Setting default search settings

Does anyone know how to set the default search location? Every time I search for something, I have pull up the filters and change to "U.K.". I don't search for the same items every time, so can't set a saved search. Thanks! Tracy

Message 1 of 40
See Most Recent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Setting default search settings

From the search results in the eBay app, tap the Filter menu in the upper right. Scroll down until you see the "Customize" option, and choose that. Lockable filters should be the third choice -- tap the toggle to enable and the switch should turn blue to indicate the option is active.

Go back to the Filter menu and select an option such as "Item location". Select "UK only" (or whichever option you prefer). You should see a padlock icon appear next to the chosen option; tap the padlock to lock the option. The padlock should turn blue (and the shackle should close) to indicate it is locked.

Now all further searches should default to your chosen option until you override that by selecting a different item location, or tap the padlock to unlock that setting.

Try a new search to verify that the results shown have your chosen attribute applied by default.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 40
See Most Recent
39 REPLIES 39

you can't set UK only as the default

sellers all over the world pay to have their items shown on ebay.co.uk and ebay would be in breach of contract if they allowed UK only as the default

Message 2 of 40
See Most Recent

Ah, that's really annoying! Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

Message 3 of 40
See Most Recent

If you use the eBay app, it is possible to enable "lockable filters" and then set some default filter options, including item location.

But if you are using a browser, eBay does not offer that option.

If you use a desktop browser, there is a third party add-on called "eBay item location -- my country only" that overrides eBay's default item location.

Message 4 of 40
See Most Recent

Thank you. I am using the app - please could you explain how to enable lockable filters? 

Message 5 of 40
See Most Recent

Another way around it, is to create your search, set all the variables you want to use, including UK Only or whatever, then bookmark that search in your browser.

Only works on the desktop of course, but I use that via Chrome, on my tablet, so still works for me, and is WAY preferrable to the app.

Over promise, then under deliver = negative buyer experience, INR cases, unhappy buyers and sellers.
Under promise, then over deliver = Positive buyer experience, joy and happiness all round. 
If only eBay could get their heads round this basic concept, this would be a happier place for all.
Message 6 of 40
See Most Recent

Thank you...I don't search for the same items each time, so it may not be relevant for me to save a search, but thank you for getting back to me.

Message 7 of 40
See Most Recent

Even so, once you have your "standard" search options stored, simply open that search, then over type the entry in the search box, and your new search will keep the "defaults" you've saved.

Over promise, then under deliver = negative buyer experience, INR cases, unhappy buyers and sellers.
Under promise, then over deliver = Positive buyer experience, joy and happiness all round. 
If only eBay could get their heads round this basic concept, this would be a happier place for all.
Message 8 of 40
See Most Recent

From the search results in the eBay app, tap the Filter menu in the upper right. Scroll down until you see the "Customize" option, and choose that. Lockable filters should be the third choice -- tap the toggle to enable and the switch should turn blue to indicate the option is active.

Go back to the Filter menu and select an option such as "Item location". Select "UK only" (or whichever option you prefer). You should see a padlock icon appear next to the chosen option; tap the padlock to lock the option. The padlock should turn blue (and the shackle should close) to indicate it is locked.

Now all further searches should default to your chosen option until you override that by selecting a different item location, or tap the padlock to unlock that setting.

Try a new search to verify that the results shown have your chosen attribute applied by default.

Message 9 of 40
See Most Recent

Thank you, I'll see if that works for me.

Message 10 of 40
See Most Recent

This is does exactly what I need, thank you so, so much!

Message 11 of 40
See Most Recent

You are most welcome!

Message 12 of 40
See Most Recent

Thanks mate, very helpful 👊🏻

Message 13 of 40
See Most Recent

You are very welcome.

Message 14 of 40
See Most Recent

OMG this is amazing, I've been looking for this option for YEARS!!! Gave up setting my default search to UK a long time ago, so fed up with so many overseas results today, did another search and found this. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!

Message 15 of 40
See Most Recent

You are most welcome -- glad to hear that helped.

I believe the lockable filter option was only added to the eBay app in 2020 or so, so if you could not find it before that it was because the option was not available yet.

Message 16 of 40
See Most Recent

This does not work, overtyoing resets search options... just tried it!

Message 17 of 40
See Most Recent

Hi Bewseyhall,

If you use the firefox browser, you can add the Redirector addon. The following rule will add the "&LH_PrefLoc=1" to the end of any ebay search url that fits the pattern "https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/" . Item pages use the url "https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/", so are unaffected by the rule.

I have attached an image of my rule for you to follow.

It currently works for me and I added an advanced exclude to exclude "&LH_PrefLoc=" in case I specifically want to search in another location, but this did not seem to exclude the rule change when I have already chosen another location, but this seems unimportant as it will select another location, like "worldwide", if chosen and the url ends in "&LH_PrefLoc=2&LH_PrefLoc=1" (i.e. worldwide and UK) as it seems to use the first location only.

Message 18 of 40
See Most Recent

Buzzbee2002,

Thanks for saving my sanity! Looks like Redirect have changed the editing window and it reads different to your example, I figured it out though so have uploaded the new version. Now looking forward to figuring out how to redirect those hideous /p/ listings!

As for paid links for advertising, I can still see all the eBay international listings below the UK search so nobody is losing out. I don't know what eBay's logic is here, the search function has been getting worse for years, you used to be able to really drill down for specific terms but they took all that away and it's pot luck what you end up with (to say nothing for categories that may or may not exist depending what time of day it is!)

Message 19 of 40
See Most Recent

I've been trying to sort this for five years. A sincere thank you.

Message 20 of 40
See Most Recent
Got technical related questions? Start here: