eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Collections
  • The Co-Operative Food
fish-slapping-dance
Community Member
Accepted Solution

Parcel Motel in Belfast............

I have a buyer who has input this as a forwarding address at checkout. 

that means they should get standard UK postage charges.

My instinct says I am not happy about this - as I am sending to a forwarding service to take my item "overseas" in a 3rd party carrier - and that I have no idea how it will be treated - or if it will arrive.

Has anyone any experience of this - I have seen people refer to this occasionally - so assume it has been discussed before - and I have missed the thread.

At present - it has hung up on the invoice stage - as the buyer is abroad - it won't let them pay till I invoice them.  I could invoice the full European postage I suppose ; I am certainly tempted to recoup the cost of RD out of it - as I don't usually use it - and feel quite annoyed that I am being asked to send something via a 3rd party without the option to block.

Any ideas?

Any problems or smooth transactions using this?

Right now there seem to be so many people in S Ireland trying to jump the free postage and claim it in all sorts of ways when not entitled to it - that I am tempted to block the whole country.

And I don't even offer free postage.

Really,  I don't have this problem with people in the rest of Europe - S Ireland is a separate country - they need to get over it  and accept that means they pay European postage.

:smileysad:

Web we want - tell the inventor of the web where you want it to go in the future...what do you love ( or otherwise) about the internet?
grandad-dave
Community Member

Re: Parcel Motel in Belfast............

in reply to fish-slapping-dance

I had to use them on one occasion last year, without a problem. You can google search Parcel Motel" which gives you more info. Cheers Dave

fish-slapping-dance
Community Member

in reply to grandad-dave

Thanks for that - it confirms my worst fears.

Web we want - tell the inventor of the web where you want it to go in the future...what do you love ( or otherwise) about the internet?
fish-slapping-dance
Community Member

The person has now purchased a second item - giving me the chance to "combine" the postage - which has combined at exactly the cost of sending it direct to Ireland.

I have asked her to give me her proper address.

See what transpires.

I wish I could think of a way of blocking the place - but I don't think you can block an address.

tall.dude
Community Member

You send to the address on the PayPal payment.

If they hadn't added Parcel Motel, but stuck to the street address you wouldn't even know where it was going.

It's NO different to sending it to someone's work address.

What's the problem?

applefrommars
Community Member

Assuming you aren't going to back out of this transaction, you'll surely have to send the items to wherever Paypal says - so might as well assume that the forwarding system will work - although RD sounds a good idea, then you won't be affected by the complications of the package not getting collected by the buyer.

Forwarding addresses aren't all that uncommon - I've sent an item to a forwarding company in London for onward transmission to Israel without any problems (despite it being perfume, which the UK-Israel courier stated they don't carry).

The problematic third party mentioned on here a while ago was specifically linked to Japan, so while you may want to avoid that one, there doesn't seem to be any way to do so (without perhaps blocking all buyers from Japan).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Beware of the Asterisk Police

greenginkgo
Community Member

The new user agreement apparently addresses forwarding issues:

Not covered

Buyer’s remorse (see the seller’s returns policy for returns options).
   Duplicate claims through other resolution methods.
  Items sent to another address after original delivery.
   Vehicles, Real Estate, Business & Websites for Sale, Digital Content, Intangible Goods, Classified Ads, Services, and some Business Equipment categories.

greenginkgo
toon1990
Community Member

What exactly is your problem with this?

Most people use this as a convenience. No need to wait for a courier or to sign for the postie, and using the NI address allows for a discount on postage. 

You'll have no problems. Nightline run this this service very well. Is it a large item?

tall.dude
Community Member

in reply to greenginkgo

Let's not get confused about this.

In terms of Buyer & Seller Protection the position has always been the same, the seller needs to prove delivery to the address supplied on the payment page.

What happens to a parcel after it reaches that destination isn't relevant.

I don't understand the OP's comments about how their parcel is going to be ''treated'' either - parcels are either packaged well enough to survive their journey or they aren't, but regardless, if you ran a ''parcel motel'' would you not take extra care with your ''guest''?

Little thing called return business....

twohelmets
Community Member

in reply to toon1990

and that I have no idea how it will be treated - or if it will arrive.

Which is really no different to any other package put in the postal system. As others have said, these forwarrding services do work, or buyers would not use them. Also, you are only responsible for the item to the forwarding. address. Once they have it, any problem is between the forwarder and the buyer. In theory at least.

harduppensioner
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to twohelmets

Hi - reading the info on the website seems to be more of a PO Box address type thing rather than a forwarder - you go and collect your parcel from the secure site using your phone number and a PIN to open your box - don't know how registered would work as who would sign for it?

applefrommars
Community Member

in reply to greenginkgo

Actually, please ignore my comment about the company forwarding to Japan - that was quite different, in that the company (owned by Ebay) were the UK buyer (with around 10 IDs, that could be blocked).  They were forwarding items they'd purchased on behalf of Japanese buyers, and then claiming SNAD after arrival in Japan.  

It looks like the change to the UA mentioned by greenginkgo may be putting a stop to that though - glad to see Ebay exerting proper control over its subsidiaries.  :smileyhappy:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Beware of the Asterisk Police

tall.dude
Community Member

in reply to harduppensioner

Parcels sent to the parcel motel are signed for in the same way as they would be if they were sent to your front door, i.e. - at the moment the postman/courier hands the item to the recipient.

harduppensioner
Community Member

in reply to tall.dude

Hi - but looking at their website the parcels are just put in locked cupboards, like a left luggage set up, and you go along with your code and pick it up when you want - nobody there just a bank of doors.

harduppensioner
Community Member

I've watched the video now and see how it works - goes to central location and they give receipts to carrier / RM - then goes out to nearest collection point.

http://www.parcelmotel.com/about.html

tall.dude
Community Member

harduppensioner wrote:

I've watched the video now and see how it works - goes to central location and they give receipts to carrier / RM - then goes out to nearest collection point.

Just a general observation, these threads would probably be a lot shorter if people waited until they'd done their research before posting to contradict someone.

postereyed
Community Member

in reply to tall.dude

Just looking at the link and parcel hotel charge 3.50 euro per 'stay' http://www.parcelmotel.com/howmuch.html 

So not realy sure as that would save them much money on postage anyway.

harduppensioner
Community Member

in reply to tall.dude

Hi - don't think i contradicted you, but sorry if i ruffled your feathers by daring to post.

sheena-b
Community Member

It's similar to Amazon's collect lockers by all accounts....they get given a unique code and the box opens up. Can't see anything wrong with them as long as tracking shows as delivered...that's the important bit! If you are out all day then it would be handy....like Collect+ pick up....most shops that have them are open until late or 24/7.

Fortune may favour the Brave...but...eBay favours the Buyer!
sopcaocon
Community Newcomer

I have used parcel motel over 80 times with no issues - Parcel motel is a well known courier company (Nightline Couriers).  They take in the post,sign and photograph it and distribute it to a secure post box for the user.

I use it if I am getting parcels - when I know I wont be at home to receive.  I can pick up the parcel 24 hours a day.  No trying to get to the central post office - during working hours to collect my parcel. 

If anything it is safer than than delivering to a person.  As that person can always say they never received it. 

With parcel motel - there is a log of what they receive - so if you have an issue you can always verify with parcelmotel.