eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Collections
  • Get inspired!
i_am_reborn
Community Member
Why is ebay fees SO HIGH!!! RIP OFF
Big monopolist like ebay is making extreme amount of money from charging lower or middle class people extreme amount of money for listing and final value fees. Because people are desperate to sell, and ebay became a monoplist ( we can't find much more services like this.... they have been killed off by ebay_)It's very unfair to charge us so much! Yes I'm sure you going to say I agree by clicking submit... it still doesn't justify you....
Other Answers: 62
simonr09
Community Member
Answered
in reply to i_am_reborn

Absolute rip off I agree!

I rarely use eBay for selling but did so the other day to sell my son's guitar amp for him.

The amp sold for £500 and when the PayPal transaction went through I was deducted £17.20 in fees which I thought was a bit steep but accepted it.

Then to my horror, I received an email from eBay saying my invoice was £49.97. I thought this must be some mistake but on investigating found that the £17.20 was only PayPals fee (3.4% +20p) and then eBay take another 10%.

Now I know I am the idiot for not having read the fee policy properly before selling through eBay but I guess I just assumed the fees for a site like this would be a fairly low percentage of the total transaction.

Taking over £67 off me on a £500 sale is just ridiculous. I will not sell through eBay again.

sitatt
Community Member
Answered
in reply to i_am_reborn

I am now considering the move to EBID as this is ebays closest competitor for this type of site. Way lower fees and a better experience. They are getting alot more exposure now and in time really hope sites like this stop the monopolising antics of the likes of ebay. Sure it served its purpose, but it's time they had some competition. I am recommending EBID to everyone!!!

traveller2u
Community Member
Answered
in reply to i_am_reborn

Don't mind paying for services, but what great me is, the charge which icludes the cost of sold article and postage, why do they take a commission on postage charges?

Also where's the interest rate for my money lying in paypal accounts.

Slowly but surely there's a drift to other less exspensive sites and there are more free ads popping up - people should vote with there feet, I rarely sell through ebay now and keepas little money in paypa as possible.l

sunray41alpha
Community Member
Answered
in reply to i_am_reborn

i am off to ck=heck ebid as well.  Thanks for the advice

nutter244
Community Member
Answered
in reply to i_am_reborn

For a while now I have been thinking I dont remember ebay final valuation fees being quite so high? I have just listed some tyres at £159.99 each guess what the final valuation fee is a whopping £23.56 PER TYRE!!!!!!!!! then the PAYPAL FEES again their PROFIT £5.84 making ebay & paypal £29.40 per tyre or £117.60 for all four. While I make £98.40 WOW is it really worth all the hassle I go through for Ebay to make more money then the seller. I rang customer services only to be told EBAY IS A BUSINESS, over and over again!!!! May I remind EBAY that bigger companys then you have come and gone YOU ARE ONLY A COMPANY WHILST YOU HAVE CUSTOMERS!!!!!!! NO CUSTOMERS NO COMPANY.

Not sure what the EBID is but I am off to check it out, I remember the days ebay was a cost efficent way of selling good and unwanted item.

spencestud7
Community Member
Answered
in reply to i_am_reborn

Just cost me over £60 to sell an Ipad !!! That is unbelievable and i shall be promptly checking out EBID. Paypal are the same company as ebay and they take out yet another little chunk those mother F.........

bigbri666
Community Member
Answered
in reply to i_am_reborn

it about 15% now its ludicrous it hard to make any money now, you end up having to charge more than high street shops to make anything, they are just a greedy monopoly X-(

6limey9
Community Member
Answered
in reply to i_am_reborn

Im going to check out EBID also.

I was shocked to find that my insertion was not free after all and presented with a bill for final value fees of 10% which are way to high and on top of the fees I have paid to paypal.

I hope that the public becomes aware of there extortionate fees and moves en mass to another company  .

personally I would now like to see the downfall of ebay.

I am going to look for a viable alternative.

Rip off.....

innet_uk
Community Member
Answered
in reply to i_am_reborn

Ebay is a total rip off if you are a seller. Today I was charged £44 for selling about £350 worth of my kids toys (£300).

How can I ask them for that money they don't understand 10% commission fees.

I am now looking for alternates, if ebay have not killed the competition by buying them and then closing them down.

Down with the big companies. They are no good to anyone except the companies themselves.

krieid
Community Member
Answered
in reply to i_am_reborn

Ebay fees combined with Paypal fees are now to high, what is the point of selling an item here when I get more in my pocket from Gumtree? This is ridiculous!

sitatt
Community Member
Answered
in reply to i_am_reborn

I highly recommend EBID as the new, much more seller friendly way to sell!! I will only use ebay to buy! Now its EBID EBID EBID all the way for me! ebay is a massive rip off!

mapman154
Community Member
Answered
in reply to i_am_reborn

Like most people, I clicked the "I agree" box - didn't see anything there about being charged 32% of my sale price in fees! Yep that's right I sold a bike for £104 and I was charged in total £32 in costs. Never again will I be ripped off by ebay.

Why are the charges so high? Easy they tempt you in with a 'no cost' insertion deal - which doesn't apply to your listing and they whack on a final charge after the sale. Sharp practice is why the charges are so high!

jippooo
Community Member
Answered
in reply to i_am_reborn

I agree. The Ebay fees are way too high right now. I even have to stop selling soon as it is not worth it this way. Too bad.

milkshake400
Community Member
Answered
in reply to i_am_reborn

We have come to the conclusion that Ebay is only good for purchasing and if you are the unfortunate seller then you lose out.  We recently sold a laptop for £200 and the fees amount to around £30.  This is an outrageous commission of 15%.  We have now started to use Gumtree and would like to advertise the fact that you end up with ALL the money in your pocket.  Sorry Ebay - we are all wising up to your greedy commissions.

carolyns_cosmetics
Community Member
Answered
in reply to i_am_reborn
no EBay staff here... think you just answered your own question: "i agree by clicking submit".........
tinauk123-2013
Community Member
Answered
in reply to i_am_reborn

absolute rip off agree totally. I sold items in end made no money as, they won't let me up the postage to cover weight of item then at the end. I had no idea they added on  10% fees of selling. I went what contacted them via chat and got a whole load of clap trap as to why their fees, I in end said cut to it why you're charging they had no reason for it and just basically gave me a list of inadequate answers which were pre typed. This didn't even make sense. Well I just paid £8.00 fees now they want another 4.00 not invoiced for. I put items for 0.99p but they are charging crazy fees still. Yet they said it's free to list...hmm

it's all a load of rubbish and also the issues of posting the items and buying the packaging is at sellers cost because buyers complain if you charge more. You end up giving rare items away because the fees are insane!

I am not selling anymore here. I need to find somewhere else because I am breaking my back sending these items and half the buyers don't even pay you. so it's fees stress waiting and then the buyers try to make u send the items out to them before the money clears because they aren't patient. Ebay really sux it's a problem becaus ehave to use it to sell items so far made absolutely nothing via ebay other than a load of stress. 

I am so stressed I need anti depressants because the stress this has caused me is awful. I amnow panicking what fees ensue when other items sell. I feel awfulas they go oh it's on £4.00 oh it's only £8/00

yeh thats £12.00 fees and I only listed things for 99p Gha too expensive and the customer help is rude and avoids hting splus if youd on't pay fees immediately they kepe bombarding you with emails even if you respond to it to say you will pay the next day it's awful sod esperate for our money and don't care about the consumers or sellers it's awful. they protect the buyers more than the sellers.

hating ebay can't wait for all my items to end sales. Im ending them earl cos sick of the stress. justf eel il.

psjrhobby
Community Member
Answered
[ Edited ]
in reply to i_am_reborn

I have just looked at , The fees are: 0% list fee and 3% value fee, you can use paypal or just use card details 0% to PayPal, There are not as many people on there but we can change that, VOTE WITH YOUR FEET, I have. I have registered and when my auctions finish on ebay any unsold items will be transfered to . If you need any more reasons to leave, eBay are going to be charging their final selling fee based on the sale price AND the postage cost from the 4th of September. Make eBay PAY for being greedy LEAVE.

fashionvintageshop
Community Member
Answered
[ Edited ]
in reply to i_am_reborn

i have sold some items on ebay, that i pre-weighted at the post office, i charged the buyer accordingly. NOw they charged me the 10% on PP, 11% on final value fee and now all the the moeny i could get, they have it. i am basically working my off for ebay.  they took everything. 

swy.2010
Community Member
Answered
in reply to i_am_reborn

Close on 15%  with E/bay and Paypal fees.  TOO HIGH !!!!  Ebay,  show some mercy.   On top of that, how they justify charging a final selling fee on postage is beyond me.  Most people charge accordingly for postage so they make NOTHING from postage BUT Ebay now do !!!.  Something they have wanted to do for ages and finally had the cheek to finally do it !

With many items,  you will find that Ebay / paypal are making more money than your PROFIT from the actual sale of item.

For the first time i am considering to stop using e/bay for selling, 

toper40
Community Member
Answered
in reply to i_am_reborn

I absolutely  love ebay  but its getting to a stage where its too expensive to sell on it  i buy monitors for 80 pounds and sell them for  120 and because of the final fees and paypal i only make 22  pounds  and ebay get 18 pounds its getting harderd to make any thing on ebay i don't understand why they do it seems a shame 

junkstreet1
Community Member
Answered
in reply to i_am_reborn

i have been complaing about ebay and p/pal fees for years now and i tried to start a "group"  called "FRANNKENSTEIN EBAY" (TAKE A LOOK AT  IT) BECAUSE NOT MANY OTHER PEOPLE BOTHERED.  i see now that ebay are charging a fee of 10% on p+p charges which is totally out of order as p/pal also charge a fee on p+p costs  as they are added into any money received for payement for the goods sold.   PREPOSTEROUS dosn`t come close to describing some of the charges  that ebay and p/pal extort from people.   junkstreet1

u lead me down the garden path!!!!!!!!?
ramandha
Community Member
Answered
in reply to i_am_reborn

Well thats right ebay very high to take fee, but they will cover your money for refund from bad seller who never send item to you...I bought something but never arrived and ebay resolution centre is very quick to refund back my money from bad seller. Anyway I really happy if ebay decrease the very high fee to be reasonable fee

bearlette2007
Community Member
Answered
in reply to i_am_reborn

In reply to i-am-born

I too am seriously considering looking at E bid.  What everyone should do is e mail all past customers, easy enough to do, once you have found their e mail addresses, again easy to do, most pay through paypal and let them know where you are going.  This may help spread the word.

keiththeman0
Community Member
Answered
in reply to i_am_reborn

I find the fees for selling an item on ebay are very high. I currently have an item for sale and the fees are close to 10%. Because my item is a high value item that means a fee of £75 plus listing costs.  My item has been placed for sale with this in mind, so it is the buyer who is losing out, because like me most sellers adjust their prices to take fees into account. I would happily sell my item for 10% less outside of ebay.  There are other ways of selling on the Internet without incuring any fees if you belong to social network groups for instance, and are in fact are much safer, as arranging a direct bank transfer cost absolutely nothing and is quicker than waiting for money to be sent via PayPal.  OK, you won't get the same kind of exposure that you get with ebay, but if you sell, that's all that matters.

topcat83
Community Member
Answered
in reply to i_am_reborn
this is a question and answer board your question should be on the discussion board unless you actually have a question you need help with its always your choice to use or not use
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

378ruth
Community Member
Answered
in reply to i_am_reborn

opening a non payment dispute takes about 2 clicks dead easy

hushaway
Community Member
Answered
in reply to i_am_reborn

SELLERS WAKE UP TO THE FACT THAT EBAY IS NOW ONLY BUYER FRIENDLY.  THE SELLER PAYS ALL THE FEES TO KEEP EBAY IN BUSINESS AND WHEN SOMETHING GOES WRONG WITH A SALE THEY ARE ON THE SIDE OF THE BUYER. 

IT IS TIME FOR ANOTHER SELLING SITE TO CHALLENGE THIS DRAGON.

I WILL BUY ON EBAY BUT SELLING ON THIS SITE IS FOR DUMMIES THEY ARE NOW EVEN TAKING 10% COMMISSION ON YOU POSTAGE. I THINK THIS IS EVIL PROFITEERING. YOU PAY 14%+ IN FEES TO EBAY AND PAYPAL

LETS VOTE NO TO SELLING ON EBAY

burren1979
Community Member
Answered
in reply to i_am_reborn

I totally agree.

It is immoral to charge a listing fee and a final value fee. Logically the listing fee is for using e-bay to sell the item. What additional services has e-bay provided to justify receiving part of the final selling fee? In addition ebay owns paypal which takes a further slice of the same transaction fees.  In any other high street business this would attract the opprobrium of the buying public and the attention of the competition authorities as it is an unmitigated monopoly.  Ebay also own Gumtree!! Unfortunately until there is a cheaper competitor (and lets face it there are too many barriers to entry) Ebay rule! 

jimindevon
Community Member
Answered
[ Edited ]
in reply to i_am_reborn

Just seen on my invoice Ebay charge 10% on postage, as well as the listing fee, the sell fee and Paypal fee.

I am going to get this featured on BBC Watchdog..so everone knows.

**bleep** is good ..used it in the early days..now everyone will go there. You just pay a monthly fee to list as much as you like.

rik8667
Community Member
Answered
in reply to i_am_reborn

ok lets all go to EBID.COM