Private postage request from an untrustworthy buyer

Back in 2020 I sold some items to a buyer in the US. Upon receiving them they then requested a refund & return due to alleged small defects in the paint job, even though these were mostly visible in the photos or mentioned in the description. I fought the case but eBay sided with the buyer.

I issued a refund, however, the postal services eBay wanted me to use were going to cost more than the value of the items. So, I contacted the buyer asking if they could quote me a lower price from a local post office. They agreed to look into it and then never contacted me again. I had no recourse to hold the buyer liable for fraud at this point, as I did not go through eBay's official channels for getting the items posted back.

Fast forward to 2024 and the buyer has contacted me out of the blue asking if I still want my stuff back, and is asking for money up front to post them to me. How do I even respond to this? I am genuinely at a loss - first they request a refund on dubious grounds & keep the items anyway, now years later they are asking for more money. Even if I were prepared to go along with this, I assume the money for postage would have to go directly via PayPal, due to the length of time that has passed.

What would you do?

Message 1 of 6
See Most Recent
5 REPLIES 5

I would move on. It's been 4 years and they have not taken any action so what is to say they will if you send them money for postage. Cut your losses (I'm sure you already have) as they don't sound very reliable.

Message 2 of 6
See Most Recent

I would ignore it, been 4 years so they are likely just trying it on

Message 3 of 6
See Most Recent

Also, if you haven't already done so, block them.

Message 4 of 6
See Most Recent

A friend sent money for an international return from a buyer that eBay had refunded.  The item was never returned.

Message 5 of 6
See Most Recent

I agree with the above, Buyer could be short of cash and is trying out every which way to raise funds. You will never see your items again so as others have said, move on.

******************************************************************************************