ebay wants to verify its me but the phone number they want to txt is my old number...HELP

hi,

i have had my selling account for over 15 years and i have 100% positive feedback but today ebay wanted to verify it was me by sending a code via text to my mobile phone.  problem is, its my old phone number which i registered the account with and i just forgot to update my account with my new number.

i have items which i need to post and i have many items selling but its impossible to get into my account.  i managed to live chat to them with my other account and after giving them all my details,problem and explanation to them, they finally said, sorry, cant help you, just open a new account!!  then closed the chat.  i am disgusted with them as it took 2 hours of chat for them to give me nothing.

also, my linked email address, i have never used and cant remember it......im stuck and now getting worried , PLEASE HELP.

Message 1 of 88
See Most Recent
87 REPLIES 87

ebay wants to verify its me but the phone number they want to txt is my old number...HELP

Most of this is down to poor design, taking a lazy (cheap) approach  (and yes 2FA  legislationallows for and expects multiple channels)

Message 41 of 88
See Most Recent

And if I don't have a mobile or bad reception etc

Message 42 of 88
See Most Recent

This is the solution. I have lost my phone twice and each time I used this solution.

I hope it works for you also.

Message 43 of 88
See Most Recent

Katie,

The links you have provided, do not help, and ebay is not working on this issue at all, because this issue has been the same for the last couple of years, if not more.

When i log in to my account, i am then met with 'we need to send a text to verify its you' but that is the only option given, and it cant work because the number they want to send a text to is an old number and out of use.

yet there is absolutely no way of changing my number because i cant get in to my account, and there is no customer number available to call.

it's a dead end. And needs to be rectified.

So how do i change my old number for my new one if i can not get past the above message 

There is currently no option to get into account to change a person's number - if the persons number is no longer in use.

Message 44 of 88
See Most Recent

Have you tried the app like tipo_122 said in post 26.

The app has the email verification option.

Once you are logged in you should be able to update your mobile number in settings under account info.

Message 45 of 88
See Most Recent

my goodness! thank you! your solution did work!!!

Message 46 of 88
See Most Recent

If you have decent WiFi coverage - then simply enable "WiFi Calling" feature on your smart phone - this way your phone network provider signal will be replicated by your WiFi router. This works in places with Zero reception (like basements, countryside, etc.)

Message 47 of 88
See Most Recent

A few months ago I discovered on getting a new mobile firm (not smartphone, just one you ring and text) that banks and credit card firms tend to reject/block an online transaction if the phone number you've registered with the online shop doesn't match the one you've registered with the bank or credit card. That applies even if you the card firm knows you regularly use that online shop plus you have input all your card details including the 3-digit CVC. The problem is that you need to update the bank/credit card firm FIRST with your new phone number, as you can't physically change the number on a website shop at the same time so that has to be done SECOND. Then the online shop (my point being that this would be, say, eBay) will require a passcode they send to the OLD phone and you must keep the old phone up and running to allow for it. So don't part-exchange your old phone! (i.e. keep the sim in a working phone). Banks etc are (notoriously? or understandably?) shy about their security measures, but I'd've thought it only sensible for them to advertise that you need to record the same phone number on websites as for your bank/credit card.

Also, slightly less relevantly, if you've just updated any personal info with your card firm, even just your phone number!, the card firm puts some kind of automatic watch on your card transactions for a few days (I reckoned about 10 days), because I then found, even having successfully updated and matched up my new number on my regular online shops, that some transactions were being blocked/rejected. I encountered the problem on a large shopping site, let's call that site A, and almost every page I surfed a conspicuous error message would come up, paraphrasing "problem with your payment, click here to verify", kept clicking, kept coming up, made surfing a nightmare, contacted A, A said the issue was at the bank end; I don't know how eBay would notify the problem. The card firm told me that if a lot of transactions are made in a day then transactions will be blocked/rejected. I surmised, and they agreed, the solution is to add items to the Basket then buy so that they form one transaction. Annoyingly the card firm wouldn't tell me what the daily transaction quantity limit was, despite me asking.

Message 48 of 88
See Most Recent

Indeed! It's a larger problem than eBay like to think. If you live rurally and/or remotely in Britain, signal coverage is likely to be poor or non-existent. I know someone who lives in London who gets only a dodgy signal and only if they stand in a certain room by the window.

Message 49 of 88
See Most Recent

@insidethe93 wrote:

Indeed! It's a larger problem than eBay like to think. If you live rurally and/or remotely in Britain, signal coverage is likely to be poor or non-existent. I know someone who lives in London who gets only a dodgy signal and only if they stand in a certain room by the window.

Signals can also be impacted by weather conditions.

Have lost calls due to lack of signal of an afternoon occasionally - signals are fine in the morning and great if I go call people from top of my stairs. In my home office the signal from the 4G mast can be OK to poor to non existant.

Ring people and phone is silent for 10 seconds then immediately voicemail. Without the phone ringing - have tried it by ringing work mobile using personal mobile. 

Not what is wanted in a busy job.

Choice is change phones (likely be a couple of years) to a 5G or move house to a much better covered area.

The whole moon and the entire sky are reflected in one dewdrop on the grass.
Dogen
Message 50 of 88
See Most Recent

The person I mentioned is trying to move house! They say it's to be nearer their children but maybe it's just to get a better signal 🙂

Message 51 of 88
See Most Recent

Katie... You're an idiot and shouldn't be working in IT customer service . If you think for one minute people should change their number in their ebay settings then you are from the planet zog. How do you expect that when they can't even log into their account. Giving us a link to a webage that expalins how to change our details id stupid. This has been a stupid error from ebay since the beginning of the year and they still bloody fixed it. Maybe employing humans instead of monkeys may help. 

Message 52 of 88
See Most Recent

EDIT.... Because ebay won't allow us to edit our previous comment. Ebay getting worse!.. You're an idiot and shouldn't be working in IT customer service . If you think for one minute people should change their number in their ebay settings then you are from the planet zog. How do you expect that when they can't even log into their account. Giving us a link to a webage that expalins how to change our details is stupid. This has been a stupid error at ebay since the beginning of the year and they still haven't fixed it. Maybe employing humans instead of monkeys may help. It's so annoying when people come on these problems and give their oppinions when they haven't bothered reading what people are saying. Katie listen................. WE CAN'T LOG IN!! WE DON'T OWN THAT OLD NUMBER ANYMORE. grrrr so frustating!!

Message 53 of 88
See Most Recent

this is a real issue 

im already trying for weeks to gain access and no help at all

Message 54 of 88
See Most Recent

No it doesn't works for me. I download the app and I try to log-in but I still get the "verification sms" request. So as I can't receive any "verification sms" I'm totaly unable to log-in
I don't know if this works if you had already install the app BEFOR the problem beguin. But I try to install the app for first time and it doesn't work. I can't log-in at all. Still waiting for "verification sms"

Message 55 of 88
See Most Recent

Hi,

I had the same problem, and solved by downloading the eBay app on my cellphone, loggin in with username/e-mail and password, then I had access to my profile info and managed to update my phone number.

Message 56 of 88
See Most Recent

Hi.

This happened to me. you have to open ebay in microsft edge or ant other browser then edit your phone number. then go back to firefox and it should send text to right number. hope this helps

Message 57 of 88
See Most Recent

Cant log into my account. Phone is broken. People buying stuff i cant send. ebay help NOW

Message 58 of 88
See Most Recent

Goo to eBay help pages for "help with hacked account" and request a call
back, and direct the rep that they need to change the phone number

They can't do it immediately, but they can submit a request which gets
processed within 1-2 days

Many don't know this process but I've done it successfully, keep pushing to
u get a rep that does it
(Better chance of success by getting a rep thru the hacked account pages,
at that gets u a rep from the security department)
Message 59 of 88
See Most Recent

Just had 2.5 hours of this problem and now SOLVED. you have to login via the app, the app will ask to verify via your mobile number you have access to (really helpful eBay dickheads) OR email. So verify via email (I opened email on a different device to not lose the page currently on) then trawl back to update details. It then asks you to log in again but skips the verify!!! Then you are logged in (again via app only) and can simply change your mobile number. You're welcome everyone 🥴

Message 60 of 88
See Most Recent
Got technical related questions? Start here: