steveain
Community Member

Royal Mail prohibited items

I ordered perfume and aftershave via ebay recently, all were delivered to me via Royal Mail with no problems. I then packaged them as Christmas presents, put them in a parcel and sent them to relatives by Royal Mail special delivery, along with a number of other presents. Even though I declared them at the post office, and and a hazard sticker was fixed to the parcel they have now decided that the parcel contains 'items suspected of being prohibited or dangerous'. Over a week later the parcel has yet to be delivered. Although at present, they can't even tell me where the parcel is, I've been assured that 'Royal Mail has controls in place to stop dangerous or prohibited goods entering our network which include the x-ray screening of mail and the examination of any contents identified as “suspect”.

I believe that Royal Mail are being selective on their use of these controls and would like to take the matter further, with a view to obtaining a refund on the money I paid for the special delivery. Are there any other buyers/sellers who have had similar problems with Royal Mail?

Please use plain text.
muvva!
Community Member

Re: Royal Mail prohibited items

in reply to steveain
It is up to the sender to check whether the items can be posted.

Royal mail will destroy the items - it is unlikely you will get them back.

There is a big list of prohibited items that you should check before posting items to prevent destruction.
Please use plain text.
ivy-rose02
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to steveain

With perfumes you are not allowed to send more than 4 in a package they must be new in orriginal packaing and all 4 bottles can`t way more than 100ml each ...not sure on that though.

Never had problems with perfumes with RM it even happend once that I posted a pefume at a small PO and the lady had no clue what to do and did not even put one of those stickers on it.

Please use plain text.
silkenrobe
Community Member

in reply to steveain
http://www.royalmail.com/personal/help-and-support/Tell-me-about-Restricted-Goods

Including eau de parfum, eau de toilette and alcohol-free perfumes, but excluding non-flammable perfumed creams, gels, oils or lotions.

Volume per item must not exceed 150ml. No more than four perfumes or aftershaves can be sent in any one package. The perfume or aftershave must be within its original retail packaging and then placed in strong outer packaging. The inner packagings must be packed, secured or cushioned to prevent breakage or leakage of their contents into the outer packaging.

there are other links within that one that explain how to send
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You will never persuade me to buy a mobile 'phone on ebay
Please use plain text.
gallovidian
Community Member

in reply to silkenrobe

When is an alcoholic liquid not a beverage? Mostly when it is a weakly alcoholic perfume. If it comes to arguing for your items (which you may not be given the chance to do), you could try arguing on this basis, from the same Royal Mail web page.

Pefume may well be under 70% alcohol, and after shave, cologne etc. almost certainly will be. In Kuwait I recall the marketing of eau de cologne without a smell, which is quite inventive when you think about it.

Alcoholic beverages and liquids (more than 24% ABV but not more than 70% ABV)

Including whisky, vodka and most spirits and liqueurs.

The items must be securely closed and placed in a leak-proof liner, such as a sealed polythene bag. Surround with absorbent material and sufficient cushioning material to protect each item from breakage. Volume must not exceed 1 litre per item. No more than two items can be sent in any one package. Mark as ‘FRAGILE’ when sending glass bottles. The sender’s name and return address must be clearly visible on the outer packaging.

These items must be presented at a Post Office® counter.

Alcoholic beverages and liquids with an alcohol content greater than 70% ABV are prohibited.

Please use plain text.
silkenrobe
Community Member

in reply to gallovidian
Gall, I struggle to get your posts sometimes and you always appear to be on the defensive. I don;t know whether or not you're joking -

I'll assume you are here, but scroll down for perfumes :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
gallovidian
Community Member

in reply to silkenrobe

silkenrobe wrote:
Gall, I struggle to get your posts sometimes and you always appear to be on the defensive. I don;t know whether or not you're joking -

I'll assume you are here, but scroll down for perfumes :smileyhappy:

Defensive against what, exactly? I was speaking more to the people who would get it, and if the OP ends up needing to argue for her items, the above is worth trying.

Please use plain text.
silkenrobe
Community Member

in reply to gallovidian
Gall, I said appear to - there is a difference
Same as you appear to have been joking when you posted your bit about alcohol because the link I gave says that at the top, you must scroll down for perfumes

I guess I read it wrong again :smileysad: Apologies
Please use plain text.
gallovidian
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to silkenrobe

This isn't an eBay or Paypal matter, as eBay's and Paypal's role has ended. It may become a matter of disputing the confiscation with the Royal Mail, who are responsible not merely to their own policies, but to someone else's law. They deal in technicalities, and very often technical distinctions which they are not eager to see pushed to a firm decision.

They probably have people who earn a good year-round living forming working parties on regulations which have let an item fall into two categories simultaneously.

Please use plain text.
borrowedchords_99
Community Member

in reply to steveain

If your recipient doesn't receive the item, claim loss compensation on the royal mail website, you can do it online, but you will have to scan and sign a form that you'll have to send. It's faster than the exercise they required before.

If lost, your item will be paid back to you up to £ 32 or so, unless you insured if the value is higher. I am not sure if perfumes fall in the 'prohibited' category. If I am not mistaken, you cannot send stuff made of glass. If the perfume is in a metal container, it should be ok. That's all I can tell you. Good luck

Please use plain text.
thimbleshackuk
Community Member

in reply to borrowedchords_99

borrowedchords_99 wrote:

If your recipient doesn't receive the item, claim loss compensation on the royal mail website, you can do it online, but you will have to scan and sign a form that you'll have to send. It's faster than the exercise they required before.

If lost, your item will be paid back to you up to £ 32 or so, unless you insured if the value is higher. I am not sure if perfumes fall in the 'prohibited' category. If I am not mistaken, you cannot send stuff made of glass. If the perfume is in a metal container, it should be ok. That's all I can tell you. Good luck

This is incorrect.  Max compensation for standard 1st and 2nd Class mail, with Proof of Posting, is £20.  If sent by Signed For (the service which used to be called Recorded Delivery), max compensation is £50.

Please use plain text.
borrowedchords_99
Community Member

in reply to thimbleshackuk

Last time I checked was £ 32, so they changed it. Good to know.

Please use plain text.
towelposter
Community Member

in reply to borrowedchords_99

Not been £32 for a long while.  In this case though the items were sent by SD.

100% pure Egyptian Cotton
Please use plain text.
dropdolly
Community Member

in reply to towelposter

I have my doubts that there would be any compensation for sending prohibited goods? Whenever I post items I am asked if I have seen this sign ( postperson holds up a sign with the prohibited items pictured) I really dont think they will pay for this.

......so many Needful Things!...........
Please use plain text.