Seller using different courier after purchase went through

Hello,

I bought an item with £12 DPD next day shipping but when I received the dispatch notification, they provided a royal mail tracking number instead. I assume this means they are using a different courier instead without my consent. I would like to know if this violates the eBay selling policy as I am disappointed that I paid £12 for DPD next day, not royal mail.

Thanks,

Message 1 of 22
See Most Recent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Once the item arrives  proceed this way:

Sending via a different postal service than that offered on the listing,  you have received an item not as described,  so you are guaranteed a full refund under eBay's 30 day MBG,  Money Back Guarantee policy,  if you claim within 30 days of the item's last estimated date for delivery.

You then go right of the item in your Purchase History,  and from More Actions select Return this item,  selecting the reason...  Item Not as Described.

The seller has 3 days to accept the case,  if they don't ,  you need to  escalate on day 4,  or within 30 days,  and eBay will step in and force the refund.

If the seller wants the item back first,  they need to pay for a fully tracked return postage.  On receipt of their item they have 48 hours to refund you.  Again,  if they don't,  you escalate the case.

Do not close the case early for any excuse or promise the seller may give,  and do not forget to escalate.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 22
See Most Recent
21 REPLIES 21

You can open a case for item not as described if the item is sent by a slower postal service than was offered on the listing and arrives later as a consequence. 

Seller may have used next day delivery via RM though eg Special Delivery 

If not, you can open a case, and send it back with a pre-paid return label for a refund, and then buy another one from another seller

But that will delay you obtaining your urgent item...

Message 2 of 22
See Most Recent

Thank you for your reply. I will hold on opening a case until the item arrives.

Message 3 of 22
See Most Recent

Update: Not only did the item not arrive today but the seller used a cheaper royal mail 48 hours delivery instead. I will now open a case for this issue.

Message 4 of 22
See Most Recent

plum993
Experienced Mentor

This happens and is frustrating, and after raising this with ebay (myself last year) they did say report a change of delivery method as not as described as @myriad*seller  has said.

Annoying when you choose a seller specifically who offers RM,and then they send by unreliable evri,😩

"The secret of getting ahead is making a start"
Message 5 of 22
See Most Recent

how do I open a case of a seller specifically who offers RM,and then they send by unreliable evri?

Message 6 of 22
See Most Recent

Once the item arrives  proceed this way:

Sending via a different postal service than that offered on the listing,  you have received an item not as described,  so you are guaranteed a full refund under eBay's 30 day MBG,  Money Back Guarantee policy,  if you claim within 30 days of the item's last estimated date for delivery.

You then go right of the item in your Purchase History,  and from More Actions select Return this item,  selecting the reason...  Item Not as Described.

The seller has 3 days to accept the case,  if they don't ,  you need to  escalate on day 4,  or within 30 days,  and eBay will step in and force the refund.

If the seller wants the item back first,  they need to pay for a fully tracked return postage.  On receipt of their item they have 48 hours to refund you.  Again,  if they don't,  you escalate the case.

Do not close the case early for any excuse or promise the seller may give,  and do not forget to escalate.

Message 7 of 22
See Most Recent

I've been encountering a growing number of sellers running this particular scam.
Most of the ones I've encountered have listed the courier as 'Royal Mail' and then sent it with Evri instead. Obviously they are doing this because Evri has such a terrible reputation, which, to be honest is usually why I check postal options in the first place. Any seller listing Evri or "other courier" (which basically means the same thing) is a no go.
I find the easiest thing to do is to email Evri (using the CEO address) and request that the parcel is rerouted back to the seller, then get a refund. That way you never have to handle the package, there can be no allegations about damage and everything is much easier.

Message 8 of 22
See Most Recent

OR you could do the simple thing and send the seller a message and ask them for an explanation and request that they refund the difference.

If they used Royal Mail Special Delivery then you can expect £3-£4 refund.

A seller cant help you if they're unaware of any problems, that should always be your first stop IMO.

Message 9 of 22
See Most Recent

Its funny you mention this because I had a conversation with my customer just yesterday or the day before about this - I'm not so sure its a scam, and more a glitch.

All my listings are set to ship with Royal Mail but I received an order the other day that claimed the buyer selected Evri as their preferred courier but I dont know how thats even possible as I havent set Evri up on my listings - I hate Evri.

I'm a personal seller so I just drop my parcels off at the Post Office when I'm on my way to work in the morning which is really close to my work whereas there isnt an Evri drop off point near me so thats another reason why I dont use Evri.

I explained this to my customer and he said he didn't select a preferred courier so I think theres some sort of glitch there and its not the first time this has happened.

I buy my labels directly from the Royal Mail website but last time I checked eBay shipping labels, I could swear it offers Evri first so it might be a default setting or something.

As for the OP paying for DPD which is a premium service, thats a different issue and I hope they get their money back but I think they should have contacted the seller first and foremost.

Message 10 of 22
See Most Recent

Your stockings sold on the 24th have Evri listed as the only postage choice as do your current listings.

Message 11 of 22
See Most Recent

I always use 'other courier', that way I can use whichever service is most convenient for me at the time.

Message 12 of 22
See Most Recent

Whats a "personal seller" ? new one on me

Message 13 of 22
See Most Recent

Well there you go, its a glitch or some sort of eBay default becasue all of my listings are at MY end are Royal Mail on all my current listings and whenever I go to make a new listing.

I purposely make sure of this becasue I only have access to dropping off at Royal Mail and I hate Evri as I said.

I always offer FREE UK Delivery so the customer isnt being charged anyway but if they're expecting Evri and prefere Evri but get Royal Mail then this could be a problem.

I've looked through my listings again while writing this and they're definately showing as RM at my end.

I cant see what you see as it doesnt mention the courier on the active listing and I cant add it to my basket as I cant buy my own stuff.

So yeah, to the OP - I still think the seller owes you money becasue you were charged and it was a premium service but it could be a mistake that the seller is unaware of so I would definately send them a message first before contacting eBay.

I have an actual business that I sell on other websites and its always odd whether its myself or another business when I see complaints where the seller is completely unaware and personally if it was me, contatcing the seller first just makes perfect sense.

If you're not happy with the service you've received in response (or lack of) from the seller then of course, thats when you should contact eBay.

Message 14 of 22
See Most Recent

I also have an account with Royal Mail so I would genuinely never use Evri, theres absolutley no sign of Evri on any of my listings from my end.

And I just went onto one of my previous sales to purchase a new label through eBay to see what it says and its Royal Mail at the top of the list of options.

The photo I've uploaded is a screenshot of one of my listings, The House of CB Luna Dress - you can see its RM.

You can see its in 'light grey" because those are my default settings.

This is gonna bug me now.

Image 25-04-2024 at 09.58.jpeg

Message 15 of 22
See Most Recent

@pearlsandpetals wrote:

A personal seller is not a business but they must still declare their income above £1000 per year.

Personal (private) sellers who are just selling off their own stuff do not have to declare their income above £1000. That is a Trading Allowance, and as such is only for those buying or making to sell.

Those buying to sell should be registered as a business regardless of how much they make.

Message 16 of 22
See Most Recent

Hmmmmm that wasnt my understanding of it, I will get onto them today or tomorrow when I get a chance to confirm.

Perhaps I'm a little slow but I find everything tax related and .gov realted in general overwhelming - I hate that website.

Message 17 of 22
See Most Recent

Just look at how contradictory this whole thread is 😭

https://community.hmrc.gov.uk/customerforums/sa/da2a25ba-30ab-ee11-a81c-002248004b84

Message 18 of 22
See Most Recent

Ignore the forums, just get it from the horse's mouth!

From  Tax-free allowances on property and trading income - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Trading allowance

The trading allowance is a tax exemption of up to £1,000 a year for individuals with trading income from:

• self-employment
  • casual services, for example, babysitting or gardening (helpsheet 325 has more information about other taxable income)
  • hiring personal equipment, for example, power tools

Money made by private sellers just selling off their own items in not trading income.

Money made by sellers buying to sell on (or making to sell) IS a trading income, but those sellers need to be registered as a business seller, and declaring anything over £1000 gross income to HMRC.

Message 19 of 22
See Most Recent

Try signing out of your account and looking at your stockings listings,I have attached a pic of what I see.

Evri.png

Message 20 of 22
See Most Recent
Got buying related questions? Start here: