ebay wants to verify its me but the phone number they want to txt is my old number...HELP

hi,

i have had my selling account for over 15 years and i have 100% positive feedback but today ebay wanted to verify it was me by sending a code via text to my mobile phone.  problem is, its my old phone number which i registered the account with and i just forgot to update my account with my new number.

i have items which i need to post and i have many items selling but its impossible to get into my account.  i managed to live chat to them with my other account and after giving them all my details,problem and explanation to them, they finally said, sorry, cant help you, just open a new account!!  then closed the chat.  i am disgusted with them as it took 2 hours of chat for them to give me nothing.

also, my linked email address, i have never used and cant remember it......im stuck and now getting worried , PLEASE HELP.

Message 1 of 88
See Most Recent
87 REPLIES 87

ebay wants to verify its me but the phone number they want to txt is my old number...HELP

It doesn't work. You use the word cellphone so I guess you're not from the UK.

Message 61 of 88
See Most Recent

That's very silly advice, you obviously didn't read the question!!!

Message 62 of 88
See Most Recent

Please I need a help  I changed my phone number last month and  now I can't log in to my eBay account Please I need a help

Message 63 of 88
See Most Recent

Hi Katie

The verification method via text to mobile is useless if one lives in an area with poor reception such as myself. Is there a way to verify via email?

Message 64 of 88
See Most Recent

Agree entirely. In my experience SMS based 2FA is not as secure as we are led to believe. Yet many institutions such as banks are depending on this method. Scammers and fraudsters have cottoned onto the idea that if they manage to hack into mobile phone account,they are able to inform your carrier that "you" wish to port your number out. The first you will know is a text message from your provider "Sorry to hear that you leaving us. Here is your PAC code" Then your phone line will go dead. Meanwhile the fraudster is using your number to verify accounts. Good luck with trying to prevent this happening; once the number is ported out (and it's almost immediate) it's gone for good!

Message 65 of 88
See Most Recent

Hello,

After many tries on the ebay contact number, I finally got to speak with a human being. 

When asked what is the issue by the robot assistant, please respond hacked account, after this the asistant will give some information and casually slip in there speak with a team member, just say team member, to get through an actual person. 

It took 24 hours and my number was changed on my account.

I hope this helps!

Vlad

Message 66 of 88
See Most Recent

This is the best solution here above all else. I actually managed to get through with a team member right away, and they disabled the 2FA so I was able to log into my account and change the phone number immediately. It took less than 10 minutes to do, however, they very likely will ask you security questions to verify who you are. I am now back in my account!

Thank you so much, it took me 3 hours to finally find this solution.

Message 67 of 88
See Most Recent

I have had the EXACT PROBLEM but I just got it solved!!!! I went on to the online chat and spoke to an agent trough no account at all. And he was able to change my number and verify me through all the details that I had on my ebay account. It took 15 minutes. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/contact_us?id=4797&st=10

this was the link i used

Message 68 of 88
See Most Recent

There is no such thing as customer support on ebay, unless you are already logged in.

This is proof of terrible support as you are not helpful at all, I am a seller with 100% on hundreds of items, and I cant access my account for over a year now, and there is not help at all. 

The only solution I can give to other users is to stop using ebay altogether and move on to amazon and other websites with better support.

Message 69 of 88
See Most Recent

Just to let everyone know.

I had this exact same issue. So i logged into ebay from a different account ( use family/friends or create another) and then opted for a chat with a representative.

and by providing:

- user id, registered email, first and last name and old number ( dont worry if you cannot remember it) the representative sorted it all out within 5 mins

Message 70 of 88
See Most Recent

February 2023, I have problems every few months verification by landline .captcha does not function phone does not receive verification takes ebay a couple of days to fix whatever is happeneing.I do not use mobile phone,my wife does same PC using mobile does not have this problem. Others I know have similar probelms with Paypal ,which I gave up using. Landline must be more secure than mobile phone use,I will not have one,just have to put up with this I guess

Message 71 of 88
See Most Recent

Did you ever sort it? I've been trying to get back into myaccount for the same reason talking to eBay is useless.I had my account for years with 100s of positive feedback now I've opened a new account with 1 positive feedback and a seller deleted my bid on a watch because of my low feedback and gave his reason as he thought I'm a scammer ,I was cheesed off!

Message 72 of 88
See Most Recent

No luck. EBay doesn’t help.
I just don’t sell anymore on eBay. I buy and sell mostly now on Facebook classifieds.
I buy some stuff on eBay like cds. But I’m still at 4 stars. So there’s definitely no buying anything more expensive than 5 dollars for now. A Shame as I had hundreds of stars at 100%
Message 73 of 88
See Most Recent

It’s madness really.I built up positive feedback selling vintage omega
watches and also buying watches,now I cannot buy or sell anything because
my bids get cancelled and the annoying thing is the sellers wait to almost
the end of the auction to delete my bids .to be honest ebay is so high risk
now I might just not bother anymore.
Take care.
Message 74 of 88
See Most Recent

I fell into the eBay comms rabbit hole trying to get back into my account. Logging into the app didn't offer the email verification option. Tried calling the UK customer services number but didn't get far and couldn't speak to anyone as I didn't have the old phone number any more. Using an order ID from something I'd bought recently didn't work either - I tried!

I set up a new account and on the 'Contact Us' live chat bot asked to speak to an eBay agent. Someone from eBay called me back, I explained the situation and was back into my old account 😊. I had to reset my password and after that, I got the email verification option so could get back in to my account.  I also updated my mobile number 😆. The eBay agent was very helpful - credit where credit's due.  Good luck in getting back into your accounts!

Message 75 of 88
See Most Recent

Hi,
It’s hit and miss with the call centre ,I’ve spoken twice with no luck ,so
I’m resigned to a new account with just 1 positive review ,I even had a bid
cancelled at the end of an auction by a seller that thought I was a scammer
funny thing being he didn’t mind me upping the bidding on his watch
unfortunately for him it sold £50 pounds less than my top bid.
Message 76 of 88
See Most Recent

I know this is an old posting, but I have just solved the problem for myself. You have to go into your account and set up two step security so that the codes can be sent.

Message 77 of 88
See Most Recent

Thanks for the tip vlachelmu, that worked.

However, the ebay rep got me into my account by going thru the 'forgot password' route and changing my password (even tho it was not the issue).

It got me into ebay without the text verification.

Message 78 of 88
See Most Recent

Thank you-I'll try that now.

Message 79 of 88
See Most Recent

i have been trying to update my phone number for over TWO years and have spoken to many advisors / supervisors but still nothing  I cannot sell anything as my account is not linked to a phone number which is needed to verify account . i have been going round in circles with this all this time  i have wasted so much time its rediculous.

Message 80 of 88
See Most Recent
Got technical related questions? Start here: