It's 2024 and buyers are still getting away with not paying for items!

It's 2024 and buyers are still going unpunished for not paying for items. I thought eBay were introducing measures to curb this? When I make an offer for something it immediately asks me what payment option i'd like to use but this doesn't seem to be a universal protocol?? eBay are increasing selling fees year on year but still allow us to get screwed over and over again. Sellers should be able to give negative feedback to buyers and we should all be able to see how many unpaid items someone has! Sort it out eBay!

Message 1 of 26
See Most Recent
25 REPLIES 25

Check to see whether you have been opted into the buyer pays immediately on having an offer accepted.  It should have been done automatically, but check here:

https://www.eby.co.uk/bmgt/buyerrequirements

Then to.... Your buyers >>  Managing who can buy from you. Click on Edit on the right.

Scroll down to the very bottom of that page you'll see the little box to tick beside ....  Require buyers to make a payment method before making an offer.

The leaving of negs for buyers stopped many moons ago as it became retaliatory, tit for tat ,even some sellers holding buyers to ' ransom' not sending out items until negative feedback left was removed, it served no good purpose.

It also would not help the majority of sellers who sell in a Buy it Now format,  there'd be no time to check that ' warning' feedback before the possible serial non payer bought the item.  Far better to use eBay's tools,  open unpaid item cases,  give those buyers those deserveing unpaid item strikes,  and block them from returning.

2 strikes and they cannot buy from the majority of sellers for a full 12 months.  Continual accruing of those strikes,  eBay boot them off their site permanently.

Message 2 of 26
See Most Recent

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I can see nothing mentioning "buyer pays immediately on having an offer accepted" on that link I'm afraid and I've always had "Require buyers to make a payment method before making an offer" selected.

I've been selling on eBay since 2013 and the experience with buyers not paying is the same now as it was then. eBay are not doing enough to protect sellers from buyers. This problem does not occur on other selling platforms where once you make an offer on something you are immediately charged for it.

The leaving of negative feedback to buyers who do not pay is one of only a few deterrents that would actually work.

Message 3 of 26
See Most Recent

Mmm,  which device are you using?  If the app or mobile browser,  switch if you can to a PC / laptop try from there it looks like this, found right at the bottom of the page:

Buyer payment requirements

Message 4 of 26
See Most Recent

Like I said I've always had that tick box selected. It was the first point that you mentioned: "buyer pays immediately on having an offer accepted" that I can't see.

Message 5 of 26
See Most Recent

What I can suggest is to join in the weekly chat, if you can,  it's on at 2 p.m. to day for an hour ,  and the eBay community team managers are present,  who will be able to answer this for you, ad to why your buyers are not having to pay immediately.

I'll be looking out for the answer,  too !

Message 6 of 26
See Most Recent

Ok sounds like a good idea. Thanks for your help

Message 7 of 26
See Most Recent

plpmr
Experienced Mentor

"Sellers should be able to give negative feedback to buyers"

eBay stopped sellers leaving buyers bad feedback years ago because sellers were abusing feedback.

Unfortunately you have proven eBay's decision correct as leaving false positives is considered serious feedback abuse.

Message 8 of 26
See Most Recent

Don't think that link is correct, it doesn't work for me and has the A missing from eBay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/bmgt/buyerrequirements 

Message 9 of 26
See Most Recent

Your link works and I think this is the only box that you have to tick to get imediate payment for offers.

Is there somewhere else to go to get immediate payment on BINS, or have I imagined that?

Message 10 of 26
See Most Recent

@papso22 wrote:

Your link works and I think this is the only box that you have to tick to get imediate payment for offers.

Is there somewhere else to go to get immediate payment on BINS, or have I imagined that?

My link works but tressygirls didn't for me.

The only other tick box I know of for requiring buy it now immediate payment is on the listing draft, but it doesn't apply to offers.

Message 11 of 26
See Most Recent

@douglaspuglas   ooops yep, link correct but, writing it out, I misspelt ,so will lead to a non existent page.  Time for a Specsaver visit me thinks !

Corrected to :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/bmgt/buyerrequirements

Message 12 of 26
See Most Recent

Tressygirl admits  ( so soz one and all !)  to writing the link out incorrectly,  missing the A from eBay, adding it will bring you to the correct page.  I manually wrote out that link  too fast obviously the ' a'  escaping me !

@papso22  Yes I do believe there is ( was?)  a tick box for immediate payments for BINS this is different from the newer tick for offers to be immediately paid. @cashion   are you mistaking this tick for instant payments just for straight BIN purchases,  perhaps ?

@douglaspuglas 

Message 13 of 26
See Most Recent

who's left false positives?

Message 14 of 26
See Most Recent

I know about the tick box when listing an item. I remember eBay saying in their new year update or something that they were introducing immediate payments when a buyer sends you an offer for an item however in my experience I am yet to see this being implemented.

Message 15 of 26
See Most Recent

You ask who's left false positives the answer is you, you left "NEGATIVE - Didn't pay for item. A recurring problem with ths buyer. AVOID!!!!" on a green dot for a buyer that is a false positive.

Message 16 of 26
See Most Recent

Ok so that is what a false positive is. I stand by it and will do it again if I have to.

Message 17 of 26
See Most Recent

@cashion wrote:

It's 2024 and buyers are still going unpunished for not paying for items. I thought eBay were introducing measures to curb this? When I make an offer for something it immediately asks me what payment option i'd like to use but this doesn't seem to be a universal protocol?? eBay are increasing selling fees year on year but still allow us to get screwed over and over again. Sellers should be able to give negative feedback to buyers and we should all be able to see how many unpaid items someone has! Sort it out eBay!

Why are you complaining about non payers?

You obviously regard not being paid as a poitive experience.

Message 18 of 26
See Most Recent

Not a good thing for a member to announce on these public boards that they will violate eBay policy/rules if and when it suits them.

Message 19 of 26
See Most Recent

I make a living selling through ebay and the number one thing that me and most sellers hate is buyers who don't pay. If you also sold on ebay maybe you'd understand. You can't shop on other online stores and buy something but not pay so why is it allowed on ebay? If leaving a buyer a false positive warns the next seller to maybe think whether or not to accept an offer then that could only be a good thing. But like I said you'd have to be a seller to understand.

Message 20 of 26
See Most Recent