Payment holds- experienced seller

I have been an Ebay buyer seller since 2000, I have 100% positive feedback and never had any issues with any sales. Now I am dismayed to see that the selling rules have changed. I recently sold an item for £60.00, the buyer has paid for it, but payment is on hold until it arrives. This is ripe for fraud in my view, and I don`t agree with this system. I won`t get my money for around 14 days, but the buyer should get the item in a few days.

what happened to the old system? It worked fine, your buyer paid you using paypal, got your money straight away, and post the item--I never had a problem with this, it worked 100% fine, no need to fix it.

I started selling again approx 3 months ago, I lost my wife in an accident 2 years ago and I am selling a few items to get money for a headstone.Grave just has a wooden cross on it for now.

I can`t be waiting for payments to come through. This is a stupid system, you don`t go to a shop, take something, and tell the shop keeper, sure I`ll pay in 30days.

I am just a private seller, clearing out a few odds and ends as ebay used to be, before the shops and dealers came along.

Is there anyway to opt out of this daft payment system and go back to how it used to be, ie Buyer pays, seller posts item, everybody happy.

If not I am not going to sell on Ebay anymore, it makes no sense to me, I can understand it to some degree if it`s just a person with a brand new account and no history, I have over 1400 completed transactions and feedback score of 1400+, I have had a few problems with sellers selling poor quality items, but as a seller my self there has been no issues ever.

As for ebay customer service online, you just go around in circles and can`t get anywhere-useless, completely useless, and always was. They try to force you to ring them out of frustration, and you get bounced around their phone system if you are lucky enough to get through.

Yes, I am fed up. Thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions.

Message 1 of 5
See Most Recent
4 REPLIES 4

Hi

A lot has changed since you last sold on the site.

The problem is that because you took a break from selling Ebay will treat you like a new member and put a temporary hold on your funds 😞   Often its around 28 days.

Your funds no longer go straight into Paypal ....they will go into your designated bank account.

Make sure that you have signed up to Managed Payments properly.

Nope you cannot opt out.   The hold on funds should be temporary and lifted after you have sold a few items hopefully.

Message 2 of 5
See Most Recent

I started selling on this account in June 03.

Back then it was pretty much as it is now and that was with Paypal.

You didn't get immediate payments and once you requested a transfer to your bank it would take around 5 working days.Many buyers paid by Chq or Postal Order.

Remember "E - cheques" ???.

There were a lot less extra's available and you paid a listing fee for every listing.The fee was based on the start price.Pictures were charged extra for !!!.

Never heard a mention of "chargebacks" ,"MBG" or "returns" though.

Ooooh ,the good old days 🙃

Message 3 of 5
See Most Recent

Hello, thanks for your reply and advice. The thing is I already have sold 4 or 5 items recently and all payments for those were in my account within 48 hrs, which although is not ideal, it`s not too bad.

My concern is the item I am waiting payment to clear for is £60+ and a new buyer with just 1 feedback score.

When I was selling semi regulary I didn`t post anything until Payapl payment had cleared, and with most it was withing  a few hours.

There is far too much automation in Ebay now, you can`t get to speak to a person, and I am not happy at all that buyers get the item before I  as a seller get paid for it.

In my world that is back to front, it should be buyer pays, payment clears, seller sends item.

Looking at other messages on here, scams and other dirty tricks are worse than ever, so I have decided to let my current listings run until this weekend, and then I won`t be selling here anymore.

As I mentioned earlier the site is too automated and the payment system is really badly flawed, also the fees involved now are very high, and the international postal scheme is very expensive and slow.

To my mind Ebay have shot themselves in the foot, and I note the amount of suspect items for sale has increased, does nobody check listings anymore ? Just recently I came across sellers making keyrings, pint glasses and various other items, all with the names of major music artists on them, and clearly these things are home made.

Ebay seems unconcerned about copyright, I reported the various sellers, and Ebay came back and said there was no issue. Well some of the bands in question were Pink Floyd, The Eagles, Led Zeppelin,Queen etc, all notorious for being very strict on copyright, see youtube for example.

Not sour grapes on my part, I fail to see why anyone would want to sell items under Ebay`s new system, it make no sense at all, and further more, what do you have to do to get to speak to a person in Ebay`s customer service ? 

So endeth the lesson, Rant Over.

PMCA

Message 4 of 5
See Most Recent

Those e cheques were a pain and often bounced.   Glad they did away with them at least.

Message 5 of 5
See Most Recent
Got selling tools related questions? Start here: