making an offer

Why do I now have to enter credit card details & security code to make an offer?

Message 1 of 133
See Most Recent
132 REPLIES 132

making an offer

ebay's managed payments will handle the funds paid for an item.  Wonder if the Seller is thinking of handling the payment outside of Ebay.

I have made many offers on items I have purchased over the years & have never given any Credit Card details to a Seller.

Message 2 of 133
See Most Recent

making an offer

So that when your offer is accepted an immediate payment is made.

It's a new thing that started fairly recently. There's a tick box so that sellers can enable this or not.

Message 3 of 133
See Most Recent

making an offer

thay trialed this about a year ago [from USA] perhaps they are again trialing it again?

Message 4 of 133
See Most Recent

making an offer

@plpmr wrote:

perhaps they are again trialing it again?

I know the last time I put a few things up there was a tick box for this. I can't seem to find it now so it either it no longer exists or I'm looking in the wrong place.

There seems to be a few complaints over on .com so maybe it's their turn this time.

Message 5 of 133
See Most Recent

making an offer

@silveroboe 

Do you have a PayPal account?

If you do it seems like another way of directing purchases through Managed Payments rather than giving the buyer an option.

If you don't have a PayPal account or a card already registered with eBay ensure you make any payment through eBay's checkout.

As mentioned above there has been questions raised on the US boards recently as to why this is happening.

Message 6 of 133
See Most Recent

making an offer

Ben it's the last item on Buyer requirements page

https://www.ebay.co.uk/bmgt/buyerrequirements

Prepayoffer.jpg

Message 7 of 133
See Most Recent

making an offer

Thanks, yes you're right. I'm used to things appearing one day and gone the next.

Message 8 of 133
See Most Recent

making an offer

Hello and thank you for replying. Like you, I have made many offers over the years, and never been asked for this before. My credit card is already registered with ebay, and I strongly object to adding my security code to an offer - I can't see why I should.

I wondered if it was an ebay ploy to stop users making an offer - ensuring that ebay get more from every item sold . . . .

Message 9 of 133
See Most Recent

making an offer

Typical! I might have guessed it came from the US! I hope ebay put a stop to it. It's pointless if, as I have, users have already registered their card. I would have thought it was also a security risk.

Message 10 of 133
See Most Recent

making an offer

It is only pointless if EBay's system was able to link the fact that a particular seller had made the choice to require immediate payment for an accepted offer, with the buyers credit card already on file and which they definitley want to be used for payments.

Seems much easier programming wise just to ask the buyer to input their payment method with the offer. 

How is it a security risk?

Message 11 of 133
See Most Recent

making an offer

In other words, it's for ebay's convenience for easier programming? All I can say is that it has worked well without this before; I fail to see why, when my credit card is already registered as my chosen means of payment, I should now enter my security number. I would have thought that the fewer times I enter my card's security number the better - past occurrences would appear to prove that ebay is not exactly renowned for dealing with security issues efficiently.

Message 12 of 133
See Most Recent

making an offer

Thankyou for your reply.

I have to say I do not see the point of it - my card is already registered with ebay, so why do I need to put the security code in to every offer? As for the "legitimate use of my card" - that seems a less than credible reason.

I cannot but feel that ebay's security record is not all it might be, and the fewer times I add my card's security code, the better.

I would think it is more likely to deter buyers from making offers if they have to go through this rigmarole every time..

Message 13 of 133
See Most Recent

making an offer

Normally when making an offer, which is then accepted, I would have to go to my basket and manually pay because I have "committed to buy".

Will this new method automatically process the payment on acceptance of my offer, which would be a lot simpler?

Message 14 of 133
See Most Recent

making an offer

Out of interest I followed the link and discovered that I was opted in... I'm not even a seller!

Message 15 of 133
See Most Recent

making an offer

As this is ebay, that does not surprise me in the slightest! I think I'll do the same - I'm not a seller either, so I shall probably findI'm opted in, too! 

I wonder how many sellers actually realise that they have been opted them into this, perhaps without their knowledge?

Message 16 of 133
See Most Recent

making an offer

A lot simpler? Ebay? Does this sound likely?!!!    🤣

Message 17 of 133
See Most Recent

making an offer

I have just found this out now as i wanted to make an offer, now i dont mind giving my credit card details as every time i buy something on ebay i manualy put in the details for every sale ,as it's not as such stored by ebay as you can opt out so you cant do a 1 click purchase. This way should someone manage to log into my ebay account there not going to be able to do a 1 click purchase, it's my little bit of extra security . BUT what appears to me reading the terms of this new offer system is that your card details will be stored and used evertime in future for a 1 click purchase ! Now thats something i object to.

Message 18 of 133
See Most Recent

making an offer

Certainly it's simpler.

Before the new method I was making offers and adding notes saying "instant payment available... before such and such a time, but not when I'll be out at... etc. etc."

Now I can make an offer with the promise to pay so the seller knows it's instant payment, and I can get on with my day without having to constantly check back.

Speaking as a buyer only, I rarely encounter a problem with eBay per se... it's other users who make things difficult.

Message 19 of 133
See Most Recent

making an offer

Yes, I object to that.  Ebay have all the information they need; I consider this an additional security risk I don't want to take. We are always being told by banks and other financial institutions not to release the security code of our cards unless we are absolutely sure of the recipient's security - unfortunately, ebay's history with security issues does not give me that confidence.

I appreciate that other members feel differently, and are happy with this new system, but as merely one user, I am not.

Message 20 of 133
See Most Recent
Got buying related questions? Start here: