Shall I cancel this buyer bid due to my suspicions?

So I have a rather expensive warhammer item for auction sale. 8 watchers ends sunday. I received two bid from someone with no reviews, profile set up in march. The fact I got 2 bids from the individual suggests to me someone with experience on the site. I immediately became suspicious. Almost immediately they messaged me requiring information on the items description. Not the product for sale but generic descriptions that could easily be found online. Also the buyer claims to be buying the item for their boyfriend. I replied courteously. They are now asking to buy the item now because they need to go away and are not sure if they will be around to accept delivery if not. I mailed them declining and asking if they are a genuine buyer. Yet to have a reply. Shall I just cancel their bid and if I do will that impact my reputation. Or shall I just wait to do it nearer sunday in the hope someone else bids. Or shall I mail them asking them if they want to cancel. I'm 99% certain the buyer is a scammer.

Message 1 of 9
See Most Recent
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nope,  cancelling a buyer's bid doesn't harm your seller performance,  remember to block them too,  from perhaps returning later.

Block the buyer here:

https://offer.ebay.co.uk/ws/ebayISAPI.dll?BuyerBlockPreferences

@objects-of-intrigue 

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 9
See Most Recent
8 REPLIES 8

They may not be  a scammer,  but the red flag for me if I was selling an expensive item, is the fact they may not be around to accept delivery. Asking to buy now won't work if the item has bids,  even if they are the ones who have placed the bids.

Not being home when an expensive item is due , leaves no guarantee where the courier / postie will leave the item, we hear here daily of items stolen when left in all those ' safe' places.

On that score alone,   I would cancel their bid and block them,  too many questions being asked, also can be a clue to post sale problems.

@objects-of-intrigue 

Message 2 of 9
See Most Recent

Thanks for the response. The fact they might claim they never received the item was my feeling too.

Shall I use the 'another reason' tab and detail why I am cancelling or cancel under the 'buyer requested to cancel' tab. I am assuming the former. Will cancelling affect my ebay reputation? That's what mostly concerns me as I have never cancelled a bid before.

Message 3 of 9
See Most Recent

I'd also find a few red flags there.

Just select 'another reason' and then block them (use the link at the bottom of this eBay guidance page to do that:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/selling/listings/selling-auctions/cancelling-bid?id=4140&st=3&pos=1&quer...

Message 4 of 9
See Most Recent

Nope,  cancelling a buyer's bid doesn't harm your seller performance,  remember to block them too,  from perhaps returning later.

Block the buyer here:

https://offer.ebay.co.uk/ws/ebayISAPI.dll?BuyerBlockPreferences

@objects-of-intrigue 

Message 5 of 9
See Most Recent

Thanks all. I've followed your advice. 

Message 6 of 9
See Most Recent

To add to the advice already given.

@objects-of-intrigue wrote:

The fact they might claim they never received the item was my feeling too.

You need to send your expensive items by Tracked postage & with the correct insurance cover.

Message 7 of 9
See Most Recent

Yes I already do that. Sound advice. Anything over £35 I tend to do that even if it's above the postage cost I request for each sale.

Message 8 of 9
See Most Recent

Buyers cannot see the option of Tracked postage on your adverts, so you may get cases opened for 'not delivered'.

Your time will be taken up answering/proving you sent it Tracked.

Message 9 of 9
See Most Recent
Got selling related questions? Start here: