Cash on collection - any risk that eBay will take an immediate electronic payment from a buyer?

I wanted to check I've got this straight. (It's been a while since I sold on eBay).

I'm about to list an item of furniture, which naturally has to be collection only, and so equally naturally I only want cash on collection.

I can offer that as an option, but am I right that I can't turn off the option to accept electronic payments via managed payments - I just have to hope any buyer pays attention to the words in the description and doesn't pay electronically?

Also, is it only with offers where buyers can set up an auto-pay - there's no risk that a buyer will end up automatically paying electronically as soon as they win the auction?

Message 1 of 10
See Most Recent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cash on collection - any risk that eBay will take an immediate electronic payment from a buyer?

papso22
Experienced Mentor

You can't stop someone paying through checkout.

At the moment immediate payment is only on offers.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 10
See Most Recent
9 REPLIES 9

papso22
Experienced Mentor

You can't stop someone paying through checkout.

At the moment immediate payment is only on offers.

Message 2 of 10
See Most Recent

*vyolla*
Experienced Mentor

Whilst you can't refuse an electronic payment via eBay checkout, which will go to eBay and then to your bank account, cash on collection is the best payment method for you to accept (no chances of the buyer opening a return or a chargeback). I'd put something in your description like "Cash on collection please, this will give you the opportunity to examine your item and make sure you're happy with it before paying”.

I'd also mention a collection time period i.e.within 7 days if you want it collected and out of the way within a given time period.

Message 3 of 10
See Most Recent

The safest and only secure way to be paid for personal collection items is >

Cash on collection is allowed and recommended using these links as there is little a New/Returning Seller can do to speed up payment by any Card payment method to avoid a 14 days or more eBay Payment hold ... QR codes confirming payment and item receipt are not essential for Buyer collection items.   Buyers signature on order printoff may be useful in event that you need to confirm collection /delivery ... so minimal risk of future disputes. >>

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/selling/getting-paid/getting-paid-items-youve-sold/payments-hold?id=4816...

Collection in person ... Buyer sees >
You can contact your seller to arrange to pay for and collect your item.

0n collection/delivery, Seller needs to return to the sold item and mark as paid and despatched in dropdown menu on right hand side ... See the information in these links to list Cash on Collection items >

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/selling/posting-items/setting-postage-options/local-collection?id=4181%3...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/buying/postage-delivery/changing-delivery-address-method/local-pickup?id...

Message 4 of 10
See Most Recent

I have made it clear in a small handful of my recent listings, "cash on collection only" in the header, and at the top of the description, stating that its cash on collection only, that any paypal payment will be refunded and if need be, the listing will be cancelled. It hasn't stopped sellers making the paypal payment but i just refund it and reiterate what was clearly stated in the listing (in a polite and diplomatic way) and in every case they have been fine with it.

it seems to avoid the "pay online, collect in person or get a  claimed relative or friend to collect in person, then wait a week or so them claim item not recieved" scam.

Message 5 of 10
See Most Recent

"that any paypal payment will be refunded and if need be, the listing will be cancelled"

A sure way to lose your selling privileges.

Ebays site means Ebays rules.

Trying to make up your own rules never works.

Message 6 of 10
See Most Recent

@adey0070 wrote:

it seems to avoid the "pay online, collect in person or get a  claimed relative or friend to collect in person, then wait a week or so them claim item not recieved" scam.

If the buyer gets a friend / relarive to collect the item,  this involves a third party,  and it will invalidate any claim under eBay's 30 day MBG for any refund.

Message 7 of 10
See Most Recent

I've seen this mentioned in a couple of threads now but don't understand it.

If the buyer gets someone else to collect an item then puts in a not as described claim, how does the seller prove it wasn't the actual buyer  who collected it?  And does that really make a difference to ebay, or more specifically to ebay's automated system which generally sides with the buyer?  

Message 8 of 10
See Most Recent

At the end of the day, im not putting my money at risk because of poor ebay rules that do not protect sellers from scammers, and which actually put sellers at risk. I am a CUSTOMER of ebay, and if they don't like it i will go elsewhere. I have noticed that facebook marketplace is much easier and quicker to sell things these days. Its no wonder ebay are now offering zero fees for buyers until april. The penny is finally dropping with them.

Message 9 of 10
See Most Recent

The problem there is that you have to become a Facebook user, when really what should be happening (in what is by far and away the best interests of society) is that Facebook, and every other social media operation, should be shut down.

One day we will excise these societal cancers, and we will look back and wonder why on earth it took us so long.

Message 10 of 10
See Most Recent
Got selling related questions? Start here: