Left justified negative feedback, that has now strangely disappeared?

I left feedback after a seller did not describe how badly damaged a lot of their robots were in a job lot (one even had a shoulder newly glued on in place of a hand?1) and only showed misreading photos.  Add to this they just piled all of the plastic robots into a cardboard box that they barely fitted into, you can imagine the mess they arrived in! So I tried to graciously negotiate a return & refund with the seller, included photos to show the damage. The seller point blank refused and just got abusive, which pushed me to take matters further for a the return & refund. Then the seller contacted me to demand I remove my neg feedback as it was effecting their sales. I explained they were given plenty of chances to put things right which they ignored and feed back was there to make prospective buyers aware of any possible problems. Now I see the feedback has been removed and there is no way of contacting eBay to clarify why?!

Message 1 of 21
See Most Recent
20 REPLIES 20

If you mentioned in the feedback about getting ebay involved, refunds etc, it can be removed. You have to be careful what you say in feedback, so it`s always best to keep it simple, `Terrible transaction`.

Message 2 of 21
See Most Recent

... and even then there’s no guarantee that the most innocuous, honest, within-the-rules comments will stick. eBay seem increasingly keen to remove negative feedback comments.  It is, naturally, in the organisation's interest to make the site appear a completely safe marketplace, populated by totally trustworthy, fully satisfied buyers and sellers. 

The sooner people realise the feedback system system is not fit for purpose, the better for everyone. Accept the fact that no transaction is without risk, and that the money back guarantee is (usually) going to provide a reasonable safety net for buyers. 

Message 3 of 21
See Most Recent

How does that work as honest feedback though, that gives prospective buyers a realistic overview of the seller?

Message 4 of 21
See Most Recent

Agree, newer feedback system just seems to be a snow job.  As I use to sell quite abit on eBay, I always try to give balanced feedback even if it wasn't a great experience. Can't help but think because the person had very high feedback, they probably had more privilege at getting neg feedback  removed.

No wonder more people are just going to Amazon.

Message 5 of 21
See Most Recent

IF the items were not as described or damaged, why did you not follow the ebay MBG and open a case to force the refund? The seller would have had no choice but to issue you a returns label (via ebay) and you would have sent the items back for a full refund.

As long as you are still within the 30 days of the last estimated delivery date you can still do this.

My business was a finalist in the ebay business awards 2023.
Message 6 of 21
See Most Recent

Sold 17th June so they left it a bit too late.

Message 7 of 21
See Most Recent

Is this the feedback you left which still shows as negative, but the comments you left with it have been removed ?

Message 8 of 21
See Most Recent

Who said I didn't report & get refund? Hence me stating being forced to take things further.  I do know this, having been a eBay community moderator and seller.

My query is in regards to feedback removal.

Message 9 of 21
See Most Recent

Did I say I'm only leaving feedback now? No. 

Query was about feedback removal. Please can people not just answer to get their posting score up.

Message 10 of 21
See Most Recent

plpmr
Experienced Mentor

you left a neg for a job lot of robots and that's still there, just the comment has been removed.

Message 11 of 21
See Most Recent

I don`t disagree with you, but ebay has rules about the feedback you can leave, so if you say anything you shouldn`t, the seller can ask for it to be removed, that`s why it`s best to just keep it simple.

Message 12 of 21
See Most Recent

@ha-melmahey wrote:

, having been a eBay community moderator 

You were employed by Lithium or Khoros?

Message 13 of 21
See Most Recent

Indeed, then they should know that mods have nothing to do with feedback and, or its removal.

Message 14 of 21
See Most Recent

@*knight-rider* wrote:

If you mentioned in the feedback about getting ebay involved, refunds etc, it can be removed. You have to be careful what you say in feedback, so it`s always best to keep it simple, `Terrible transaction`.

Huh, this is actually a very interesting reply. I was actually about to open a thread about my experience with my negative feedback being removed from a seller because I was sure I didn't write anything offensive or untrue. But then I read your reply and I did recognize that I did mention "eBay getting involved" and getting "a refund".

Basically I bought an item from a Top Rated seller in France (business), that arrived defective (seller was sloppy and didn't check it -- it was not a shipping issue). It was just a small 17 EUR item. So I opened a return request with the reason "item arrived defective" which the seller accepted but he entered into the system that he is not able to send me a return shipping label. I am from Slovenia so I guess he didn't have that option for my country.

eBay's automatic e-mail system informed me of this and suggested that I message the seller to agree and arrange the return shipping. I messaged the seller and explained that I am writing in reference to the item that arrived defective and would like to arrange a return process with him. Basically I wanted him to pay me for the return postsage which he is supposed to cover. He replied with "We are sorry but the product sent corresponds to the advertisement. We cannot provide a slip for an order placed in error." I wrote again and clarified that this is not about an order placed in error but about me wanting to return a defective item for a refund, which he already accepted. I never heard back from him after that. BTW, the item was advertised as "fully working".

After several days passed with the seller not replying or communicating with me in any way, I contacted eBay support, explained that the seller refuses to honor the return process and does not work with me to arrange a return. Next day I got a message from eBay customer service saying "I have good news for you. I have solved the return of the item ... quickly and easily for you. In this case, you do not need to return the item to the seller and we will provide you with a full refund of the purchase price as well as the original shipping costs." I also got the refund shortly after.

I then went and left a negative feedback to this seller, saying something like this (I don't have the exact wording because it was apparently removed, but it went 99% like this): "Received defective item. Seller refused to honor/arrange a return. No communication. Had to involve eBay to get a refund. Bad experience."

This feedback was removed. I didn't write anything that would apparently break any rules and yet the seller was able to get it removed. If this is indeed related to me mentioning "involving eBay to get a refund" I would really like to see where it says this is forbidden or I would like to know what is wrong about writing that. It's exactly what happened. It was my exact experience, which was actually a little nerve-wracking.

Message 15 of 21
See Most Recent

To be honest we have always ' quoted' here that any mention of any eBay involvement in a feedback left for a seller,  that is a refund, case, eBay,  etc.  then this ' breaks feedback rules' ,  and a seller can ask for it to be removed.

You also ask where is this written?  Of I trot round many  eBay Feedback help and policy pages, and you are correct ,  it doesn't state that ruling anywhere,  at least I cannot find it.

Perhaps later this morning marco@ebay anita@ebay katie@ebay can help point us to where this is written.

As said I'm not disputing this is the case, as it's obvious feedback mentioning eBay involvement can be removed but just where in eBay's Feedback help pages is this written.

Message 16 of 21
See Most Recent

I am not on these forums a lot so I never read about this until *knight-rider* mentioned it. So I guess I know it now and will never mention that again if I happen to have to leave another neg in the future. Still, it sucks that they are able to remove a perfectly valid feedback just like that. Buyers are disadvantaged not knowing how that seller operates. Who knows how many other valid negative feedbacks he was able to get removed. 1.519 positive, 20 neutral, 0 negative just doesn't look realistic to me, especially because I know for a fact that that 0 should be at least a 1. It's all totally skewed and unfair.

Message 17 of 21
See Most Recent

I think it falls here under the feedback misuse @tressygirl 

Feedback content should only be related to the transaction. We don't allow:

• Expressing opinions on any political, religious, or social issues
  • Any links, URLS, or other content encouraging sales outside of eBay
  • Any implied or explicit threats or intimidation
  • The publishing of any personally identifiable information
  • Any inappropriate or offensive content
  • Any infringement of third-party rights
  • Any references to investigations

Bottom two I would have thought cover it refunds/cases is an investigation and ebay is the third party in point above? Although I do stand to be corrected if I have got that wrong!

Message 18 of 21
See Most Recent

Bingo!

Yep, that is the one. I will have to copy that out and keep it somewhere
as I just couldn't find that gem.

It's as clear as mud, but I think you're right that last line
'investigations' would seem to cover ' eBay involvement'.
Message 19 of 21
See Most Recent

Feedback misuse policy. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/policies/feedback-policies/feedback-misuse-policy?id=5030&st=3&pos=2&que...

Oh and morning! 😃

Message 20 of 21
See Most Recent
Got buying related questions? Start here: