auto-pay on send-an-offer items

Ebay now seem to require auto-pay on items that I wish to make an offer on ? Guess what Ebay I will not authorise auto pay on each item so therefore I will not send offers to sellers. Another good feature that you have runied - the excuse its to stop people who then dont pay for the item is garbage = you know who made the offer, you now who did not pay so suspend their account for a week or send them an email - you would rather make everyone auto-pay well I will just not bother making offers. 

Message 1 of 98
See Most Recent
97 REPLIES 97

Hey thanks for that. It seems to have worked - for now 🙂
Message 41 of 98
See Most Recent

I've just got off the phone with eBay and I have a sort of fix, well it allows me which payment method within PayPal I use for this particular offer...

Go to Account Settings, then select Payments and delete the PayPal account used for offers (written in green).

Then when you make your next offer eBay will prompt PayPal to ask you which payment type you want to use.

The downside is you have to do this everytime you want to change the payment type PayPal uses.

Message 42 of 98
See Most Recent

It is possible to opt out of autopay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/bmgt/buyerrequirements

Scroll down to the bottom of the page

Message 43 of 98
See Most Recent

mrut8186, I'm affraid you are wrong...

As a buyer it is NOT possible to turn off auto-pay !

As a seller you have the option of turning auto-pay on or off.

As a buyer the only option is to remove the existing auto-pay setup, but you will be required to complete it again the next time you encounter a listing with auto-pay switched on.

Message 44 of 98
See Most Recent

Sorry if my post wasn't clear.  I was referring to seller (not buyer) accounts

https://www.ebay.co.uk/bmgt/BuyerRequirements

Message 45 of 98
See Most Recent

I sold 7 items two weeks ago and was able to send a combined invoice in the usual manner. Today the autopay function kicked in and created more work for me. At sometime in the last 2 weeks I have been opted in without my agreement or knowledge. I'm sure some sellers will find it useful but I sell low value items and from time to time have multiple sales to the same buyer and autopay will make additional work for me so I have now opted out. I would recommend that everyone checks their buyer requirements.  

Message 46 of 98
See Most Recent

Ah OK understood, but it's a real issue for buyers with more than one way to pay in PayPal as you no longer get the option to select which method (e.g. Bank account vs credit card) of PayPal payment you want to use, it just uses the one you setup on a previous offer. As I buy some items for my business and some for personal use, I need to retain the option to select which payment method I use. Even if I created a seperate eBay account for my business I still need to select the payment method in PayPal.

Message 47 of 98
See Most Recent

Sellers can opt out of autopay

Scroll down to the bottom of the page and untick the last box

Message 48 of 98
See Most Recent

@mrut8186 wrote:

Sellers can opt out of autopay

Scroll down to the bottom of the page and untick the last box

Yes I know.

Some sellers have opted in because they want to and that's their choice.

But eBay in its big brother mode has turned it on for others without their knowledge.

What I don't like is when a buyer provides a payment method once it gets applied automatically evermore.

EBay makes auto payments hard to stop for buyers and there's no convenient off button like there is for sellers.

But post 37 tell buyers how to stop them.

Message 49 of 98
See Most Recent

Strange, I've made a number of offers recently (some oddly do seemed to have skipped straight to purchases without getting the 'offer accepted' notification) with no issues.
When you say 'auto-pay', is that the same as having payment method (such as debit or credit card) set-up? (Far as I know, can't make bids either, if that not the case)

Message 50 of 98
See Most Recent

@hxxa7771 wrote:

Strange, I've made a number of offers recently (some oddly do seemed to have skipped straight to purchases without getting the 'offer accepted' notification) with no issues.
When you say 'auto-pay', is that the same as having payment method (such as debit or credit card) set-up? (Far as I know, can't make bids either, if that not the case)

Auto pay or automatic payments is when the seller wants you to provide a payment method before you can make an offer.

If you do provide it the payment is taken automatically as soon as the seller accepts your offer.

After that it will be applied to all further offers you make.

Sellers can set offers to be auto accepted or rejected depending on what minimum amount they enter.

Maybe that's what happened to you.

I haven't made an offer recently so can't remember if you get an offer accepted message for auto accepted offers.

Message 51 of 98
See Most Recent

Not quite sure why you would make an offer you would not wish to be
accepted. You can always make a lower offer in the first place and if that
get rejected make another.
Similar set-up with if seller makes an offer to you on an item you have
been watching, if you accept that why would you not expect to complete the
transaction. You can always decline and if the option is there, make a
counter offer.
I quite often 'haggle' in both cases.
Message 52 of 98
See Most Recent

Believe it or not some buyers make offers but don't pay when they are accepted. 

That's what automatic payments was designed to combat.

Auto payments will be coming soon on auction bids, it's already on the ebay.com site.

Message 53 of 98
See Most Recent

For auctions, think that might be more to stop sellers being able to offer
consolidated postage (how many times have you made a 'request total' for it
to progress to the next page, and only on submit does it then say that
seller does not offer that (even though I've checked with the seller first
that they do). If the able to not request, why does it not give that
message as soon as you click it, not falsely lead you think it is OK then
block)
Message 54 of 98
See Most Recent

If eBay try to impose pre payment on auction bids then that's a show stopper for me !

No way can I pick how I want to pay up front, I would need a seperate eBay account for each payment method within PayPal and whether it is for me or my business. So I guess Amazon will now get all my business.

Message 55 of 98
See Most Recent

Its a seller-set requirement but mine was checked and I certainly didn't check it myself.

Its in "Account Settings" then "Selling Preferences" (under the "Selling" heading) then "Managing Who Can Buy From You" and then at the bottom "Require buyers to provide a payment method before they make an offer."

Message 56 of 98
See Most Recent

It's a seller requirement that ebay seems to have automatically opted sellers into but you can opt out.

Go to "Account Settings" then "Selling Preferences" (under the "Selling" heading) then "Managing Who Can Buy From You" and then at the bottom "Require buyers to provide a payment method before they make an offer."

Message 57 of 98
See Most Recent

I have also just come across this feature. I am a quick payer but I will not be making any offers from now on as I refuse to link my PayPal account. We are told to do what we can to stay safe online so why link your account with the possibility of being hacked. I don't think I will be the only one and this will definitely make me look elsewhere for my purchases first in future 

Message 58 of 98
See Most Recent

@g6hni wrote:

If eBay try to impose pre payment on auction bids then that's a show stopper for me !

No way can I pick how I want to pay up front, I would need a seperate eBay account for each payment method within PayPal and whether it is for me or my business. So I guess Amazon will now get all my business.

You are meant to make business purchases through a business account. 

Message 59 of 98
See Most Recent

Not used eBay for a while did my usual offers and ask for invoice with combined postage - to my horror saw  they had all been auto paid to the same seller /company - cost me £17 extra in postage - as now they couldn't possibly refund the excess postage or send a new invoice - complete con! I too shall not be making offers of this is the only way! 

Message 60 of 98
See Most Recent
Got buying related questions? Start here: