making an offer

Why do I now have to enter credit card details & security code to make an offer?

Message 1 of 133
See Most Recent
132 REPLIES 132

Re: making an offer

@silveroboe wrote:

Why do I now have to enter credit card details & security code to make an offer?

Because eBay made it a 'default' setting in sellers accounts that buyers who make offers need to supply a method of payment, just in case the offer is accepted.

It was something eBay decided introduced a few weeks back. Sellers were and are for some, still unaware of this new development. Those who are, seemed to have wisely switched it off! The main issue being when a buyer wants to make more than one offer on items by the same seller, when they are accepted, the buyer has to pay for the full P&P each and everytime, unless free P&P is stated on all the items listed.

*Hi pink slapper:-) I'm back! No doubt, not for long. I'll do you a great favour and leave well alone on the eBay Community Boards, like so many superb helpers of the past have. Badges and sucking up, just aren't my thing! 😂😂😂

Truth hurts. Maybe not as much as jumping on a bicycle with a seat missing, but it hurts.

You may think you have pushed ALL my buttons, but you still haven't found the mute!
Message 121 of 133
See Most Recent

This happened to me w/c 20th Nov 2023. This happened when an offer I made was accepted. The money (including a postage charge, when I had agreed with the seller to collect the item) was taken straight away. There was no option asked to link a preferred payment method and, like everybody else, I did not know about this change until I made this offer.

Reading everybody's comments on the forum, I may now review my account details and think about only registering virtual card details-cards which can only be used once, on a bank account!

Message 122 of 133
See Most Recent

Was just looking at a collection only item, went to place an offer but had to enter c/c details . I  am not making payment on a collection only item until I've seen it and checked it out so that idea has  backfired.

Message 123 of 133
See Most Recent

@nak1070  @strongbull 

Earlier in this thread, I posted an image of the dialogue box and where to leave feedback to eBay regarding this. The feedback is specific to the Offers function. 

The more people that leave feedback the better - they might start to understand how unpopular it is...

Message 124 of 133
See Most Recent

Can't find it, can you post it again please?

Thanks

Message 125 of 133
See Most Recent

@ldoelesley wrote:

Can't find it, can you post it again please?

Thanks

See posts 117  and 119.

The "give us feedback" link is at the bottom of the actual pop up box thingy that appears when you make an offer and eBay wants you to enter your payment method. 

It looks like this.

Screenshot_2023-11-13-21-23-24-209~3.jpeg

Message 126 of 133
See Most Recent

@douglaspuglas 

Thanks for the image and apologies for mistakenly stating that I'd posted it earlier! 

Message 127 of 133
See Most Recent

Thank you.
Message 128 of 133
See Most Recent

I've tried the feedback thing but it hasn't achieved anything, this possibly unlawful "feature" still exists. Though it has saved me a lot of money as my purchases are well down since it came in.

Message 129 of 133
See Most Recent

I know some people will find this uncomfortable but there is a solution.

If you want to remove this from your item go to

https://www.ebay.co.uk/bmgt/buyerrequirements

and untick the box "require buyers to provide a payment method before they make an offer".

Message 130 of 133
See Most Recent

Thats for the seller to do not the buyer. Ebay have automaticaly ticked the box without telling the sellers .
Message 131 of 133
See Most Recent

@15438 

If you read back over the thread, that has been mentioned multiple times, but it only affects you as a seller i.e. if you untick it, it means that YOUR listings won't have this requirement.

As a buyer, unless the seller has unticked it, it causes the problems that this thread is related to.

What we are unhappy about is eBay demanding payment details and authorisation for offers that we want to make.

Message 132 of 133
See Most Recent

Yes, many people have already posted this but, of course, many people may not have seen it if they aren't in the community forum. It will disappear immediately if anybody shares it on social media, surprised?
Message 133 of 133
See Most Recent
Got buying related questions? Start here: