Sellers marking items as dispatched when not

My gripe is, frequently when ordering online with eBay I seem to get an automatic “Dispatched” and often a tracking number as if the seller is on autopilot, yet it seems days before the parcel is in the care of the delivery firm/couriers, is this due to the courier not collecting in a timely manner? or the seller not dropping the parcel off at the courier's collection point for days? or really the fault of the delivery firm? should courier protect their reputation if the delay is due to the seller by stating on the tracking information the reason for the delay??? my thought is that sellers raises a dispatch invoice, postage, and tracking number automatically and use it as a picking sheet next time they go to their storage units which may be many days after the item has been marked as dispatched.

Message 1 of 69
See Most Recent
68 REPLIES 68

Re: Sellers marking items as dispatched when not

You may post the same or the next day like many other sellers but unfortunately, there are some who are too lazy to get off their butt until they have a stack of orders, all I am asking eBay is to change the rules so dispatched means the goods are posted or with the couriers.

Unfortunately Royal Mail Tracking often only tells when the tracking number for the label was raised and too often it must be days before the seller bothers to drop it off at the post office, we already get conformation the seller has received the order so why do we want a dispatched notice minutes later just because the seller has printed the label yet may be days before they post it???

Message 61 of 69
See Most Recent

I use packlinc to post my items,as soon as I create a label, my item is marked as dispatched by eBay, even though it is not yet dispatched. Not My Fault.

Message 62 of 69
See Most Recent

Its not the sellers. Its the automated Ebay system. When the seller purchases the postage from them that it when the Ebay system automatically updates it as 'dispatched'.

Message 63 of 69
See Most Recent

eBay, please provide every one of its sellers with a Royal Mail letterbox right outside the seller's house or businesss premises, along with enough properly paid RM staff to collect from it. But even then, it'd still take time for "despatched" to become correct, wouldn't it. Too difficult, eBay? - well instead how about you change your term "despatched" to the accurate term "processinng"!!

Message 64 of 69
See Most Recent

You cant seriously be putting this forward as something anyone is
actually requesting. Although eBay's system of marking items as
dispatched is part of the problem it has absolutely nothing to do with
sellers stating 1 working day dispatch which almost like clockwork for
most medium and above sellers leave it sitting around 3-4 days before it
even sees a post office.

If you want to take 3-4 days great crack on but don't list as 1 working
day then act surprised when people start getting annoyed at you. When I
sell if I list 1 working day its one working day unless we have some
kind of natural disaster etc but the buyer has chosen to spend money
with you its not a radical idea to expect honesty as a bare minimum and
good customer service/experience should be the ideal. If I made
decisions like that when I worked in management I would have been fired
on the spot.

--
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG antivirus software.
www.avg.com
Message 65 of 69
See Most Recent

A professional seller should operate under professional ethics and codes, if he/she is too busy with other things, or lives out in the middle of nowhere, then maybe they should consider not being a professional ebay seller! 
     The implications of pretending they have dispatched an item, when its actually still sat on their shelf is not really a nice way to do business!
    I have had many a late delivery, well past their last claimed last delivery date, yet the items were posted from within the UK to my address whcih is also in the UK, and even when when my ebay orders list said it was  'dispatched' an hour after i purchased and paid for it, i am still waiting for it.  No doubt they rely on that small buffer zone, and sometimes even lie about delivery dates to get the business from an ebay competitor offering a later delivery date, hey, maybe they cant even be bothered posting that day, or are too busy with other things in their life to get around to posting. No professional seller should be operating on ebay with those selling ethics! 

Message 66 of 69
See Most Recent

''Posting a few hours or a day later doesn't seem at all unreasonable.''    I disagree!  If it arrives when they said it would that fine, but many sellers abuse the automatic 'dispatched' system. They often claim in their advertised products, they are a few days quicker with their delivery dates than their competitors,  when in all honesty they never are!   The fact they rely on the automatic ebay 'dispatched' notification to then post whenever they feel like or get around to, ofter 2-3 days after!... and never actually bother to dispatch on that day ebay states its been dispatched, is not fair on the buyer who was duped into thinking they would receive an item quicker than the next ebay seller selling the same item.  I have lost count of my ebay orders being delivered later than the date claimed it would be here.  Some bad ebay sellers milking the system.

Message 67 of 69
See Most Recent

You can blame ebay for a lot of this.  They ignore the seller's stated timescales and invent their own estimated delivery dates which they tell the buyer.

For example, in order to get any reasonable delivery timescale from ebay I have had to put 5 day dispatch and 5 day courier.  This results in ebay telling the buyer delivery will be sometime from 3 days before I am supposed to post to one day after.    Obviously ludicrous, and could cause my buyers to get very angry when they think it is late.  It also allows the buyer to open a case for non delivery 4 days before the latest delivery date calculated from what I actually tell ebay.

Message 68 of 69
See Most Recent

Well I think you just have to look at the seller's feedback. I've bought a few things now where nothing has happened for at least a week after I've received the 'seller has printed a shipping label' notification. I then checked the seller feedback to find surprise surprise they have bad feedback for constant late shipping. I now avoid sellers with this type of feedback.

Message 69 of 69
See Most Recent
Got buying related questions? Start here: