Trading Standards Notification Letter

I have been advised to notify with a letter saying I am taking my purchase case to Trading Standards under the Sale of Goods Act if my case does not get resolved within the statutory 14 days. Where would I send this letter? Will it be to Ebay or to the seller?

Message 1 of 7
See Most Recent
6 REPLIES 6

plpmr
Experienced Mentor

It would be best to ask whoever has/is advising you as they should have all the required information, which we don't have to properly advise.

Message 2 of 7
See Most Recent

Well they said to send it to Ebay. So I'll be back.

Message 3 of 7
See Most Recent

You'll need to notify eBay about this, and they don't come to this member to member board to read any messages.

To Contact Customer Services it's a Live Chat, or you can select to speak and request a Call Back. Click on this link:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/eua?id=5275&mkevt=1&mkpid

On the left sidebar you can see Have us Call you or Chat with Our Automated Assistant.

On weekdays lines open between 8 a.m. and 10 .m.

On weekends they open between 9 a.m. and 6 p.m.

@vince_677 

Message 4 of 7
See Most Recent

papso22
Experienced Mentor

It sounds as if you are inside eBay's 30 day money back guarantee period,  in which case why is that not working for you?

You could also open a case with your funding source.

There is absolutely no point threatening eBay with Trading Standards,  they didn't sell you anything,  so if you need that letter it has to go to the seller, and they need to be a business. 

More information would be helpful.

Message 5 of 7
See Most Recent

Personally, I would seek advice from somebody who knows what they are talking about.

The Sale of Goods Act (1979) was almost entirely superseded by the Consumer Rights Act (2015) and now only applies to goods purchased before 30th September 2015.

"There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”
Søren Kierkegaard, Danish philosopher (1813 - 1855)
Message 6 of 7
See Most Recent

You would need to send it to the seller, and the seller would need to be a business seller (as Trading Standards do not deal with private sellers).

If the seller is registered as a business their details will be at the bottom of the listing

If they are registered as a private seller you won't be able to get their details

Why haven't you used the Money Back Guarantee to get your money back? It's an easy system to use and your refund is guaranteed. 

Why are you struggling to get a refund when eBay have a system to get a refund that works perfectly if used correctly?

Message 7 of 7
See Most Recent
Got buying related questions? Start here: