Issued a refund but buyer not returned item

I sold an item but when the buyer received it they said it was damaged so I issued a refund but they haven't returned the item to me and won't reply to my emails 

Message 1 of 8
See Most Recent
7 REPLIES 7

The buyer should have opened an item not as described case. They will then be issued with a return label which is charged to you. You then refund when it has been returned to you. If you chose to refund before this happened or if you refunded before the buyer opened a case,  then you probably will not get your item back .

Message 2 of 8
See Most Recent

You don't refund until item is returned and the buyer is suppose to open a case first. You'll not get it back now.

Message 3 of 8
See Most Recent

I assume this is your £80 bottle of coco chanel mademoiselle parfum which sold to someone with 4 feedbacks ? This is an expensive lesson unfortunately.

As others have already said, you did not follow the returns process. The buyer has to open a not as described case and then a returns label is issued to them, You aren't the first to fall for this and you won't be the last although I am sure that is little consolation right now.   

Message 4 of 8
See Most Recent

As above plus

If a similar circumstance comes up and your not sure of something, post on these forums, generally you will get good advice.

Report the buyer, the system will log and if they do or have done in the past  the same thing Ebay may act. 

Good luck

Message 5 of 8
See Most Recent

You can email the buyer and say that if you don't receive the item, or proof of posting and a tracking number by a certain date, you will raise a Small Claim to recover your funds.  You should also write to them, send the letter Special Delivery and keep a screenshot of the RM confirmation of delivery.  This may galvanise them into action. 

Raising a claim will cost you £35, and it's a straightforward process that can be done online.  If they pay, you will receive the amount of the claim, plus the filing fee.  If they don't pay, and you get judgement, they will get a CCJ (unless they pay within seven days) which will impact their credit score.  You can take further action to recover the funds but, if the item value is £80, it's probably not worth the cost to take it further.

By mistake, I refunded a buyer before receiving the item and she didn't respond to emails.  I threatened Small Claims, and she sent it back - with a message to say that she'd been too busy to do it earlier.

Message 6 of 8
See Most Recent

I too and it appears quite common, have fallen  in to the eBay trap! I received an " Item not as described" from the buyer. The item wording was actually correct, but without realising I'd used a photo of a same item I'd sold previously,  but it was for the left side of the car. I felt as the wording was correct the buyer, who it appears bought the item from my photo WITHOUT reading the total wording of the advertisement? should have contacted me for clarification of the situation, but I didn't argue the point.  I saw there was a choice  to "Return and Refund" so I assumed logically this was the correct action thinking the money would be refunded, but held in a suspense account by eBay pending the return of my item and once I'd received it and confirmed it was ok I clicked whatever and only then would eBay release the money, I really don't know what happened after clicking "Return and Refund" I assumed that was all I had to do as I thought eBay would set the process in motion, it also said something like, "don't worry if you haven't generated the return label as we will do this after a couple of days" I thought at that point, good this is a 'fail safe' and left it at that.  Well it appears the return label was never printed and whilst the buyer received his refund he has flatly refused to return my item on the grounds that I didn't generate  the return label?  He said I can pick it up from his place 460 return miles from my home!  I offered to send him the postal cost and requested his bank details but he has, despite doing this three times,  failed to reply to me!! He is a totally unreasonable person and it appears, a thief!! 

In view of my an others experience of this eBay trap, eBay should make it QUITE CLEAR what happens when AFTER you have clicked on "Return and Refund" so you can correct this action if necessary, currently  it is somewhat confusing. 

I have reported the buyer to eBay twice now, explained what has happened. I have NO idea if they wil take action in my favour or not as their  very short reply really gives me NO confidence at all!!  I've managed to find a phone number for the UK and will, if it's a live number? call them next week to discuss this appalling situation in the hope that SOMETHING tangible can happen in my favour!!  I'm not hold my breath though!!

Message 7 of 8
See Most Recent

Was this the return of one of the  last 2 items you recently sold?  Both were heavy items , when a return label is generated it's fit only for a 2 kg item, and here the buyer would need to contact eBay Customer Services for the correct label,  and that charge would be passed onto your account.

Something has gone awry here if there was no tracking to show a return,  and a refund was made.

Do contact eBay Customer Service they have full access to your account and should see the item was not returned as per MBG rules, but a refund somehow was made.

Not sure about the phone number for eBay UK you've found,  because there isn't one that works,  their main line of communicaton is through a Live Chat and sometimes there's a Call Back to select.

Being a Sunday , lines open a little later today at 9 a.m.   I strongly suggest to call very first thing when the lines open at 9 a.m. as there's more chance of Dublin answering.

Good luck hope you get it resolved in your favour.

To Contact Customer Services, I find the quickest way to contact them, either for a Live Chat, or you can select to speak and request a Call Back, to click on this link:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/eua?id=5275&mkevt=1&mkpid

On weekdays lines open between 8 a.m. and 10 p.m.

On weekends they open between 9 a.m. and 6 p.m.

Message 8 of 8
See Most Recent
Got selling related questions? Start here: