Can't verify my age with American Express

I'm trying to buy some cutlery and I got asked to verify my age by entering a credit card. I use an American Express credit card for all my ebay transactions, but I went ahead and reentered my details.

It tells me 'A debit card can't be used to verify your age. Use a credit card to continue.'

Not sure what I can do.

Message 1 of 10
See Most Recent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Someone who couldn't buy cutlery because they don't have a credit card asked eBay CS about it.

They said ask the seller to change the item catagory from cutlery to kichenware to get around the prove you are 18 knife policy.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 10
See Most Recent
9 REPLIES 9

Someone who couldn't buy cutlery because they don't have a credit card asked eBay CS about it.

They said ask the seller to change the item catagory from cutlery to kichenware to get around the prove you are 18 knife policy.

Message 2 of 10
See Most Recent

I'm having the same problem with my Halifax Bank debit card. Very frustrating! 😠

Message 3 of 10
See Most Recent

An ordinary everyday use Debit card will not be accepted ... Must be a Monthly statement Credit card.   Americans tend to call all Bank cards = ''Credit'' cards.

Message 4 of 10
See Most Recent

Debit cards are not accepted for age verification as under 18s can have a debit card.

It has to be a credit card as they are only available to over 18s.

Message 5 of 10
See Most Recent

Maybe things have changed over the years but I always thought American Express was neither a credit or a debit card. It was a Club Card whatever that is or was.

Message 6 of 10
See Most Recent

What should I do now 

Message 7 of 10
See Most Recent

I am trying to buy the dangerous weapons called teaspoons but cannot as I have no credit card.

Message 8 of 10
See Most Recent

I think its because kids can have a debit card but only adults can have a credit card.

Message 9 of 10
See Most Recent

@didyt-0 wrote:

What should I do now 

Use a different card or get someone else with a credit card to buy the item for you

Message 10 of 10
See Most Recent
Got buying related questions? Start here: