ZERO FEEDBACK

I've just had an offer from a zero feedback buyer who has made a fair offer on a high value item.  Got me thinking.

Of course we have the argument for - everyone has to start somewhere and its very feasible that a new buyer is coming to eBay searching for nice items, and the value isn't huge for my category - and against, that they is no history.

My first thought was is it strange that this zero feedback account, with absolutely no activity, was opened four and a half years ago? 

My second thought was would eBay take into consideration, should the worst happen - item not as described and something very different returned - would ebay simply side with the buyer or perhaps take into account the seller's 20 year history, lot of feedback, both buying and selling and only positive,  previous successful selling of similar items, and 0% defects accross the board?

Anyone else have thoughts?

Message 1 of 27
See Most Recent
26 REPLIES 26

ZERO FEEDBACK

Your bidder may have opened their account 4 years ago to look for,  and buy a specific item,  then did not use it again, lefta dn received no feedback,  hence the no feedback.

They may have returned for the same purpose,  to buy one item,  and found you are selling exactly what they're looking for.

Would eBay side with a 20 year old long, good standing member over someone who has used their platform perhaps only twice in 4 years should a SNAD case arise?  That's anyone's guess,  but I would say you would be dealing the stronger hand here.

Message 2 of 27
See Most Recent

ZERO FEEDBACK

If you have doubts. Refuse offer.

I personally do not like selling with ''Offers option'' as it does attack 'No History Feedback Buyers' on expensive items.

Message 3 of 27
See Most Recent

ZERO FEEDBACK

I really like the offers option, have always used it on all our accounts, and I've sold to zero feedback many times.  Not like me to query it, other half said exactly to same thing about the reason for opening the account.  Suspect though its a gut feeling, hence wanted to hear thoughts and opinions.  Thanks for replying!

Message 4 of 27
See Most Recent

ZERO FEEDBACK

When i sold i used to like the offers option as it gave me a chance to check the buyer out as you have done here.

Message 5 of 27
See Most Recent

ZERO FEEDBACK

You sound very paranoid.

The vast majority of transactions go through without a problem.

I get about 2% of transactions with problems.

In over 2000 transactions I have only ever had one thing returned that wasnt the original item.

Message 6 of 27
See Most Recent

ZERO FEEDBACK

Hi @magpiecorner1 

In the same situation, I have messaged the buyer and asked them to confirm that they would be available to sign for a special delivery. You can usually judge from the reply if they are a serious buyer. if they don't reply, then I would consider declining the offer.

I also use red and white tape printed 'contents checked and secure' for high end items and take a picture of the parcel and send it to the buyer. 

These are just additional security checks I use if I'm unsure. I hope they help.

Message 7 of 27
See Most Recent

ZERO FEEDBACK

I disagree with you completely, especially now that the person making the offer has to first provide their payment details. If you set a price below which you will not sell, there SHOULD be very few problems.

Message 8 of 27
See Most Recent

ZERO FEEDBACK

How am I paranoid, we've sold over 20,000 items, and I don't get problems.  Not even 2%.

Saying something made me think is not paranoia!   Wondering how eBay reaches conclusions when things go wrong is not paranoia.  

But thank you for taking the time to answer.

Message 9 of 27
See Most Recent

ZERO FEEDBACK

No sure why you are disagreeing, I've no concerns about non payment.

Message 10 of 27
See Most Recent

ZERO FEEDBACK

@magpiecorner1 wrote:

....My second thought was would eBay take into consideration, should the worst happen - item not as described and something very different returned - would ebay simply side with the buyer or perhaps take into account the seller's 20 year history, lot of feedback, both buying and selling and only positive,  previous successful selling of similar items, and 0% defects accross the board?...

It does happen. Though, it's usually sellers selling the same item with no problems, over and over again. You might stand a chance. 

Big might, though. 

Condragulations, you are the winner of this week's challenge!
Message 11 of 27
See Most Recent

ZERO FEEDBACK

Thought I would give you an interesting update.

Like another member of this forum who has commented that they are now subject to pre-authorisations -  I buy literally thousands of items every year, never yet been failed to pay, I am in the rather stupid situation of having to pre-authorise all payments on my buying accounts, which is especially tiresome when I the first two offers are auto declined, and yet each time the offer amount is removed from my bank account.  Not only a pain to do the extra work, but also means I often cannot take advantage of combined postage. 

Yet a buyer who has zero feedback offering on a high value item does not have this constraint - a wee bit of a kick in the face for a buyer who spent a scary amount - hundreds of thousands - in my time on ebay!  If the mods on these forums actually read posts - please take note!

Message 12 of 27
See Most Recent

ZERO FEEDBACK

I always have the same 'concern' regarding buyers with no feedback. Quite understandable, as it is a lack of information. However, I don't think I have ever had an issue with a zero feedback buyer.

Certainly, my principles mean I will always complete the sale, as you say, everyone has to start somewhere - although as a previous poster said, I will sometimes try and make contact to gauge a buyer's character - especially if they are international (due to SNAD making international returns a free for all).

Who would ebay side with? Well TRS can refund 50% anyway, whcih normally helps cover costs. Other trickery... well, who knows, it's always worth going for a goodwill gesture from ebay if you have the time and inclination.

Message 13 of 27
See Most Recent

ZERO FEEDBACK

My message wasn't in response to yours.

Message 14 of 27
See Most Recent

ZERO FEEDBACK

Very odd as I am not charged.

Message 15 of 27
See Most Recent

ZERO FEEDBACK

It's not your zero feedback buyer who "does not have this constraint".

It is my understanding that sellers need to opt in/out for immediate payment on acceptance of an offer.

Message 16 of 27
See Most Recent

ZERO FEEDBACK

I'm only charged on two accounts - but I think its all just testing at the moment - as its a pain to go out of one account into another on the app - and all my saved sellers and saved searches are on this account - I'm already not making nearly as many offers.  But eBay probably won't consider that at all.  

I suspect - from reading the stuff I apparently signed up to - that it will be including bids at auctions in the future, and presumably all buying will eventually have instant payment.  Which will be the end of combined postage.  such is life!

Message 17 of 27
See Most Recent

ZERO FEEDBACK

Pretty sure its nothing to do with the seller - except for immediate payment for BIN items.

Its been every offer, I check with a couple of my regular sellers who state hold payment for combined postage - they hadn't heard of this!

Message 18 of 27
See Most Recent

ZERO FEEDBACK

@magpiecorner1 wrote:

Pretty sure its nothing to do with the seller - except for immediate payment for BIN items.

Its been every offer, I check with a couple of my regular sellers who state hold payment for combined postage - they hadn't heard of this!

https://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Member-To-Member-Support/Buying/m-p/7474267#M151246

https://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Business-Seller-Board/MAKE-AN-OFFER-new-payment-process-heads-up/m-p...

Message 19 of 27
See Most Recent

ZERO FEEDBACK

Thanks Sheba - forgot about the 50%, never had cause to use it, would certainly cover my costs and at the end of the day that is the most important thing.   My principles are the same, though I did check with ebay and was told I was such a wonderful customer that they had my back - hmmm, form an orderly line with thoughts on that, but at least I had made the call and every little helps.  So accepted the offer and 4 days later still waiting for payment.   Looking like a cancellation, which would be the first time ever for anything except really low value items.

Message 20 of 27
See Most Recent