Answer
bonjoviloverycc
Community Member
Buyer claims to have NOT received item, i have proof of posting

I need help here please!! Buyer is saying that they never received item, I have proof of posting. I have told the buyer twice now that I have proof of posting, and offered to help, but got no response. NOW, I find out she has opened a case against me, and wishes a full refund for the missing item???? I still have my receipt from the Post office....what can I do?? I have tried to assist, and my offers have been ignored. I am certainly not willing to pay any money in refund, when I have posted item and have proof of same. Can someone please advise??

Other Answers: 23
cackle_frodo
Community Member
Answered
in reply to bonjoviloverycc

Hi,

A Proof of Postage is not proof of delivery! 

Ask the buyer to check with their local sorting office and neighbours as posties sometimes forget to leave a card. Items that don't need to be signed for are kept for 3 weeks before being returned to sender; signed for items for 7 days.

R.M. don't consider anything lost until 15 working days after due date of delivery UK (25 days overseas). Most sellers will therefore usually ask the buyer to wait until it is deemed lost before refunding/replacing.

As you have a Proof of Posting (receipt with house number and post code) then you can send them a scan/photo to reassure the buyer it was posted. Once deemed lost you will be able to file a claim for up to £46 with R.M. You need a form P58 from the P.O. or download from link on this page:

http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/content2?catId=69800733&mediaId=80300735

You will need to attach a copy of the listing, the PayPal transaction and the receipt/proof of postage.  Keep a copy of everything as not unknown for them to go astray.

R.M. will usually contact the buyer (UK) asking them to confirm non-receipt. If they don't respond within 5 days you don't get the compensation. Hence the need to maintain good comms with the buyer.

If the buyer escalates the dispute through eBay/PayPal, then as you can't provide a tracking number to prove delivery, the buyer will be refunded in full.

tiger_owl
Community Member
Answered

I am certainly not willing to pay any money in refund

Oh yes you will!

How can you have had almost 1,800 trades on ebay and never considered what ebay buyer protection means?

There's a link to it on every item you have sold - do yourself a favour and find out what it says about your responsibilities as a seller.

the_belle_of_the_ball
Community Member
Answered

This is why you should always use recorded delivery or special delivery as it makes no difference having a postal receipt :i learned this the hard way with a dodgy buyer who was scamming me and many other sellers by claiming he never received his items when we all knew he did as confirmed by his delivery office however we all still had to refund him then claim from royal mail as postal receipts were not enough to prove he received the items and ebay found in his favour but he got caught out when i sent a replacement and used recorded delivery .He even then try to claim he hadn,t received it but i proved he did with the tracking and he eventually was banned from ebay..twice! I only use recorded now every time!

bonjoviloverycc
Community Member
Answered

Exactly!!! So i wonder why 2 years ago i paid for an item from an ebay shop, never received it, opened a case after unsuccessful communications with the seller, and still didn't get MY refund???? Funny that!!

dyfrigj
Community Member
Answered

I have every sympathy with Bonjovilover, as I've found myself in a similar situation. I think that part of the problem is that at some point there has been a change in the terms and conditions. It used to be the case that the buyer had to pay for postal insurance, or be prepared to accept the loss of the item. By now, the responsibility has shifted onto the seller to provide proof of delivery, not just proof of postage. When this happened, I'm not sure.

cackle_frodo
Community Member
Answered

Hi,

Why do you need to call Customer Services?

When you registered with eBay/PayPal you agreed to their policies.  One of which is that in the event of an Item Not Received dispute you need to prove delivery with a tracking number and if you can't the buyer will be refunded!

See help page here:

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/seller-protection-faq.html

Disputes are now recorded on your dashboard and affect ratings, so best avoided whenever possible in future, espeically when you are in a no-win situation.

http://sellerupdate.ebay.co.uk/june2010/cases-seller-standards.html

Although unfortunately, some buyers will go straight to open a dispute without first trying to contact the seller first.

babys*mum
Community Member
Answered

Proof of postage is not enough you need to be able to supply proof of delivery online

As Your account has already been marred by the buyer opening a dispute, it will be advisable to refund the buyer sooner rather than later...before ebay make the decision for you and you end up with a restriction on your account.

With your proof of posting you can claim from RM, you need to get the buyer onside as RM may ocntact them asking them to confirm non receipt, if they dont you will not receive a refund from RM.

If more than 15 working days have passed since posting the item, Print off the listing page, paypal transaction and the message where the buyer states non receipt, fill out a claim form ...photocopy all documents and send the originals to RM

snipe-meister
Community Member
Answered

You have proof of posting, not proof of delivery.

All you can do is take the buyer's word for it, refund in full and try to claim for the missing item from Royal Mail. :smileysad:

gdmnw
Community Member
Answered

The challenge for me is that I have sold an item for £40 to a buyer in Mexico. International signed for is £5 on top of the postage price.

Is there a better way to prove he has received the item? No buyer is going to volunteer to pay £5 extra in postage when it only protects me as the seller...

cackle_frodo
Community Member
Answered

If your seller couldn't provide a tracking number to prove delivery, then you should have received a refund, if not from the seller then from ebay - assuming it was eligible for Buyer Protection.

You could have appealed.  Or, if you funded your payment with a debit/credit card you could have contacted your card company to see if they could recover your money.

online-bakery-uk
Community Member
Answered

Im afraid that it is your responsibility to refund the buyer and claim yourself from RM

You need to prove online delivery with a tracking number otherwise the buyer will win the claim, and it will also count towards your seller performance.

RM dont class anything lost for 15 working days, after that time refund and claim yourself if it hasnt turned up

cackle_frodo
Community Member
Answered

Hi,

The only way you can 'assist' is to refund their payment as you are in a no-win situation i.e. can't prove delivery with the tracking number.

Then you file the claim with R.M. when time allows.

As the seller you ARE resonsible for items that are lost/damaged in transit, so suggest you change the T&Cs in your listing.

cackle_frodo
Community Member
Answered

BTW, IF you were to send them the POP to claim from R.M., then there would be nothing to stop them being refund by R.M. and through eBay/PayPal - and you end up with zilch.

You need to treat buyers as you would like to be treated yourself if you were in the same shoes!

snewton1970
Community Member
Answered

Also never use recorded delivery if the item is valuble, a lot of people think that recorded delivery is trackable

but it isn't, you can only track recorded when the item has been delivered

so if it goes missing/or is stolen there is no way to track the item, also recorded is treated like all first and second class mail

if item has any value send it special delivery as this mail is kept seperate from all other mail and every time special deliverys change hands between post office to driver to sorting to delivery it is signed for each time so if it did go missing royal mail can track where it went missing

crbarnes001
Community Member
Answered

there are things you can do, even with just proof of postage

the ebay scammers guide for sellers. http://goo.gl/FtO9AO

den3333
Community Member
Answered

dont worry give ebay the tracking number you will be ok they will have to pay the buyer you getting into a twist over nothing......just be straight with ebay best of luck john

e.reverie
Community Member
Answered

I bought an xbox 360 last month but did not receive it. The buyer supplied a tracking number. It can be tracked to the sorting depot but no further than that. The depot can not find it. I opened a cease with paypal to get my money back. paypal has rejected my claim because the buyer had proof of postage although not delivery. this confuses me. I could not claim from parcel force the seller had to and he did not so i am out of pocket. seems strange to me

tcar1809
Community Member
Answered
This happens all the time . I have a buyer who sent me a email saying he wanted a partial refund because he over paid I partially refunded . Next day he says I need a full refund it never came . It's called buyers remorse something times they over bid because the want to win then when they win the regret it and lie to get money back . I sell more on Amazon and Craig's list ebay foes not care about the sellers fees are crazy . You pay ebay and paypal double fees .
bigwrightie
Community Member
Answered

As I see things you may be liable to refund buyer with the money received for your sale that is claimed not to have been delivered. Proof of postage is not proof of delivery unless signed for at point of receipt.

Your recourse would then be with the company that you used to ship your good to purchaser. If you have a receipt from the company that proves they uplifted then you can pursue them for (any) cost incurred by you. In terms of damages I'd seek legal advice however I wouldn't hold out too much hope there.

alextaylor1985
Community Member
Answered

Sellers are protected also on here. If you have reciept and can get proof that its been delivered then dont worry. Let ebay do the work. As long as you provide reciepts etc... then ull be ok.

The Buyer protection is a protection by ebay in which they usually refund the customer themselves if the issue is not resolved. Once an item came and the packet was empty. I had to fill out a form and RM sent me a cheque after about 2 months. 

bonjoviloverycc
Community Member
Answered

Note please that I have offered twice to assist in the matter, and both times I have been ignored!! What more am I meant to do?? I think this is disgraceful!

bonjoviloverycc
Community Member
Answered

I will be taking this matter up with ebay customer services.

raverbhoy
Community Member
Answered

i know what you mean seller has to take the hit ,happened to me a few times, buyer has all the advantadges.