💬 Weekly Chat with the eBay Community Team- 24.05.23 @2pm

Hi everybody!

The Community Chat will open at 2pm and will remain open until 3pm on Wednesday. After that it will be closed for further questions. Of course, we will continue to take care of answering any questions that may still be unanswered—We’ll get to everything as quickly as possible. 

Please ask your questions in the thread below. In order to be able to answer your questions as quickly as possible, we ask you to have one question per post. Of course, you can make as many posts as you like in the Chat- the more the merrier!

Our eBay Community Team is made up of kat@ebay , dave@ebay  and katie@ebay . Between us, we have knowledge in Buying, Selling, ProTrader, Fulfilment, Parts & Accessories, Payments, and the Community itself. Anything we aren’t sure on we’ll know the people who will be! Please ask us any questions you may have and we’ll do all we can to support. 

To ask your question, click Reply in the lower-right corner of this post, type your question, and click Reply between 2pm and 3pm. The community team will answer each incoming question in chronological order, and will quote the original question in each answer. 

Please note that any reply without a question to the community team or discussion replies may be removed from the chat. We want to keep on track to get through as many questions as possible. We welcome all discussion to be moved to the discussion boards. 

If you missed the weekly chat time, please ask your question in the community boards and tag us or we will be back next week with another chat! 

Many thanks,

Your eBay Community Team

Available via Email for Community-related inquiries:
contactcommunity@ebay.comeBay
Message 1 of 17
See Most Recent
16 REPLIES 16

What has happened to ebay? I had perfectly fine sales, Apriĺ 7th there was an obvious change in traffic.

I contacted support May 2nd and traffic was getting less and less. They told me to turn off sponsored listings. I left it off for a week and it's been pretty much zero sales since.

I look at Terapeak insights and see there are sellers still selling in my category, so why is it that i've been switched off.

Message 2 of 17
See Most Recent

It's quite clear on my traffic reports something happened. And when i was told to switch on promotions that has basically closed me down. You can see I switched back on but sales have never come.

lord_and_lady_m_0-1684933933266.png

Message 3 of 17
See Most Recent

Suddenly, I've also had 2 item not received cases opened. I very very rarely get any. 

Both people have escalated and won. So what then will happen as it less and less sales, those cases as a proportion the sales within the defined period, will be greater. That will put me into below average which in turn I guess will make traffic less, plus I'll have to pay even more. 

Has eBay been pushing people to open cases more than ever or not giving people an option to contact us first? One of these customers was one of my regular customers and hasn't replied to anything I've sent her. 

Message 4 of 17
See Most Recent

Does eBay think it's ok to take a higher proportion of income from the lowest earners? 

Sell low value things and it'll take around 40% of the gross before you even pay postage. 

The fees are very much geared towards high prices and volume so us small sellers haven't a chance. Add on the subscription. It's like we're paying eBay for nothing. 

Message 5 of 17
See Most Recent

@lord_and_lady_m wrote:

What has happened to ebay? I had perfectly fine sales, Apriĺ 7th there was an obvious change in traffic.

I contacted support May 2nd and traffic was getting less and less. They told me to turn off sponsored listings. I left it off for a week and it's been pretty much zero sales since.

I look at Terapeak insights and see there are sellers still selling in my category, so why is it that i've been switched off.

Hi @lord_and_lady_m ,

There isn't a function on eBay that turns off an account to not allow sales. I appreciate there may be times when sales drop and this can be down to various factors such as seasonality and cost of living as examples. We will request for that call of the 2nd of May to be checked to ensure that correct information and advise was given as promoted listings is a great tool to use.  We are not aware of any tech issues that occurred since the April timeframe that would be impacting sales.

We cannot review account performance on a individual basis here due to it being a public platform. I would recommend to reach out to customer support here so they can do an internal check and provide support for optimising.

Thank you,

Kat

I am currently away on maternity leave. Please reach out to the community team for support
Did you find your solution? Help other members by marking your problem as solved. Simply click on "Accept as solution" for the answer that helped you.

eBay
Message 6 of 17
See Most Recent

At what point do ebay hope to have a better funcioning site? As currently is is awful for both buyers and sellers. Business sellers seem to be paying a premium but not receiving a premium service from ebay with all the glitchs currently. 

Messages received recently:

Customers asking if a item can be shipped when nearly all listing have shipping included. Not the first time recevied this sort of message in the last few months. 

Customer messaging saying they can't pay for a best offer item as error message - lots of messages about this on other chat groups

Buyers don't seem to be shown listing, descriptions espicially for used items which mention defects. Then get hit with not as described returns or negative feedback. Which ebay seem unwilling to now remove.

ebay champion preloved, second life etc. These items are not brand new and likely to have imperfections and important that buyers read descriptions, condition reports. But it seems ebay recent changes are all about getting the buyer to click buy and pay as quickly as possible and then leaving sellers deal with the hassle of returns, negative feedback and defects on accounts. 

Tried to relist an older item today with sell similar but the video did not transfer over as saying video not approved. 

Message 7 of 17
See Most Recent

@lord_and_lady_m wrote:

Suddenly, I've also had 2 item not received cases opened. I very very rarely get any. 

Both people have escalated and won. So what then will happen as it less and less sales, those cases as a proportion the sales within the defined period, will be greater. That will put me into below average which in turn I guess will make traffic less, plus I'll have to pay even more. 

Has eBay been pushing people to open cases more than ever or not giving people an option to contact us first? One of these customers was one of my regular customers and hasn't replied to anything I've sent her. 

Hi @lord_and_lady_m 

There has been no change in how we communicate to buyers, when an EDD passes there can be some notifications set to let buyers know their options. 

INRs are hard for us to disprove unless there is tracking so unfortunately if a case is escalated with it will usually be found in the buyers favour if there is no tracking. I understand these will have a larger impact during times of less sales so where possible you should add tracking to an item. To help minimise these issues. 

Buyers will always have the option to reach out to sellers so I cant comment on why one of your customers my not have chosen to message you first when they have an issue. 

Thanks,

Dave

Did you find your solution? Help other members by marking your problem as solved. Simply click on "Accept as solution" for the answer that helped you.
eBay
Message 8 of 17
See Most Recent

@lord_and_lady_m wrote:

Does eBay think it's ok to take a higher proportion of income from the lowest earners? 

Sell low value things and it'll take around 40% of the gross before you even pay postage. 

The fees are very much geared towards high prices and volume so us small sellers haven't a chance. Add on the subscription. It's like we're paying eBay for nothing. 

Hi @lord_and_lady_m ,

All fees are outlined by eBay on the site before users list an item for sale. I understand sellers may not agree with the percentages but these are set in line with the services eBay provide across the platform. In regards to subscriptions it is up to each eBay seller to make their own decision on what to use for their business. 

Thank you,

Kat 

I am currently away on maternity leave. Please reach out to the community team for support

eBay
Message 9 of 17
See Most Recent

And then there's the next hit to low value items. 

You tell me where I can find a tracked service that the customers are.willi go pay for, when the item is costing them a couple of pounds? 

My issue is not the INR case it's the penalisation we get. I bet if you looked across my account of the years of have lot INR cases to many others yet, all the eBay is bothered about is marking my homework and me paying for it. 

So does eBay not support low value products? I'd they do why do they charge us a higher proportion? 

Message 10 of 17
See Most Recent

I've had 2 payment disputes on processing over a month, was told on the 2nd of May that they would be resolved very soon only to be told today it'll likely take almost the full 90 days!! Both buyers are long banned and tracking shows delivered but ebay keeps passing the blame onto me and I'd presume £2350 been held would affect majority of ebayers. How can I get all the blame when I should be covered with sellers protections & have no way of looking into a buyers order history and am not a payment processor I'm just a seller..

Message 11 of 17
See Most Recent

I agree, but I also think when you pay for a service, you should expect something in return, just like our customers.

Currently it's nothing for some and plenty for others. I'm paying for a service and getting less and less traffic and sales in return. I paid to promote and that cost me more and more and then still nothing in return. 

It feels like I am being pushed out? Does eBay not value everyone?  Sur ethe big sellers have worse feedback and more INRs than me but because they take more, there proportions of fees are so low and and bad feedback has no impact.  

Message 12 of 17
See Most Recent

@returns_andexdisplay wrote:

At what point do ebay hope to have a better funcioning site? As currently is is awful for both buyers and sellers. Business sellers seem to be paying a premium but not receiving a premium service from ebay with all the glitchs currently. 

Messages received recently:

Customers asking if a item can be shipped when nearly all listing have shipping included. Not the first time recevied this sort of message in the last few months. 

Customer messaging saying they can't pay for a best offer item as error message - lots of messages about this on other chat groups

Buyers don't seem to be shown listing, descriptions espicially for used items which mention defects. Then get hit with not as described returns or negative feedback. Which ebay seem unwilling to now remove.

ebay champion preloved, second life etc. These items are not brand new and likely to have imperfections and important that buyers read descriptions, condition reports. But it seems ebay recent changes are all about getting the buyer to click buy and pay as quickly as possible and then leaving sellers deal with the hassle of returns, negative feedback and defects on accounts. 

Tried to relist an older item today with sell similar but the video did not transfer over as saying video not approved. 

Hi @returns_andexdisplay 

As with all websites and especially with a site this big there can be technical issues but they can be caused from issues on our side or the end users and the software they are using. As was the case with some of the issues you've mentioned. 

With cases it can be difficult for the resolution center team to contradict the buyers reasons so with preloved items especially we always advise sellers to state any imperfections with the item when creating the listing. This will then help with the outcome of any opened cases. 

I cant see what happened with the video not being approved but this could have been for number of reasons for example, the size or file type of the video or it may have breached one of the policies found here .

Thanks,

Dave

eBay
Message 13 of 17
See Most Recent

@wecheck wrote:

I've had 2 payment disputes on processing over a month, was told on the 2nd of May that they would be resolved very soon only to be told today it'll likely take almost the full 90 days!! Both buyers are long banned and tracking shows delivered but ebay keeps passing the blame onto me and I'd presume £2350 been held would affect majority of ebayers. How can I get all the blame when I should be covered with sellers protections & have no way of looking into a buyers order history and am not a payment processor I'm just a seller..

Hi @wecheck ,

I understand this is quite alot of funds to have on hold.  While we cannot control the timeframe of how long the resolution takes due the dispute being filed with the buyers financial institutions I'll follow up with our payments team offline to get some clarification .

Thank you,

Kat

eBay
Message 14 of 17
See Most Recent

I am having more and more buyers upset by eBays EDDs - for example, buyer purchased on a Friday evening, EDD was Monday to Wednesday; I wasn't even due to dispatch until Tuesday. The buyer messaged me on Saturday asking why not yet dispatched as understandably, as delivery was estimated from the Monday, she expected it to be dispatched BY the Monday. I had to try and explain eBays estimated delivery dates, how I MIGHT have posted it sooner but I couldn't,  as I have RM collections which are Monday - Friday, I up going back and forwards with her, she became more and more frustrated and ended up cancelling the order and leaving me a lovely negative.

So my question is - is there a link for buyers to explain how eBay calculate their EDDs which we can direct buyers to?

Message 15 of 17
See Most Recent

@lord_and_lady_m wrote:

And then there's the next hit to low value items. 

You tell me where I can find a tracked service that the customers are.willi go pay for, when the item is costing them a couple of pounds? 

My issue is not the INR case it's the penalisation we get. I bet if you looked across my account of the years of have lot INR cases to many others yet, all the eBay is bothered about is marking my homework and me paying for it. 

So does eBay not support low value products? I'd they do why do they charge us a higher proportion? 

Hi @lord_and_lady_m 

I cant recommend one service over another, as you know this is something sellers will have to review and work into their business model. 

The policies around how INRs are processed are the same regardless of the price of the item, we cannot create different policies based on the price of item as would be unfair to some sellers. 

Thanks,

Dave

eBay
Message 16 of 17
See Most Recent

@petals-and-paws wrote:

I am having more and more buyers upset by eBays EDDs - for example, buyer purchased on a Friday evening, EDD was Monday to Wednesday; I wasn't even due to dispatch until Tuesday. The buyer messaged me on Saturday asking why not yet dispatched as understandably, as delivery was estimated from the Monday, she expected it to be dispatched BY the Monday. I had to try and explain eBays estimated delivery dates, how I MIGHT have posted it sooner but I couldn't,  as I have RM collections which are Monday - Friday, I up going back and forwards with her, she became more and more frustrated and ended up cancelling the order and leaving me a lovely negative.

So my question is - is there a link for buyers to explain how eBay calculate their EDDs which we can direct buyers to?

Hi @petals-and-paws,

Please find the link here for explaining the calculation of estimated delivery dates to buyers.

Thank you,

Kat

eBay
Message 17 of 17
See Most Recent
About this Weekly Chat!

Welcome to the Weekly Chat with the eBay Community Team! Unless otherwise noted, chats occur every Wednesday from 2pm to 3pm.

Our Community Team will be in the Chats to help with the questions.

If you have multiple questions please open a post per question so we can get back to them individually. If it's something we can't answer right away we will get back to you after the chat has finished.