ebay wants to verify its me but the phone number they want to txt is my old number...HELP

hi,

i have had my selling account for over 15 years and i have 100% positive feedback but today ebay wanted to verify it was me by sending a code via text to my mobile phone.  problem is, its my old phone number which i registered the account with and i just forgot to update my account with my new number.

i have items which i need to post and i have many items selling but its impossible to get into my account.  i managed to live chat to them with my other account and after giving them all my details,problem and explanation to them, they finally said, sorry, cant help you, just open a new account!!  then closed the chat.  i am disgusted with them as it took 2 hours of chat for them to give me nothing.

also, my linked email address, i have never used and cant remember it......im stuck and now getting worried , PLEASE HELP.

Message 1 of 88
See Most Recent
87 REPLIES 87

ebay wants to verify its me but the phone number they want to txt is my old number...HELP

Try checking email addresse/s and resetting Telephone # here ... 

Using a PC/Laptop goto > My eBay > Account > Personal information > Addresses > 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/account/changing-account-settings/changing-account-settings?

Message 2 of 88
See Most Recent

hi , thank you for taking you time to read and reply.....but i cannot access anything.  as soon as i fill out my login page with password , the next page which appears says "verify your contact info"  - only thing is, the contact info is my old phone number so ebay will then send me a code via text which obviously goes to the number...i should have updated with my new phone number but when on ebay selling or buying, updating info goes out the window. 

the verify page looks like this:

summertimespecials_0-1654749161846.png

Message 3 of 88
See Most Recent

this is the page which appears:

summertimespecials_0-1654749426380.png

Message 4 of 88
See Most Recent

I updated my phone numbers about a week ago when I realised my landline can't accept text messages, but I was prompted for verification by email, and had to enter a security code, before changing the number and then verifying.

Doesn't make any sense for eBay just to request verification by phone only. If you lose your phone, or it's stolen, or you change number, what provisions are there?

Are you still able to access your account, and have you tried going to your account information and updated the phone number from there? Not sure it would make any difference.

If that doesn't work, I think you'll have to find a way to contact eBay, to see if someone can run through account security and then allow you to change your number. I suspect eBay has not anticipated the amount of problems they've created here. Good luck.

Message 5 of 88
See Most Recent

I have got the same issue. My old number was changed and i forgot to update it. Ebay told me that they are having technical issues regarding. There is no option to login via email. Just waiting for update. What I been told is many users having this issues at the moment.

Message 6 of 88
See Most Recent

katie@ebay
Employee (Retired)

Hi all,

Thank you for your patience as we work through this. 

If your old phone number is still attached to the account the first option would be to reach out to our customer support teams via the help pages. They will be able to verify you over the phone and assist with changing the number.

Due to the volume of calls the team are getting there may be some delays with this. The team is working to make email verification available to those it can. You may start to see this option for website users.

If the number you should be receiving the message to is correct please make sure you are in an area with good signal and restart the device.

If you have not yet been added to the new verification please make sure to update your phone number.

Thanks,

Katie 

Did you find your solution? Help other members by marking your problem as solved. Simply click on "Accept as solution" for the answer that helped you.
eBay
Message 7 of 88
See Most Recent

Hi Katie,

I haven't needed to use phone support in some time, but I believe it's mostly done by call back these days? With my landline it wasn't an issue, but it doesn't accept SMS, so now I've been forced to enter a mobile number I have a problem because I have very little reception where I live - I can't take calls, or if I can it might be for a few seconds before it cuts off. It's just enough that I can run about to receive an SMS to a mobile phone, but not enough to take or make a call.

Can eBay not allow the provision of a mobile and home number? One phone for SMS verification, the other as an optional means in which to receive or make calls to eBay?

As to those who are currently stuck with an old number, how can eBay call them back? It seems like they'd be stuck in a catch-22 situation?

Message 8 of 88
See Most Recent

Join the club! I have exactly the same problem. After several fruitless chat sessions in which I had to patiently explain several times that I cannot enter the passcode sent to my long-lost phone to update my details myself, I finally managed to talk to an eBay agent today and they promised to get my mobile number changed to one that actually exists, albeit within 48 hours!  Fingers crossed, because I currently have several items people have made offers on or have bought that I am powerless to deal  with.

It's absolutely disgusting that an eBay agent basically gave you the cold shoulder. In my experience it comes down to sheer luck that you get an agent that understands your problem and is willing to sort it out.

Message 9 of 88
See Most Recent

You have to be able to log on to your account to do that!

Message 10 of 88
See Most Recent

I suspect eBay has not anticipated the amount of problems they've created here

That's an understatement! What galls me is the lack of notice that they were introducing the new layer of security. I actually received an e-mail informing me of the change AFTER they had introduced it!

Message 11 of 88
See Most Recent

Hi Katie, It would help greatly if your agents were updated on this issue. In each of three chat sessions the agents had to pass me onto someone else and eventually I found someone who understood the problem, but could only pass the request to update my mobile number to your technical team. Incidentally, the e-mail verification option isn't working -  the agent informed me this was because it was a security hole exploited by fraudsters hacking into eBay customers' e-mail accounts.

Message 12 of 88
See Most Recent

'' You have to be able to log on to your account to do that!''

You are currently signed into the Community ... try clicking on your > View listings   

link and goto your My eBay link at top right of the opened selling page ...you should still be signed in and be able to access the eBay Account menu from there ?.

Message 13 of 88
See Most Recent

i am trying to contact ebay by phone with no luck.  Do you have a phone number.

Message 14 of 88
See Most Recent

No. You'll have to set up a new account and contact an eBay agent using chat or call-back.

Message 15 of 88
See Most Recent

Many people stuck with this poblem.

including myself.

my mobile number has changed. so now I cant access my account to update it as I canot pass the verificaiton screen.

Absolute trash design... you make it so users cant help themselves.

we also cant use live chat as you need an account logged in for that.

Message 17 of 88
See Most Recent

Most eBay agents seem unaware of the problem and eventally pass you onto their technical team. You'll need to create a temporary account to contact them first, which confuses the heck out of them.

Message 18 of 88
See Most Recent

Exactly the same problem. I have not had the phone number they are sending the code to for years! SMS based 2FA is not secure and should never be allowed to be the sole form of verification.

Message 19 of 88
See Most Recent

People are using temporary accounts to inform you off the issue, your solution is of no help. Please remove the text based 2FA for people who didn't ask for it.

Message 20 of 88
See Most Recent
Got technical related questions? Start here: