scott_lightfoot
Community Member
Accepted Solution

Royal Mail Special Delivery (Tracking Info)

Hey all

I posted an item on Saturday by Special Delivery. I've just checked the tracking info and it says "There is no data available for this tracking reference, please try again later" should I be worried?

Please use plain text.
cornucopia-costume
Community Member

Re: Royal Mail Special Delivery (Tracking Info)

in reply to scott_lightfoot

Try putting the tracking number in here, it usually gives you more information than directly on the RM website

http://www.royalmail.com/trackdetails

Please use plain text.
i_failed_my_dna_test
Community Member

in reply to cornucopia-costume

In theory the tracking should be live by the time you return home from the Post Office .

In practice as the RM tracking software has been written by failed ebay software tekkies it frequently is delivered before the tracking number goes live .

If nothing shows on the RM tracking bix , there is a number you can phone on the site .

Also if it has not been delivered in the time frame that you paid for , make sure that you reclaim the costs from Royal Mail .

Please use plain text.
cornucopia-costume
Community Member

in reply to i_failed_my_dna_test

i_failed_my_dna_test wrote:

In theory the tracking should be live by the time you return home from the Post Office .

In practice as the RM tracking software has been written by failed ebay software tekkies it frequently is delivered before the tracking number goes live .

If nothing shows on the RM tracking bix , there is a number you can phone on the site .

Also if it has not been delivered in the time frame that you paid for , make sure that you reclaim the costs from Royal Mail .

As I said the link I gave gives more information than using thr RM website homepage tracking box, so always worth checking before wasting money phoning. It gives information every step of the way and not just posted, out for delivery, delivered.

It gives where and what time it was picked up, then all  the depots it arrives at on the way to it's destination right through to delivery. Youi can easily see if there's a delay with this.

Please use plain text.
hatsford
Community Member

I had this recently. I had a very worried buyer as I had sent two packages to him (as the weights made it cheaper). One special, one 1st class large letter, Both posted Saturday am - the later in the post box.

10am Monday the large letter had arrived, but nothing was showing on the tracking for the special delvery. It finally appeared on the system lunchtime Monday as being collected from the Post Office, and was delivered Tuesday.

The reason, quite a lot of Posts Offices (especially small ones) have an early mail collection on Saturday  - well before they close the counter - so if you missed the cut off for that then your item will sit in the post office until Monday

---
Experience is something we gain, just after we needed it
Please use plain text.
aunty_bess
Community Member

in reply to i_failed_my_dna_test

The Royal Mail helpline is horrendous! Its all automated and sends you round in a complete circle. It's had me in tears in the past and I am not normally an emotional person.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

There is so little meat left on the golden goose, that eBay is running out of ways to try and strangle it - Megvicbob 2013
Please use plain text.
maccyy0161
Community Member

Great info and it works too! Thanks
Please use plain text.
porobasi
Community Member

how did you get this link? its work fine but why i cant find it after long search?

Please use plain text.
girlracer5295
Community Member

Thank you for posting the link, was a little concerned the homepage search returned no data.

Your link is very well populated.

Please use plain text.
cornucopia-costume
Community Member

in reply to porobasi

i've been using that tracking page for ages now and it was someone at Roayl Maill who told me to use it when I called about a parcel.

Please use plain text.
suebrereton2012
Community Member

I posted a letter on the 14th December by special delivery as up to today it has not been delivered the tracking page just says the item is being processed for delivery it has said that for a week now what is the point of paying for special delivery
Please use plain text.
r1j2e3s4j5
Community Member

in reply to suebrereton2012

suebrereton2012 wrote:
I posted a letter on the 14th December by special delivery as up to today it has not been delivered the tracking page just says the item is being processed for delivery it has said that for a week now what is the point of paying for special delivery

It probably has been delivered.

Its just the system that hasnt updated.  Sometimes the systems never update.

If its a problem though you can phone Royal Mail and ask for the system to be updated, but unless your buyer is claiming non receipt of item, then theres no point.

Please use plain text.
aernethril
Community Member

in reply to suebrereton2012

I'd say that if it is not updated and never shows delivery, then put in a claim by RM as there are guarantees with SD and if they don't deliver, you should get your money back for using that service.

Please use plain text.
sheena-b
Community Member

in reply to porobasi

I also found it sometime back on Tamebay...

Why the RM don't use it as standard God knows ...but this T&T it is much more detailed! The Russia Post are about the best...when the item eventually gets on their tracking system...unfortunately their deliveries don't match the standard of tracking!!! USPS tracking is also very detailed these days!

'ITS NICE TO BE NICE AND COSTS NOTHING' ...and it often pays dividends! (My mum!)
Please use plain text.
aernethril
Community Member

in reply to sheena-b

How come you got a faded google link in yer info section, Sheena?

Please use plain text.
russell.horwood
Community Member

Oh my god I had no idea that Royal Mail DO actually have tracking information. Why on Earth is there the useless tracker page that always has no information (the one that shows up on Google) when they have this other page, that looks exactly the same, except it actually works. The mind boggles!

cornucopia-costume wrote:

Try putting the tracking number in here, it usually gives you more information than directly on the RM website

http://www.royalmail.com/trackdetails

Please use plain text.
ukdavi_k9egi
Community Member

used Royal MAIL TO SIGN FOR service for the first time last friday sent first class...and I too went on the tracking site today............what a laugh  it says no information available...................ha ha ha what a load of rubbish

Please use plain text.