging and no perfume+ a letter saying that they have disposed, or destroyed my item?? they can now have free presents for there wife or boyfriend. It would have been nice to know 6 months or a year in advance, to be able to get rid of stock before the new rules.

What makes you think that the items have been stolen - security destruction is usually well controlled.

Please use plain text.
bestever123
Community Member

Don't blame Royal Mail.You need to be very aware of this new international regulation. - it's not just perfume and after-shave.

The new restrictions apply to a host of items deemed restricted ( flammable, sharp, explosive, etc) or prohibited ( in particular lithium batteries).

Lithium batteries drive mobiles, laptops, etc. and a potentially flammable if shorted - Boeing Dreamliner investigations pending.

You may be able to send a mobile or laptop containing up to 2 lithium batteries provided they are installed, and the particular destination allows you, but a number of countries - including France and Germany - prohibite them completely.  Loose lithium batteries are prohibited to all destinations.

Go to your local Post Office. They have a leaflet explaining the new rules, and all Post Office counter staff are now required to check what you are posting - and reject the package at that point if you give the wrong answer!  Royal Mail are also checking, as already reported. If you try to cheat, you are unlikely to get your items back.

These rules will also apply within the UK from July. The only alternative is to use a commercial freight carrier, because they use dedicated non-passenger carrying aircraft. The cost of this option would I suspect rule out most EBAY traffic.

Please use plain text.
eve2960_3
Community Member

I send quite a lot of oil burner fragrance oils abroad, but it looks like I will have to stop now because they contain alcohol, not sure what % is in a 10ml bottle. I have been questioned about them by my local PO twice now and I get, I will let them go this time, but they really don't know if it comes under perfumes. Has anyone else had a problem with fragrance oils? From what she has just said,it includes here too.

Please use plain text.
londonskin
Community Member

Apologies if I get this posting wrong, I don't normally use message boards or any social media (just too busy.) Is there anyone else out there that wasn't informed about the new restrictions on sending perfume and aftershaves overseas? I wasn't, Ebay and Paypal weren't either and were dumbfounded to learn about it from me. I have a Royal Mail collection service that I pay plenty for and RM staff come to my house everyday. The comment from the RM manager that I complained to was 'we will look into why you were not informed'. I'm always keen to comply with the law when it comes to my business and I give customer service top priority. It's not so much that I lose 20% of my sales but that it's left me with a big mess to sort out. I have traced 16 perfume items that I sent overseas since the cut off date, 8 have got through or at least arrived in the destination country, 7 are still unaccounted for and I've had one notification of a beautiful and expensive gift set having been destroyed. It could have been worse but I'll probably have to refund about £500 to customers with missing items and may get neg feedback on top. As soon as I found out I removed all the International Postage rates from perfumes and aftershaves so now only post skin creams overseas. I've noticed that there's a few 'bigish' perfume and aftershave sellers on Ebay with international postage rates still up, any explanations or thoughts on this?

Please use plain text.
norseway53
Community Member

I send quite a lot of oil burner fragrance oils abroad, but it looks like I will have to stop now because they contain alcohol, not sure what % is in a 10ml bottle. I have been questioned about them by my local PO twice now and I get, I will let them go this time, but they really don't know if it comes under perfumes. Has anyone else had a problem with fragrance oils? From what she has just said,it includes here too.

If you don't know whether your items are banned then you'd better ask your supplier tomorrow.  Your PO should not be allowing them through if they're questionable - your responsibiity if something goes wrong in flight.

Please use plain text.
norseway53
Community Member

............I've noticed that there's a few 'bigish' perfume and aftershave sellers on Ebay with international postage rates still up, any explanations or thoughts on this?

The minute their stuff gets destroyed, they will stop listing.

Please use plain text.
extrascents_beauty
Community Member

eve2960:

I would have thought you are OK with the perfume oils.  The crucial thing is the flammable content, i.e. alcohol, and perfume oils are low or even free of alcohol.

londonskin:

You are quite right - the new regulations were very quietly introduced and we received no notification whatsoever, either on the RM website or by post (which is the usual method for important service changes).  We only found out about it when we started receiving "Item destroyed" letters.  To date we've had to refund £850 worth of orders, with more to come.  RM do not even tell you what was destroyed and to whom it was addressed, unless it was sent by international signed for.

Re your comment about large sellers, they perhaps don't yet know about it or they don't sell enough on Ebay or they're just being slow to update their listings.  I don't think it's because they've found a way round it, unless they're happy paying DHL £43 for a 1Kg package!

Please use plain text.
lpdingo
Community Member

No help, but R.M. are advertising for a new Senior Communications Manager! Twitter today.

Apparently, Ormond Jayne & Les Senteurs are looking for a shipper too.

The rules come from the U.N. 

Maybe UPS will sort something out - they don't ship via commercial airlines as they have their own.

Please use plain text.