Remove very annoying 2 step verification process

How do I get rid of this supremely annoying thing? It's only been there a morning and I'm already sick of having to fetch my mobile phone to get the code. I am not surgically and unhealthily attached to my phone, it is not with me constantly and except for when it rings or buzzes with a text I never look at it. I don't want to have to find it to put in a random code  to access my ebay account when I've already put in a password which was working perfectly well on it's own. Why can't people leave things alone? Anyway, how do I turn it off or better still remove it? 

Message 1 of 209
See Most Recent
208 REPLIES 208

I recently changed my pc and loads of websites complained i hadnt logged in from that device before.

So had lots of hoops to jump through to buy stuff  again.

I can only guess they look at pc username for verification.

Message 21 of 209
See Most Recent

Anonymous
Not applicable

HUGE THANKS to shoquercus - I would never have worked that out or found it.

Thank you!

Message 22 of 209
See Most Recent

So glad it worked!

Sent from my iPhone
Message 23 of 209
See Most Recent

Looks like ebay have blocked this removal method, Ive tried in 2 different browsers now and clicking the "Use txt" button does nothing, i did get a popup stateing "there seems to be a problem" but now it does nothing...ive been using ebay for 20 years and if i have to suffer this **bleep** every time i signin well, i wont be using it any more....

Message 24 of 209
See Most Recent

i think that is a different part ? is that not email notifications or similar? text or some other option

Get Outlook for Android<>
Message 25 of 209
See Most Recent

Thanks for that.

unfortunately that worked the first time I logged back in but then reset itself and now I'm being asked to verify again.

F*cking ebay.

Message 26 of 209
See Most Recent

Hasn't worked for me

Message 27 of 209
See Most Recent

It worked for me , I'm so happy ,  thank you so much 

Message 28 of 209
See Most Recent

I succesfully disabled this the other day but when I signed on today it had re-enabled itself.

Message 29 of 209
See Most Recent

Whilst the 2-Step Verification may well have been introduced by ebay with the best of intentions, it simply does NOT work for anyone living in an area that suffers from intermittent mobile 'phone communication.

Most of the time, my Vodaphone reads "Emergency Only" and it can take hours for a text to be received - by which time the 15 minutes has expired.

The obvious solution is for ebay to call a landline number.  PayPal can manage that, so why can't ebay?

Message 30 of 209
See Most Recent

Tried that but it didn't work for me.  The DISABLE option was not present, even after carefully following the procedure described.   The only other option offered was the ebay App that my 'phone cannot use.

Thanks for the offer of advice anyway.  It was worth a try.

Maybe ebay has to pay 0.0001p extra to call a landline?

Message 31 of 209
See Most Recent

This appeared to work at first but when I signed in later it had re-enabled itself. Rinse and repeat.

Message 32 of 209
See Most Recent

Doesn't give me an option to turn it off - Grrrrr _ just a choice of to my mobile or via notifications to app - which doesn't help when I'm online via the internet. So frustrating - it's every two minutes !

Message 33 of 209
See Most Recent

Hello Pam,

Yes, I too am stuck with waiting for a text but only when using my desktop
PC. If I log onto ebay using my iPad then 2-Step Verification is not
required. So the additional security demand appears to be device specific
(at the moment!).

It's all very odd.

BB.

<>
Virus-free.
www.avast.com
<>
<#m_3278654156253632544_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>
Message 34 of 209
See Most Recent

That's brilliant. Thank you!

Message 35 of 209
See Most Recent

Well worked out! Thanks 🙂

Message 36 of 209
See Most Recent

I spent ages on eBay services chat trying to resolve this continual (i.e. every time) verification. But I can't see an "edit" option on the 2-step verification page!!

Message 37 of 209
See Most Recent

there is a good you tube video now. its quite easy when you watch it

Get Outlook for Android<>
Message 38 of 209
See Most Recent

I've got it on laptop, iPad and phone ! Can't turn it off any of the devices and it's driving me nuts! I sign in on my iPad using my fingerprint but then I still have to get a text code after I'm in. Arghh! 

Message 39 of 209
See Most Recent

I noticed the YouTube video earlier today when researching this problem, but it seemed quite old and didn't reflect at all what I was getting onscreen! 

As far as I'm aware,  verifications should only be required for payments (made or received) purposes, not for purely logging in.

Message 40 of 209
See Most Recent
Got buying related questions? Start here: