Answer
wgodfrey1
Community Member
Accepted Solution
I live in Australia. Do I need to pay VAT when buying from England?

I live in Australia. Do I need to pay VAT when buying from England?  If I don't have to pay VAT, how do I reclaim it if ebay.uk automatically adds VAT to purchases?

Accepted Solution
rosy_cross
Community Member
Answered
in reply to wgodfrey1

If you buy from a VAT REGISTERED seller they can zero rate your item. I think you can claim back VAT from HMRC but the process will be very slow...everything is! You will also be subject to any import duties, handling fees (from shipper) and Australian VAT which will be based upon the total amount paid plus shipping I expect...like here in UK ......so if it is an expensive item it will make a lot of difference if VAT is added.

your best bet if they are not VAT registered is to contact HMRC first to get advice.

Other Answers: 6
cackle_frodo
Community Member
Answered
in reply to wgodfrey1

Sellers don't need to be VAT registered if turnover is less than GBP 79,000 p.a.

Therefore if a VAT number isn't displayed under Business seller information at bottom of listing you won't be paying any.

cackle_frodo
Community Member
Answered
in reply to wgodfrey1

Just found a featured post in the Answer Centre in AU titled "Is UK GST payable by an Australian buyer?"

So if you find it there you'll see there's a response from someone who purchased from a VAT registered seller who refunded it.  Guess it will depend on value etc.

topcat83
Community Member
Answered
in reply to wgodfrey1

vat is included in the bid price

no idea how you reclaim it maybe you should aks that one on the  australian answer centre

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

cackle_frodo
Community Member
Answered
in reply to wgodfrey1

Sorry that's not meant to be a link - which is dud anyway!  Just copy/paste the subject. 

:-)

cackle_frodo
Community Member
Answered
in reply to wgodfrey1

Hi,

You will only pay VAT if the seller is a Business and VAT registered - it will be included in the price. 

If you look at bottom of listings under seller details, it will display their VAT number.

As to whether you will have to pay customs duties/taxes when item arrives in AU, then you'll need to check at your end.  Perhaps the Answer Centre there can advise?

wgodfrey1
Community Member
Answered
in reply to wgodfrey1

hi, thanks for your info.

i can't see a VAT number but he is 'registered as a buisness seller'