ebay wants to verify its me but the phone number they want to txt is my old number...HELP

hi,

i have had my selling account for over 15 years and i have 100% positive feedback but today ebay wanted to verify it was me by sending a code via text to my mobile phone.  problem is, its my old phone number which i registered the account with and i just forgot to update my account with my new number.

i have items which i need to post and i have many items selling but its impossible to get into my account.  i managed to live chat to them with my other account and after giving them all my details,problem and explanation to them, they finally said, sorry, cant help you, just open a new account!!  then closed the chat.  i am disgusted with them as it took 2 hours of chat for them to give me nothing.

also, my linked email address, i have never used and cant remember it......im stuck and now getting worried , PLEASE HELP.

Message 1 of 88
See Most Recent
87 REPLIES 87

ebay wants to verify its me but the phone number they want to txt is my old number...HELP

I'm not sure if this will help, but I think it may be to do with the 2- step verification. If you go into your account settings, and check this out, it may get you into changing your phone number, and getting things sorted with your text pass numbers.
Message 81 of 88
See Most Recent

seems its all still a mess this,or a new scam..ive just recieved a text titled "ebay security numer,do not give to anyone else"..

its on an old number/2g phone that i keep as a backup.

ebay has my latest current number as well lol.

thing is ,i havent contacted ebay about anything,this ebay text with some random number in it is all ive had,i came to the discussion boards to see what sort of new scam it is..being xmas n all..

Message 82 of 88
See Most Recent

This Answer misses the point entirley

If you need to verrify it will be at the log in step & IF you dont have the number you cant log in to alter the details

Message 83 of 88
See Most Recent

It sounds like you spoke to an inexperienced agent, who was reading from a script. Try again and ask to speak to their technical people. I had this problem and it took three weeks to sort out. It's not is if it's a new problem!

Message 84 of 88
See Most Recent

Has anyone found a workaround for this yet? I've got loads of stuff I want to sell and eBay need ri send me a code to list it. EBay customer service are terrible and very unhelpful on the phone. 

Message 85 of 88
See Most Recent

Similar thing with me. Tried to verify, rejected. C.services said as due to not being a smart phone mobile

(no signal area). Yet ebay info page states can use a landline. (They can't call as they have deleted the "0"

in area code, so call a none existing number. Tried using edit & enter correctly, but just reverts to wrong

number.  If I was you, I would open a new a/c if you don't want to use Amazon market place, or Vinted etc...

When you are online with ebay again, you can add an explanation not stating to customers that ebay

fouled up your old a/c. I will only use for browsing in future, then buy direct from dealers websites, as ebay

are no longer fit for purpose (hence reports of decline in trade).

Message 86 of 88
See Most Recent

Exactly!  ebay IT dept are a right bunch of twonks,, useless.  If Paypal can ring (my landline) for me to enter

a code to verify, shown on screen to enter onto phone keys, why can't ebay grow a brain & do same!

Message 87 of 88
See Most Recent

'' 

@stmusicdude wrote:

This Answer misses the point entirley

If you need to verrify it will be at the log in step & IF you dont have the number you cant log in to alter the details

Not entirely ...You are logged into this forum ... Have you tried access to your 'My eBay' pages by clicking on your Avatar at top right of forum page to try to make necessary phone changes to your details and Submit. 

It often works ... You will be required to log in again to confirm any changes made ... worth a try !.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/selling/getting-paid/start-getting-paid-ebay?id=4795&st=12&pos=2&query=S...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/account/changing-account-settings/changing-account-settings?id=4193

Edit :- Belated, but it may help others.

Message 88 of 88
See Most Recent
Got technical related questions? Start here: