Ebay refuse to remove negative feedback so I'm quitting after 20 years as a seller.

I've been using Ebay coming up on 20 years/ 2 decades  and I received my 1st negative feedback. 

Buyer of an item claimed the item was damaged which it wasn't, they even sent me pics of the item showing no damage. 

Buyer claimed I wasted time when I actually refunded full amount and paid postage same day ! Buyer claimed  waste of money which was untrue as I made a full refund ! 

Ebay refuse to remove the feedback, I reported Buyer I and used request negative feedback form, I tried to appeal Ebay said I cant appeal. 

20 years 100% feedback and I've sold around 1200 items.. 

I'm planning on closing my account now as a matter of principle, Customer services have sickened me. 

Dreadful experience. 

I have  a heart condition and this has stressed me right out... I've had several call backs  ffom customer service discussing this, no joy, had enough now. 

Message 1 of 25
See Most Recent
24 REPLIES 24

Ebay refuse to remove negative feedback so I'm quitting after 20 years as a seller.

Feedback doesn't really matter any more (unless your getting negatives daily obviously).  Hence no other platform uses a feedback model at the forefront of the listings, in favour of item reviews - which actually matter.  Feedback score bares two sides though, algorithm and customer.

In the early days of eBay, feedback was important as it allowed you to see if you were actually going to get your item or not.  Now with the money back guarentee, and e-commerce in general being a lot more trustworthy, feedback has taken a back seat.  If the item doesn't arrive, one can claim thier money back worry free.

As someone mentioned above, there is only one loser if you are to close your account over this.

Message 21 of 25
See Most Recent

Hi mate,

You don't need to worry about one negative feedback, you been doing super great if yuo get only 1/1200 items sold negative feedback.

a lot of people leave negative feedback if they not in the mood and etc

Message 22 of 25
See Most Recent

I have a competitor selling same thing.

He is on 90% and I am on 100% positive feedback.

He sells more than I do !!!

Message 23 of 25
See Most Recent

Feed back scores are more or less meaningless these days.  You are guranteed negative feedback by people who feel entitled to score one over on you in order to make up for their pathetic low status in life.  With eBay they know there will be no come back.  I now post replies sticking two fingers up at the negatives.  Any buyer checking up on me gets to see that the negative was actually unfounded and gets the real picture.  Also, the calculation is wrong.  I counted up the actual number of true single negatives and found it to be a lot less than the calculation implied, it seems ALL negatives are carried over to the calculation not just the last 12 months.  I noticed how my score just seemed to keep dropping and many other listers also seemed to be getting worse and worse across the board.  I used to pay attention to less than 99.9% as a buyer but now I know there is something wrong with the calculation and the fact eBay has given free reign to abuse the system I tend to read the seller negs first and it often turns out 1 particualr item resulted in a run of negs or the usual bunch of fraudsters, online shoplifters, are at work.

Message 24 of 25
See Most Recent

We fully sympathise and I think many on here are missing the point. Ebays Feedback system is the most self defeating system on the Internet.

Narcisissist and Trolls are free to taint your business and get free stuff to boot courtesy of Ebay themselves. Any potential new/inexperienced buyers see page after page of poor feedback/business practice comments and simply buy off Amazon/FB marketplace/anywhere else instead; where the lack of feedback gives the appearance of good solid business practice.

No amount of courtesy/grovelling/ ingratiating yourself to a narcissist is going to stop them ultimately trolling you with feedback to feed their fragile egos or need to take complete control of your feelings/mindset. So basic 'try harder' comments aren't helpful when you're already doing the max'.

Ebay will always be a small multinational as long as it ignores its food source- Sellers not buyers. (Unless they continue to buy up competitors unchallenged of course).

Message 25 of 25
See Most Recent
Got selling related questions? Start here: