Weekly Chat with the eBay Community Team- 10.04.24 @2pm

Hi everybody!

The Community Chat will open at 2pm and will remain open until 3pm on Wednesday. After that it will be closed for further questions. Of course, we will continue to take care of answering any questions that may still be unanswered—We’ll get to everything as quickly as possible. 

Please ask your questions in the thread below. In order to be able to answer your questions as quickly as possible, we ask you to have one question per post. Of course, you can make as many posts as you like in the Chat- the more the merrier!

Our eBay Community Team is made up of dave@ebay and anita@ebay. Between us, we have knowledge in Buying, Selling, Fulfilment, Payments, and the Community itself. Anything we aren’t sure on we’ll know the people who will be! Please ask us any questions you may have and we’ll do all we can to support. 

To ask your question, click Reply in the lower-right corner of this post, type your question, and click Reply between 2pm and 3pm. The community team will answer each incoming question in chronological order, and will quote the original question in each answer. 

Please note that any reply without a question to the community team or discussion replies may be removed from the chat. We want to keep on track to get through as many questions as possible. We welcome all discussion to be moved to the discussion boards. 

If you missed the weekly chat time, please ask your question in the community boards and tag us or we will be back next week with another chat! 

Many thanks,

Your eBay Community Team

Available via Email for Community-related inquiries:
contactcommunity@ebay.comeBay
Message 1 of 48
See Most Recent
47 REPLIES 47

Hi

It was a shock that the clothing category overnight was made fee free for private sellers. I don't object to the real private sellers getting this offer but it is going to be difficult to compete with unregistered businesses that buy stock from the same sources and don't have to worry about factoring in the cost of returns, shop fees, selling fees etc. Are there any plans to help registered businesses in this sector?

Message 2 of 48
See Most Recent

Many of us who sell in the clothing category have suffered for years because of unregistered business sellers, who typically refuse returns, and whose listings are endorsed by eBay “Registered as a private seller.  Thereby, consumer rights stemming from EU consumer protection law do not apply.”  This endorsement is of course untrue, because consumer rights don’t hinge on whether the seller is REGISTERED as a business, but on whether they ARE in fact selling for profit or trade.

Now that eBay have decided that private sellers don’t have to pay fees at all, it is noticeable that the clothing category is chock-full of unregistered business sellers.

For example, one “private seller” whose listings include over 300 brand-new men’s suits, in all sizes (some of them identical suits in 30 or 40 different sizes).   Even his username makes it clear that he is trading.

Maybe eBay regards this as “saving the planet” by encouraging sellers to sell off their private collection of unwanted gifts.   But most legitimate businesses regard it as eBay flagrantly encouraging law-breaking businesses to deprive consumers of their rights.

We can cope with “no fees, no returns, for private sellers”, but why are you offering these “no fees, no returns” permanently” deals to businesses that are trading illegally?  It’s downright insulting to those of us who obey the law, pay our taxes, observe consumer rights and pay you a huge proportion of our takings in fees.

Cesario, the Count's gentleman
Message 3 of 48
See Most Recent

Is there going to be anything to support clothing business sellers after reading it will be free for private sellers to list and sell? The overheads for legitamate business sellers is significant and this feels like a huge blow for those appropriately registered as business sellers.

Message 4 of 48
See Most Recent

How long does it take for sales to return after holiday settings are removed? I went away but removed my holiday settings on return and haven't received a single sale.

Message 5 of 48
See Most Recent

@2007dcase wrote:

Hi

It was a shock that the clothing category overnight was made fee free for private sellers. I don't object to the real private sellers getting this offer but it is going to be difficult to compete with unregistered businesses that buy stock from the same sources and don't have to worry about factoring in the cost of returns, shop fees, selling fees etc. Are there any plans to help registered businesses in this sector?

Hi @2007dcase, thanks for your post.

We appreciate your feedback. We hope this change will bring even more sellers who also buy onto the platform bringing more growth opportunities to our business sellers.

Business sellers do remain as a high priority for us and we continue to make great investments in this area too. We’ll be sharing more about how we’re supporting our business community at our upcoming Roadshows.

Thanks,

Anita

Did you find your solution? Help other members by marking your problem as solved. Simply click on "Accept as solution" for the answer that helped you.
Message 6 of 48
See Most Recent

Hi Dave & Anita,

There has been conflicting advice whether joint current bank accounts are acceptable or not for recieving private sellers payouts on ebay.

Trying to add a joint account been quoted as the reason a private sellers bank account can't pass verification.

The seller in this thread thinks being unable to verify their bank account must have been linked to it being a joint account. 

However my linked bank account is a joint one and was verified ok by Trustly.
But that was when managed payments first came in.
Has something changed since then? 

EBay bank verification info only states that the first and last names should match on eBay and the bank account.
It doesn't say the bank account has to be in the private sellers sole name only.

Can you clarify this please.

This is a screenshot of what eBay says. 
Please don't just cut and paste it as the reply because it won't answer the question.
Screenshot_2024-04-09-14-08-36-773~2.jpeg

Message 7 of 48
See Most Recent

I wondered why we have been experiencing a significant amount of spam emails. On checking our eBay listings, our company email address is in plain text under  "Business Seller Information" https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/266679203648

So, this will be an easy scrape for any email spammers.

If you have to show our email address, can you put the email in a photo instead to deter spammers? I did this on our website 20 years ago and it does the trick.

Message 8 of 48
See Most Recent

Can you confirm what categories will be included for private seller free clothing offer? Ie will it include shoes, accessories or purely clothing? Does it include clothing listing under sporting or baby categories for example or just that in the main clothing category? 

Message 9 of 48
See Most Recent

Will ebay ever have something in place where the buyer can just download a VAT receipt for their books directly from their order history?
It would make things easier for both the buyer and seller.

Amazon have had it for years now.

Message 10 of 48
See Most Recent

Hi Anita I think it will encourage even more unregistered businesses. Is there any plan to offer incentives to registered businesses or to take any action about blatant businesses, eg those that have mutilple quantities and variations of new clothing?

Message 11 of 48
See Most Recent

@keelinge wrote:

Is there going to be anything to support clothing business sellers after reading it will be free for private sellers to list and sell? The overheads for legitamate business sellers is significant and this feels like a huge blow for those appropriately registered as business sellers.

HI @keelinge, thanks for your post.

Currently it is for private sellers and pre-owned fashion only. While we do not have any information about the fee change for sellers in this area for now, business sellers remain a high priority, and as mentioned before we’ll be sharing more about how we’re supporting our business sellers at our upcoming Roadshows.

Thanks,

Anita

Did you find your solution? Help other members by marking your problem as solved. Simply click on "Accept as solution" for the answer that helped you.
Message 12 of 48
See Most Recent

@bravergrace wrote:

Many of us who sell in the clothing category have suffered for years because of unregistered business sellers, who typically refuse returns, and whose listings are endorsed by eBay “Registered as a private seller.  Thereby, consumer rights stemming from EU consumer protection law do not apply.”  This endorsement is of course untrue, because consumer rights don’t hinge on whether the seller is REGISTERED as a business, but on whether they ARE in fact selling for profit or trade.

Now that eBay have decided that private sellers don’t have to pay fees at all, it is noticeable that the clothing category is chock-full of unregistered business sellers.

For example, one “private seller” whose listings include over 300 brand-new men’s suits, in all sizes (some of them identical suits in 30 or 40 different sizes).   Even his username makes it clear that he is trading.

Maybe eBay regards this as “saving the planet” by encouraging sellers to sell off their private collection of unwanted gifts.   But most legitimate businesses regard it as eBay flagrantly encouraging law-breaking businesses to deprive consumers of their rights.

We can cope with “no fees, no returns, for private sellers”, but why are you offering these “no fees, no returns” permanently” deals to businesses that are trading illegally?  It’s downright insulting to those of us who obey the law, pay our taxes, observe consumer rights and pay you a huge proportion of our takings in fees.

Hi @bravergrace 

I absolutely understand your frustration with this. Its something that we are very aware of lately especially with this recent announcement. We are working with HMRC to identify any sellers that are trading illegally and will take appropriate action one we have identified them . 

We continue to review reports that we are receiving through the site and there are a number of tools we have on site to identify  these sellers. 

Thanks,

Dave

Message 13 of 48
See Most Recent

Now that I have reached the end of my financial year, what report do you suggest running in order to obtain the VAT figure that eBay collected on my behalf via the IOSS system please?

Message 14 of 48
See Most Recent

Please can you also clarify what what pre-owned fashion means?

The blurb says: Pre-owned clothes are items you no longer want or need in a variety of conditions, for example an outfit that no longer fits, an unwanted gift, or vintage fashion that needs a new home. These items can be new or used.

So new with tags too?

Message 15 of 48
See Most Recent

@petstation1989 wrote:

Will ebay ever have something in place where the buyer can just download a VAT receipt for their books directly from their order history?
It would make things easier for both the buyer and seller.

Amazon have had it for years now.

Hi @petstation1989 

We are currently working on some updates in this space. I haven't seen a roadmap of what is coming yet but I will send this suggestion to the site team as a possible improvement.

Thanks,

Dave

Message 16 of 48
See Most Recent

Is there ever going to be any incentives for business sellers?

I have closed my shop down and removed my listings, I do not see the point of paying for a shop or paying to list if then the only chance I have of getting any sales is to pay to promote on top whilst you allow business sellers to use private accounts and give them 1000 free listings!!

You say business sellers remain a high priorty but I am really unsure exactly what eBAY does for business sellers?

Message 17 of 48
See Most Recent

@keelinge wrote:

How long does it take for sales to return after holiday settings are removed? I went away but removed my holiday settings on return and haven't received a single sale.

Hi @keelinge, thanks for your post.

The change is instant. Have you possibly also Paused itmes for sale? Here is more info.

Thaks,

Anita

Message 18 of 48
See Most Recent

Is there a way to bulk add tracking numbers, without having to open every single item one at a time? 

I have been using the sellers hub 'manage orders awaing dispatch page' and selecting a batch from here in the past, but that  link just goes to an error page now.

It really annoying if the same person has bought a number of items which are sent in the same parcel

---
Experience is something we gain, just after we needed it
Message 19 of 48
See Most Recent

No, definitely not, I even allowed sales whilst away.

Message 20 of 48
See Most Recent
About this Weekly Chat!

Welcome to the Weekly Chat with the eBay Community Team! Unless otherwise noted, chats occur every Wednesday from 2pm to 3pm.

Our Community Team will be in the Chats to help with the questions.

If you have multiple questions please open a post per question so we can get back to them individually. If it's something we can't answer right away we will get back to you after the chat has finished.