Weekly Chat with the eBay Community Team- 22.05.24 @2pm

Hi everybody!

The Community Chat will open at 2pm and will remain open until 3pm on Wednesday. After that it will be closed for further questions. Of course, we will continue to take care of answering any questions that may still be unanswered—We’ll get to everything as quickly as possible. 

Please ask your questions in the thread below. In order to be able to answer your questions as quickly as possible, we ask you to have one question per post. Of course, you can make as many posts as you like in the Chat- the more the merrier!

Our eBay Community Team is made up of dave@ebay and marco@ebay. Between us, we have knowledge in Buying, Selling, Fulfilment, Payments, and the Community itself. Anything we aren’t sure on we’ll know the people who will be! Please ask us any questions you may have and we’ll do all we can to support. 

To ask your question, click Reply in the lower-right corner of this post, type your question, and click Reply between 2pm and 3pm. The community team will answer each incoming question in chronological order, and will quote the original question in each answer. 

Please note that any reply without a question to the community team or discussion replies may be removed from the chat. We want to keep on track to get through as many questions as possible. We welcome all discussion to be moved to the discussion boards. 

If you missed the weekly chat time, please ask your question in the community boards and tag us or we will be back next week with another chat! 

Many thanks,

Your eBay Community Team

Available via Email for Community-related inquiries:
contactcommunity@ebay.comeBay
Message 1 of 31
See Most Recent
30 REPLIES 30

Could you kindly explain the breeakdown of a partial refund to a buyer for a full postage refund? I charge £3.00 postage. This is from a prior posting which reached no conclusion, the same issue was also confirmed and shown as  what ebay shows from a Mentor.

Review refund

Total refund to buyer

£3.00

Refund summary

Refund summaryTransaction details Transaction amount
Purchase price£1.94
Postage£1.06
Fee creditsShow details-£0.38

Refund amount you owe

£2.62
How you’ll refund

Your funds
Apply: £2.62
Message 2 of 31
See Most Recent

Hi all . I ordered a item from a seller and later that day I asked the seller to cancel as item had not been despatched (which the seller did ) . But for the last couple of days I keep getting reminders ro leave feedback  which I think is a waste of time . 

Message 3 of 31
See Most Recent

Is there an ebay rule or hard limit covering the maximum time a buyer has to collect (i.e. X days from sale)? Thanks.

Message 4 of 31
See Most Recent

@a45heaven wrote:

Could you kindly explain the breeakdown of a partial refund to a buyer for a full postage refund? I charge £3.00 postage. This is from a prior posting which reached no conclusion, the same issue was also confirmed and shown as  what ebay shows from a Mentor.

Review refund

Total refund to buyer

£3.00

Refund summary

Purchase price £1.94
Postage £1.06
Fee creditsShow details -£0.38

Refund amount you owe

£2.62
How you’ll refund

Your funds

Hi @a45heaven 

Can you DM the item number and I'll have a look at the transaction to see what happened.

Thanks,

Dave

Did you find your solution? Help other members by marking your problem as solved. Simply click on "Accept as solution" for the answer that helped you.
eBay
Message 5 of 31
See Most Recent

@williabaxte7 wrote:

Hi all . I ordered a item from a seller and later that day I asked the seller to cancel as item had not been despatched (which the seller did ) . But for the last couple of days I keep getting reminders ro leave feedback  which I think is a waste of time . 

Hi williabaxte7, thanks for your message.

I appreciate where you are coming from. However, this is done in case a seller cancels an order under the wrong reason. For example, let's say a seller cancels an order saying "Buyer asked to cancel", but you didn't ask the seller to cancel the order, in that case you're free to express your experience through feedback and report the seller. 

Hope this helps,

Marco

Did you find your solution? Help other members by marking your problem as solved. Simply click on "Accept as solution" for the answer that helped you.
eBay
Message 6 of 31
See Most Recent

23-11588-31028

Two items in the order this time - as i mentioned, a Mentor had the same odd breakdown of the refund as i have seen on all occasions i refund of late.

Message 7 of 31
See Most Recent

Can you clarify the time limits for the ebay money back guarantee for collection items? Under actions and time frames, the policy says "The buyer reports that the item hasn't arrived or was not available for collection ... Latest: 30 calendar days after the estimated or actual delivery/collection date has passed" but the link only talks about delivery dates for posted items, not collection. It also says "Sellers can find the estimated delivery information that was provided to the buyer at the top of their Order details page" but for collection items there isn't a date given.

Message 8 of 31
See Most Recent

dave@ebay wrote:

@a45heaven wrote:

Review refund

Total refund to buyer

£3.00

Refund summary

Purchase price £1.94
Postage £1.06
Fee creditsShow details -£0.38

Refund amount you owe

£2.62
How you’ll refund

Your funds

Hi @a45heaven 

Can you DM the item number and I'll have a look at the transaction to see what happened.

Thanks,

Dave

dave@ebay it's the same for all transactions. Since they updated the refund flow, they've got things the wrong way round. What happens is you enter the refund amount and the system splits it pro rata between the item price and postage price. Only after doing that does it ask you to enter the reason for the refund.

It should be asking you the reason before it apportions the refund as, in many cases, it's a combined postage refund so the refund should be taken fully from the postage and not at all from the item price. But the system process is organised in the wrong order so this display error occurs every time - which will only confuse buyers when they get the notification.

Message 9 of 31
See Most Recent

The procedure for reporting businesses operating on private accounts is not working. 

I have reported three accounts all owned by the same individual for being a business as the items they sell are impossible to gain in such quantities as a private individual. I reported them nearly a year ago and nothing was done.

Recently, they added a watermark to their items with their website address on - does this not confirm they are a business?

Apparently not, because they are still on private accounts two months later.

Not only that, they have taken action on the website URL being in the image as a watermark and have replaced it with their LTD company name.

Again, does this not confirm they are a business?

Can this be looked into, it is causing significant issues with genuine businesses who have to undercut private individuals listing on final value fee offer days who are avoiding paying the proper Ebay fees.

You probably think I come on here to cause trouble and stir up the big pot, but I don't. I really care about Ebay as a platform and I care about its sellers and buyers and it is becoming increasingly frustrating that certain things appear to be going unactioned in various departments intentionally with a "theres nothing wrong here response" being given despite evidence to the contrary all over the place.

Message 10 of 31
See Most Recent

@cra2992 wrote:

Is there an ebay rule or hard limit covering the maximum time a buyer has to collect (i.e. X days from sale)? Thanks.

Hi @cra2992 

There is no timescale for the collection that is something the seller and buyer will need to work out. If it hasn't been paid for you can open an unpaid item dispute after 4 days.

Thanks,

Dave

eBay
Message 11 of 31
See Most Recent

@cra2992 wrote:

Can you clarify the time limits for the ebay money back guarantee for collection items? Under actions and time frames, the policy says "The buyer reports that the item hasn't arrived or was not available for collection ... Latest: 30 calendar days after the estimated or actual delivery/collection date has passed" but the link only talks about delivery dates for posted items, not collection. It also says "Sellers can find the estimated delivery information that was provided to the buyer at the top of their Order details page" but for collection items there isn't a date given.

Hi cra2992, thanks for your question.

So, if you pay for the item in cash, the transaction wouldn't be covered by our Money Back Guarantee. If you pay for the item using any of the approved payment methods, the 30 days would kick in when the item is marked as collected after you provide the seller with QR code or the collection code you receive.

With item not received cases, this would depend on you as a buyer and the collection date you arrange with the seller, as you are supposed to collect the item from the seller on the date you've arranged.

Thank you,

Marco

eBay
Message 12 of 31
See Most Recent

The community is flooded with messages about drop in sales suddenly from March, to April and now May. 

This is occuring in multiple niches.

The issue is confined to Ebay - many individuals, including myself, are seeing steady if not growing sales from other platforms when Ebay is in decline.

Can you please confirm if there has been some sort of algorithm update to the search function recently? 

Google provides announcements to search algorithms in the interests of transparency, it is in Ebays best interests to do the same to enable sellers to adapt to any changes made and prevent a sudden and unpredictable drop in revenue.

It is also in the best interests to announce any changes made to avoid unecessary speculation and conspiracy theories circling around online.

Message 13 of 31
See Most Recent

Thanks Dave

Message 14 of 31
See Most Recent

Thanks Marco. So to be clear, if the buyer collects (for example) 90 days after the sale, the clock would start at 90 days and run to 120 days?

Message 15 of 31
See Most Recent

@vintagewatchpart wrote:

The procedure for reporting businesses operating on private accounts is not working. 

I have reported three accounts all owned by the same individual for being a business as the items they sell are impossible to gain in such quantities as a private individual. I reported them nearly a year ago and nothing was done.

Recently, they added a watermark to their items with their website address on - does this not confirm they are a business?

Apparently not, because they are still on private accounts two months later.

Not only that, they have taken action on the website URL being in the image as a watermark and have replaced it with their LTD company name.

Again, does this not confirm they are a business?

Can this be looked into, it is causing significant issues with genuine businesses who have to undercut private individuals listing on final value fee offer days who are avoiding paying the proper Ebay fees.

You probably think I come on here to cause trouble and stir up the big pot, but I don't. I really care about Ebay as a platform and I care about its sellers and buyers and it is becoming increasingly frustrating that certain things appear to be going unactioned in various departments intentionally with a "theres nothing wrong here response" being given despite evidence to the contrary all over the place.

Hi vintagewatchpart, thanks for your message. 

We take these reports seriously, and I can guarantee you that all these reports are reviewed and actioned accordingly. Due to the nature of these actions, we are unable to share further information on what actions are taken on these accounts due to privacy and security reasons, but we do review them.

I totally understand where you are coming from, so please don't worry about feeling that you're causing trouble or anything like that, we actually appreciate when you flag these scenarios with us. Please continue to report these account if you think they are not trading in the way the should.

Thank you,

Marco

eBay
Message 16 of 31
See Most Recent

@a45heaven wrote:

23-11588-31028

Two items in the order this time - as i mentioned, a Mentor had the same odd breakdown of the refund as i have seen on all occasions i refund of late.

Thanks @a45heaven 

Looks like @rainbowtrax is on the money. I agree though, it could possibly cause confusion with how its shown. I'll send this back to the site team to review as an improvement. It might be possible to change around the order of the refund flow to help clear up any confusion it may cause. 

Thanks,

Dave 

eBay
Message 17 of 31
See Most Recent

Do ebay sellers offering free postage have more success than sellers who charge for postage

Message 18 of 31
See Most Recent

@vintagewatchpart wrote:

The community is flooded with messages about drop in sales suddenly from March, to April and now May. 

This is occuring in multiple niches.

The issue is confined to Ebay - many individuals, including myself, are seeing steady if not growing sales from other platforms when Ebay is in decline.

Can you please confirm if there has been some sort of algorithm update to the search function recently? 

Google provides announcements to search algorithms in the interests of transparency, it is in Ebays best interests to do the same to enable sellers to adapt to any changes made and prevent a sudden and unpredictable drop in revenue.

It is also in the best interests to announce any changes made to avoid unecessary speculation and conspiracy theories circling around online.

Thanks for your question, vintagewatchpart.

No, no changes have been made that would impact your sales. Think about it this way, the more you sell, the more money you and eBay earn. So, we would never introduce an update or change anything that could reduce your sales or other sellers sales.

I understand that times now could be tougher than before, but our goal as a company is to help sellers sell more, as it is beneficial for both you as a seller and us as a company. If anything, we will come up with updates/changes that help you boost your sales, like the roadshow for example, where we help sellers with listings optimization or best practices for sellers which would help you with visibility and similar things like this.

Thank you,

Marco

eBay
Message 19 of 31
See Most Recent

Thanks for that Dave - how is this going to impact the data you have forwarded to HMRC on our accounts? 

Im not sure correcting the error will be classed as an improvement, when your 'designers' make a system, dont they check it actually works?

This issue has been in your system for weeks now,  so much adverse information will need correcting.

Message 20 of 31
See Most Recent
About this Weekly Chat!

Welcome to the Weekly Chat with the eBay Community Team! Unless otherwise noted, chats occur every Wednesday from 2pm to 3pm.

Our Community Team will be in the Chats to help with the questions.

If you have multiple questions please open a post per question so we can get back to them individually. If it's something we can't answer right away we will get back to you after the chat has finished.