selling by auction

if i receive an auction bid at the lowest price offered do i HAVE to sell?

Message 1 of 5
See Most Recent
4 REPLIES 4

selling by auction

Yes you do which is why you should set your starting price at a price you would be happy to receive 

Message 2 of 5
See Most Recent

selling by auction

If thats the price the auction finishes at, then yes, your obliged to sell at that price. The best thing to do, is either start the bidding at the lowest price your willing to accept, or list it at a price your happy with on buy it now. You can start an auction at 99p and set a reserve, but this can be expensive, because your charged 4% of the reserve set, whether it sells or not and the minimum reserve is £50. 

Message 3 of 5
See Most Recent

selling by auction

@alfiew2014 wrote:

if i receive an auction bid at the lowest price offered do i HAVE to sell?

No you don't. No one can make you if you don't want to.

But eBay doesn't like sellers that do that so they give you a "black mark". Too many of those and you will no longer be a seller on eBay.

Message 4 of 5
See Most Recent

selling by auction

rjwilmsi
Conversationalist

If the auction ends with a valid bid then legally it's a valid contract. If you cancel the sale then in theory you are in breach of contract and could be taken to court - realistically that is very unlikely, but it could happen. If you cancel the sale you get an account defect with eBay, do it too often and eBay will suspend your account.

If using auctions set the minimum bid to the lowest you would be willing to sell the item for. If the lowest value is the same amount that similar items sell for as Buy It Now, ask yourself whether you really want to auction it off. Auctions of normal items generally sell for less than other Buy It Now items - why would anybody pay more for yours if same is available BIN for less. To me auctions only make sense for rare items where price is hard to assess (rare artwork etc.). If you have an item you want to get rid of, you may be better doing a "reverse auction": list it as Buy It Now then gradually reduce the price until it sells e.g. drop price every few days.

Message 5 of 5
See Most Recent
Got selling related questions? Start here: