Cash on collection - what if buyer pays via eBay (and/or requests courier) before collecting?

irt303
Conversationalist

Hi, I'm preparing to list a couple of vinyl record job lots for collection only.

I haven't done a 'collection in person' listing before, and feel rather nervous about how things could go (assuming a sale, of course). It seems a bit 'Wild West', with all manner of potential pitfalls!

My strong preference, after having read various posts on the subject, is for the buyer to pay cash upon collection. I have expressed this preference in the listing, but I know that sellers cannot insist on this, which is why eBay includes other payment methods in the listing. I've also made it clear that I will neither send the records via courier, nor accept the buyer arranging for a courier to collect.

Although the listings aren't even live yet, and I'm not in an awkward situation (as yet!), I do like to be forearmed with some information. So, what options would I have if a buyer ignores (or doesn't even read) my payment preference, and makes payment through eBay prior to collection? Message the buyer, and politely ask if they'd consider accepting a refund, then paying cash when they collect? Presumably, this would involve having to relist, too. I also believe that eBay would not allow me to cancel the sale without dishing out a defect or two. And what if the buyer refuses my request? Would I just have to accept the eBay payment, and cross my fingers and toes that the buyer won't open a claim once home with their purchase?

And what would happen if the buyer requested that I send via courier, or asked if they could arrange collection via courier? Would these be acceptable reasons (i.e. without me incurring defects) for me to cancel the sale?

If anyone has any tips, advice or answers, especially from recent experience, I'd be very grateful - I'm all ears!

As usual, I'm trying to anticipate problems that may not even arise, but if things were to go wobbly, I'd like to have at least a general idea of what I could do, rather than heading to these pages in an absolute panic!

Many thanks!

Message 1 of 48
See Most Recent
47 REPLIES 47

Cash on collection - what if buyer pays via eBay (and/or requests courier) before collecting?

Hi TG

I am in hiding taking copious amounts of valium.

Dingo

Message 41 of 48
See Most Recent

It's wine o clock here,  @dancewithadingo 

Message 42 of 48
See Most Recent

I've gone ro Woolloomooloo to escape from you know who.

Dingo

Ps. Only joking Irt

Message 43 of 48
See Most Recent

I like the listing text, it makes it clear how you want this sale to proceed and I can't see how a buyer could misinterpret it. I would, however, remove the bit about 'sold as seen' only because it's a meaningless statement. If your buyer is paying cash it's a moot point and if they're paying via eBay checkout they can get their money back no matter what. 

Message 44 of 48
See Most Recent

@dancewithadingo& @tressygirl  - Ha ha, no worries! Hope you enjoyed the valium / wine! Thanks again, both of you, for your patience and advice.

The job lots are going live at 10pm tonight. I "just did it".

Message 45 of 48
See Most Recent

@*vyolla*- Thanks for looking at the text. I followed your advice and removed "Sold as seen". I initially included it as I'd seen it on another vinyl job lot listing, but you're right, it doesn't really count for anything.

Message 46 of 48
See Most Recent

Good Evening Irt

Your soul record pictures have a red tinge to them. The first one shown ie The Way I Feel shows nipples which may contravene eBay's nudity policy.

On the three listings you haven't actuall said just how many records there are in the bundle. You really need to make a play on that ie tell prospective buyers there are 100 (or just how many there are,I can't be bothered counting them) records which equates to 10p a record etc. 

Finally if it was me selling them then I would do a video of flicking through them.  I would certainly re-take the pictures.

Neither would I list them record by record, I would just list 3/4 and add something along the lines of plus many additional desirable records. 

Message 47 of 48
See Most Recent

@dancewithadingo - Hi, yes, those photos are a bit pink-ish. They seemed okay when I took them, but I wasn't in the best lighting conditions. I was trying to do the best I could in less than ideal circumstances!

I'm reluctant to revise the listing now, as it was listed during a FVF promo period.

I did originally state the number of records in each bundle, but I was afraid I may have miscounted, and was too frazzled to go through them again. I deleted the number as I didn't want a buyer saying "Your listing said there were 165 records, there were only 164!".

I agree, a video may have helped.

As for listing each record, I've already done it, so too late for those listings, but it's something I'll bear in mind in future (especially considering how long it took to itemize each record).

Thanks for looking at the listing and offering helpful input.

Message 48 of 48
See Most Recent
Got selling related questions? Start here: