2nd Class Royal Mail Tracking with Ebay label

Hi, can anyone tell me what cover there is, if any, on Royal Mail 2nd class postage when youi buy the label through Ebay?

It's not a tracked service, as such (I don't think) but it shows on the sale when the item is delivered.

I've had a couple now that have not been delivered and I've had to re-send the items, as a business seller, is there any recourse or do I have to suck it up for the sake of good feedback?

Thanks

Message 1 of 4
See Most Recent
3 REPLIES 3

If you want to use a postal service that offers end-to-end tracking then perhaps either Royal Mail Tracked 24 or Royal Mail Tracked 48 would be suitable for your needs.  It may be worth noting, however, that these services do not include weekends.

In the event that you want to offer weekend delivery to your customers then perhaps it would be worth despatching the items via Royal Mail Guaranteed Next Day Delivery, as that way it is possible for items to be delivered during the weekend.  However, many potential buyers may be put off of the price for this service, so if you were to consider it then it may be worth setting the listing up with Royal Mail Guaranteed Next Day Delivery included amongst the various postage options available to choose from on the listing.  If you were to do this, however, it may be worth reducing the asking price for this service in the listing and including the balance in the asking price for the item, or if you're setting the listing up as an Auction style listing, then just add the balance of the cost to the starting price.

Message 2 of 4
See Most Recent

Hi,

All royal mail shipping is covered to a financial level, as long as their process is followed...

When shipping, also print/complete a proof of posting form - this is easily available if buying shipping via ebay.

Each proof of posting, 1 sheet per item, needs stamping at a post office counter.

(there was, may still be, manual proof of posting slips that can list around 10 items per page)

Once you have that stamped page, you can make a claim via the royal mail website in case of damage or loss.

For me, proof of postage is painful, it typiclly takes ages to be served in my area, I avoid the counters like the plague - as the RM prices are always on the increase, I opt for evri or yodel for anything larger than 2nd class large letter over 100g - about the same price and tracking available.

On the first point, regarding tracking standard royal mail - we can't unless a tracked/signed-for service is used.

BUT... ebay seems to able, there seems to be a link between royal mail and ebay for standard shipping - because as you say, some items do show as delivered for standard shipping.

I even had this question today, one of my customers asking why the 2nd class large letter tracking number is not recognised by the royal mail website.. that number is the same number as the QR code on the label.

I typically use 2nd class large letter, I do see these marked off as delivered automatically by the ebay system.

Cheers,

Si

Message 3 of 4
See Most Recent

If you get a proof of posting at the post office, you are covered  up to £20 for 2nd class. If something is not delivered, use the POP to claim from Royal Mail.

Message 4 of 4
See Most Recent