RETURNS for fashion/clothing retailers (but other categories please chime in)

This post has been on my mind for a while. I'd love an open discussion.

My returns rate is currently a shocking 13.8%. It has climbed steadily from 9-10% over the last 3 years. Prior to COVID I had been at under 10% for years. This coincides with a drive by me to raise my prices above the £100+ mark and I have also started tagging. I think my price increase makes people more likely to return but I wonder if there are other factors I am missing?

Some thoughts to set the ball rolling:

1. An extremely informative ebay pro-trader rep advised that it was the tagging that was probably the problem (she reckoned it put the idea of returning into peoples head as soon as they saw the item. It also suggested returning to people who might not know this is possible on ebay). However, I have taken returns on items that have definitely been worn and i want to stop this.

2. As an aside, a friend of mine who works in third sector with very economically challenged women has advised me her 'clientele' will regularly buy on ebay to return after wearing. 

3. @bravergrace said on a different thread that he found it insulting to tag his items. I wonder what people think about this? I agree I am uncomfortable tagging. I am also uncomfortable having items returns smelling of perfume.

4. Another seller (sorry I forget who) mentioned that I might do better using bullet points on my listings to make measurements easier to spot. I don't think this is the problem - but happy to hear opinions?

5. I would love to know if 13% is average for clothing sellers (especially pre-loved). Are people prepared to disclose their figures?

6. I have very few SNADS. I wonder if tagging stops SNADS but increases 'doesnt fit' returns.

7. I gift box and include a personal note with all of my sales to try and be nice - but also vaguely 'guilt trip'  buyers and get them to see I am a real person not a huge business. This definitely used to work - in my opinion - I'm not sure it does now. I buy online from charities. Two years ago, when something sold, I never saw it again. Now if something sells and I wanted it... I look out for it again... so I know returns to even charities has risen hugely.

8. An increasing number of people buy more than one item and seem to expect to return some. I think this is a trend. What do other people think?

I'd love a professional and constructive debate.

Message 1 of 70
See Most Recent
69 REPLIES 69

Surely that can be reported, as it is against the Law to charge for all returns, regardless of reason.

Message 61 of 70
See Most Recent

@therenewalworkshopltd wrote:

Have you thought about steering clear of the dresses etc?

Yup - I agree - I hardly sell any dresses.

Message 62 of 70
See Most Recent

@brindsey wrote:

Just as a by the bye - there is a used clothing/accessories  seller, over 2000 items (enforced business registration), who on most listings has:

"Returns accepted minus £5 outgoing costs"

She's been doing it for years, even going so far as, sometimes,  to say eBay approves.  

Then, at the bottom of her listings she has suddenly started putting:

"I certify that all my selling activities will comply with all EU laws and regulations."

??????

I suspect she says it but doesn't actually do it? Says it to put people off returning? Actually - unless she is TRS - is partial discount even available? eBay is very clear when you do use the partial discount facility that if it is  'over-used' they will take it away.

Message 63 of 70
See Most Recent

Maybe you're right on this one.  Just can't see how she can get away with it.

Message 64 of 70
See Most Recent

Very brief update. SInce stopping tagging:

5 weeks in, and my returns are now 14.3 (up from 13.8).

WIth one very definite abuse of the returns process (noted in this thread).

It is a quiet time of year, meaning the volumes don't help the experiment.

I broke and tagged a couple of 'special event' items (I just couldn't stop myself). Neither were returned.

I am itching to start tagging again. I may not last until August...

Message 65 of 70
See Most Recent

Are you able to compare returns percentage by month to previous years?  I have an incling my returns percentage in the quieter months is across platform is higher and my December returns percentage I know is the lowest.  Not quite sure I have data saved in an easy enough format to make this comparisson.

I think of May/ June/ July as the grumpy months - my sales are lower and possibly as a result I get more frustrated by returns.

Message 66 of 70
See Most Recent

Very good point. I don't keep this data (I should - I will start now). I may look and see if ebay does...

Message 67 of 70
See Most Recent

Start tagging again up 0.5% is not good - or you could tag 50/50 and see if the returns come from tagged or untagged or both 

Message 68 of 70
See Most Recent

Do bear in mind that industry averages for returns on clothing, can be really quite high.

I've seen references to up to 50%, depending on the retailer, but I think the averages are around the 25% mark.

I do think that Amazon has a lot to do with the mindset, with it's free no question returns and try on services.

I'm really not sure that tagging is the answer though.

If your getting sales where people are wearing and returning, I really don't think that there is an awful lot that you can realistically do about it.

Maybe it's just to do with selling the higher value items, as buyers are more likely to regret spending so much.

Keep listings accurate and relevant.  Provide a good service.

But just how many of that percentage, are returns that you think people have used and returned?  Just a couple, or the majority?

Message 69 of 70
See Most Recent

@therenewalworkshopltd wrote:

Do bear in mind that industry averages for returns on clothing, can be really quite high.

I've seen references to up to 50%, depending on the retailer, but I think the averages are around the 25% mark.

I do think that Amazon has a lot to do with the mindset, with it's free no question returns and try on services.

I completely agree

I'm really not sure that tagging is the answer though.

If your getting sales where people are wearing and returning, I really don't think that there is an awful lot that you can realistically do about it.

I always do a partial refund - occasionally for the maximum 50%. I do follow ebay guidelines to the letter and do not over use. It usually recovers my costs. When I do this I always send a message to the buyer explaining the process, the reasons behind my partial refund, and let them know they can appeal to customer services. Some do, some dont. EIther way they start (or continue) to have a record with ebay - so I hope it puts them off repeating the process...

Maybe it's just to do with selling the higher value items, as buyers are more likely to regret spending so much.

I agree.

Keep listings accurate and relevant.  Provide a good service.

But just how many of that percentage, are returns that you think people have used and returned?  Just a couple, or the majority?

It's so difficult to know. Which is why I prefer to tag. At least then I know. (My tags are very visible and hard to replicate even with a tagging gun.)

WHat I do know is that when I buy clothing, I will frequently wear an item once or twice - then ask myself if you could have the £60 back or keep the item what would you do? 50-75% of the time I would probably take my money back. The fact is, it is nice to have 'new' clothing but the majority doesn't make the cut and become a favourite. It is hard to know what will become a favourite until you wear it on a few occasions. I think, in the current economic climate, pre-loved clothing is being hit by these 'didnt make the cut' returns. In the past, people knew it was out of order so didnt, but now they think 'times are hard'.

Message 70 of 70
See Most Recent
Got business selling related questions? Start here: