making an offer

Why do I now have to enter credit card details & security code to make an offer?

Message 1 of 133
See Most Recent
132 REPLIES 132

making an offer

Is it just eBayers who Buy only?  Then this is understandable that any Offers will be paid for.

As eBay already as eBay Sellers details on record it is not necessary.

Message 21 of 133
See Most Recent

making an offer

I have been putting an offer in with none of this payment info required until today!  I don't like it either, so I added my card details onto my account, then went back to make the offer...they asked for the payments details 😞  my card was on there so just pressed to make the offer.  I didn't have to enter the security code.  I paid by credit card as an extra layer of security.  If I have my offer accepted, I will then be deleting my card from the account.  If ebay insist on keeping this system I will keep on adding and deleting my card from my account details.....or I'll consider not using ebay.  Until then. I shall keep an extra eye out on my credit card activity.

Message 22 of 133
See Most Recent

making an offer

I believe it's a way of stopping buyers making offers  if you are selling smaller value items where customers buy in multiples if kills off the potential sales immediately.   If EBay masters think this is a good sales tactic then perhaps they don't sell on the platform and a training course on selling techniques would probably benefit them greatly.   If it is easy to offer/buy and make sales then why would anyone think it's a good idea to change that.  I thought the seller was hacked and it was a scam page to harvest card details/security numbers.

Message 23 of 133
See Most Recent

making an offer

hi seller can turn this off if they go into there selling pref as i turned mine off its like instand payment

Message 24 of 133
See Most Recent

making an offer

hi seller can turn this off if they go into there selling pref as i turned mine off its like instand payment,so sellers have the option of turning theres off in the settings

Message 25 of 133
See Most Recent

making an offer

You are correct, turn if off, as I have done.

However I never agreed to it to start with - 'on' is the default setting.  How long before you are auto-enrolled again.  A bit like GSP.

I have better things to do than be checking my account settings every few days.

Message 26 of 133
See Most Recent

making an offer

I followed the link and found that I had been opted in without my knowledge.

Also when I was forced to provide payment details to make an offer it did not just apply to the item I made the offer on.  My ebay and paypal accounts were linked for automatic payments (part of the message is

below) which I did not realise at the time

For your records, we’ve included a copy of the payment authorisation:

“You authorise eBay to link your PayPal account to your eBay account and use it to collect payment from you for items you offer to buy or win at auction on eBay.”

Message 27 of 133
See Most Recent

making an offer

I am a buyer and will no longer be making offers. I don't want to make my payment details "one click" on ebay. I like the second layer of security. I think this will cause lost sales in the long run.

Message 28 of 133
See Most Recent

making an offer

i agree.  apparently they are trying this on auctions in the us.  if it comes here it is all about income generation to get 30p per payment but people will just give up - less security as you say and no combined post

Message 29 of 133
See Most Recent

making an offer

I just made an offer and was directed to PayPal to sign in. I closed the page and will not be buying. The offer process is helpful to me but not if Ebay want me to pay before I know if I am going to get the item or not. I can see if as being useful to sellers and would be happy to use it if I ever started selling again but as a buyer I won't be doing it. I thought it was a scam at first. Given the amount of glitches on this site I am not goint to trust it.

Message 30 of 133
See Most Recent

making an offer

This is a stupid system because the other day I had offers on 3 things accepted but eBay took the payment for each item separately so I had to pay three lots of postage. Absolutely ridiculous.

Message 31 of 133
See Most Recent

making an offer

Yes it seems EBay want to eradicate the ‘combined total’ option in order to make the small item sellers clear off or to start offering free post. The more sellers/buyers you get rid off the less money will be made, so not sure what the longer term plan is now.
Message 32 of 133
See Most Recent

making an offer

I just had the Paypal thing too, "authorise eBay to link your PayPal account to your eBay account "  - no way.  I managed to cancel the offer. 

Is this not illegal and why eBay was forced to sell Paypal? 

Message 33 of 133
See Most Recent

making an offer

Because you are having to pay upfront, you can no longer go through topcashback or such sites

Message 34 of 133
See Most Recent

making an offer

Just spoken to an "advisor" who said this has been in place for over a year. According to him, the seller selects an "immediate payment" option which then will not make you able to make an offfer unless you give your card and security code details. Thst then means you have given those details JUST to make an offer whuch may or may not be accepted. He then astounded me by saying that sellers can also select that option for auction style bids also. As a seller, I have NEVER seen that option, is it even legal in the UK? Needless to say, if I have to give my card security card to make a speculative bid or offerI will not do it. The problem is Ebay have now "stored" it for future bids or offers so I now have to remov that from my account settings. Be careful everybody!

Message 35 of 133
See Most Recent

making an offer

My issue with this is I wanted to use PayPal Credit to pay for a phone I made an offer on but I wasn't given that option so instead when the seller accepted my offer it automatically defaulted to my bank account through PayPal.

Message 36 of 133
See Most Recent

making an offer

@stewie-w wrote:

My issue with this is I wanted to use PayPal Credit to pay for a phone I made an offer on but I wasn't given that option so instead when the seller accepted my offer it automatically defaulted to my bank account through PayPal.

This is what's bad about automatic payments.

Once you add the make offer payment method eBay applies it automatically to all your future offers. 

To stop the ebay PayPal automatic payments happening you have to cancel them via your PayPal account.

Log into PayPal, go into settings (it's the cog thing) to payments, look in automatic payments for the eBay one and cancel it. It won't get rid of it completely but makes it inactive and should stop eBay using it.

To stop ebay debit card automatic payments go to your eBay payments page and remove your debit card then add it again.

Message 37 of 133
See Most Recent

making an offer

I don't even mind the auto-payments as such, and i can kind of see why Ebay have started them.  But the whole point of PayPal is having all your payment options in one secure place, and if Ebay are going to default purely to your bank account without giving you the choice of another PayPal payment method then I find that very hard to accept.

Message 38 of 133
See Most Recent

making an offer

Indeed, that's one aspect (of many) where the system doesn't work properly. I've tried it a few times now with one Paypal account linked, in which I have a couple of sources connected. One of those sources is the one I use for Ebay purchases, and that's the one I set the offer thing to default to. However it clearly doesn't save the source preference when you attach a Paypal account, as I've found sometimes it debits from one source and sometimes the other (which I haven't agreed it to use), with no rhyme or reason why. This is pretty disgraceful practice from Ebay, it's a basically a lottery which Paypal source it raids and shows how clumsily the system has been implemented. In fact a website taking money from a source that you haven't given your express permission to may be possibly verging on fraud.

Message 39 of 133
See Most Recent

making an offer

ebay should just leave things the way they are. this now stops me from making any offers in the future, so ebay will lose out in the long run, as most offers are just impuse buys.

ebay shoots itself in the foot again.

Message 40 of 133
See Most Recent
Got buying related questions? Start here: