Fed up with UK based sellers shipping from China!

It's getting more and more frustrating having to determine whether items are actually UK based or not.

So many sellers who have a UK based address are shipping from China. It's a painstaking process to go through.

Some are easier than others to identify because they will state delivery dates well into the future, but some will have dates only a week away, which although seems too long is understandable if the seller needs time to locate, package, and post. Yesterday I saw an item with an estimated delivery of 7-10 days. I messaged the buyer asking if he could ship earlier and his reply was shipping normally takes 10-15 days, sometimes you will get it sooner, sometimes later. So obviously being shipped from China.

I passed on the purchase as I need this for the coming weekend. The filter to search for "Items in UK Only" does not really work.

Rant over.

Peter

Message 1 of 55
See Most Recent
54 REPLIES 54

Re: Fed up with UK based sellers shipping from China!

Exactly 👍

Message 41 of 55
See Most Recent

Sifting through all the listings and double checking that the return address is in the uk is the only way, Ebay has a uk only option button but that only applies to stock in the uk, whereas it should only be for uk sellers - they don't  care as long as they make money

Message 42 of 55
See Most Recent

I think you will be waiting a long time for that to happen

Message 43 of 55
See Most Recent

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have now stopped using EBay after getting a shirt showing the size 5XL and it was so small

It would no fit tried to get refund pressed wrong place they have said they will not help

to get a refund ,i will never use them again just cheap Junk from China .

Message 44 of 55
See Most Recent

That’s a very isolated incident to be fair.
It is true that a lot of what we buy is coming from the PRC but that’s the case with anything purchased online.
Just today I received my cheap Chinese noise cancelling headphones via an eBay seller, for the money (£23) they are amazing ! My top of the line Sony WH1000XM4s cost twenty times more ! But they are nothing like 20 times better, not even 2 times better.
Don’t cut of your own nose off to spite your own face.
The original post was a dig at eBay for not regulating these sellers that misinform customers.
Message 45 of 55
See Most Recent

It is time to report EBay to Trading Standards for colluding in the mislabelling of goods as U.K. when from China.  A petition to parliament on it taking action to top Ebay actively working to promote Chinese goods through this mislabelling is also planned.

Message 46 of 55
See Most Recent

eBay supports China and its atrocities to increase its profits

Message 47 of 55
See Most Recent

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes I agree this size chart showed it would fit me as I got no where through EBAY I now will

only go through Amazon uk got some lovely shirts and the size is right .

Message 48 of 55
See Most Recent

Most of the UK sellers would mention that the stocks are readily available in the UK

Message 49 of 55
See Most Recent

I have stopped buying on ebay i have bought 7 items on alexprss and al have had a gaurentee delivery 5i can choose 5 day delivery on items ta have free postage and get a voucer if delivery is late. All items have been delivered on time so ebay needs to work harder for there customers but i am out save myself money as well from ebays drop shippers.

Message 50 of 55
See Most Recent

Top tip.

If any listing has an image of a Union Jack and say UK stock then it's a lie and the item is coming from China.

They only need to have ONE of each item they sell located in the UK to be able to say UK stock, usually at a relatives house.

Only buy from a seller with a UK vat number and searchable address that you can report to both HMRC and Trading Standards.

If it uses a 3 pin plug I buy from our high street, usually John Lewis who give a 2 year guarantee, the bottom line is all you people are complaining about this sh*t because you want to save pennies and minutes, yet you'll also wring your hands when a highstreet name goes bust, start buying in the UK and stop using ebay period.

Even buying from Currys means you help keep people in work and at least some tax is staying in the UK, if it were up to me I would ban ebay and Amazon from the UK entirely.

Almost every electrical item I have bought over the last ten years, mobiles, chargers, kettles, freezers etc has been as cheap or cheaper from UK retailers than amazon or ebay, and in some cases as with John Lewis i'm getting peace of mind with the 2 years guarantee and a phsyical return location.

If your house burns down with a dodgy product from ebay you're stuffed, if it's bought from John Lewis then they are held liable.

You have been warned.

Message 51 of 55
See Most Recent

Registration on ebay that seller based in uk does not ensure the procduct is made in the uk.  It is very difficult to distinguish where products are made. This should be clear.

Message 52 of 55
See Most Recent

@peterindover wrote:

It's getting more and more frustrating having to determine whether items are actually UK based or not.

So many sellers who have a UK based address are shipping from China. It's a painstaking process to go through.

Some are easier than others to identify because they will state delivery dates well into the future, but some will have dates only a week away, which although seems too long is understandable if the seller needs time to locate, package, and post. Yesterday I saw an item with an estimated delivery of 7-10 days. I messaged the buyer asking if he could ship earlier and his reply was shipping normally takes 10-15 days, sometimes you will get it sooner, sometimes later. So obviously being shipped from China.

I passed on the purchase as I need this for the coming weekend. The filter to search for "Items in UK Only" does not really work.

Rant over.

Peter

Fed up with UK based sellers shipping from China!

Always scroll down to the bottom of any listing and check the registration address of the business. That always gives you a clear indication of exactly where an item is being shipped from.

Personally, I have used this method and no longer fall fowl of the shipping from China con even when an item is being shipped from apparently, the UK..........🙄🤔

Truth hurts. Maybe not as much as jumping on a bicycle with a seat missing, but it hurts.

You may think you have pushed ALL my buttons, but you still haven't found the mute!
Message 53 of 55
See Most Recent

Anyone would think we're expecting Ebay to do some rudimentary due dilligence on sellers outside of the UK.
It's a corporate and will only react if stabbed with pointy sticks - i.e. users emargo them (ebay and the like) , then when they eventually recognise the revenue fall they may well start to look arround to fathom out why.
If you're ever notice it may be a far eastern enterprise check out Aliexpress or banggood etc. - you can probably find the prices are way lower from there... caveat emptor! And of course most things are made in china these days anyway and rebranded...
Unless a middle'person' adds good value into the supply chain via good services etc. why not cut them out and save, after all 'buying brittish' does not mean actually made here, often just an additional cost anfd proffit you pay to some rebrander/'entrepreneur' buying cheaper from abroad.

Message 54 of 55
See Most Recent

Got buying related questions? Start here: