Extortion?

A buyer has sent a message claiming an item was not as described and that the description is misleading followed by a demand for a 50% refund for his troubles or to send a different item instead. This despite sending me pics demonstrating that what he received is in fact correct as per the order and using statements that are easily disputed using the listing title & description. In short, he didn't read the description and has ordered the wrong thing. That aside, what are peoples thoughts on him tacking the following to the bottom of his message?

Anti-Extortion Disclaimer:
As a reasonable and trustworthy buyer, I frequently leave honest, positive feedback for transactions I felt ended satisfactory. It’s rare for me to leave honest, negative feedback as I rarely have a buying experience that I felt didn’t end satisfactory, as most sellers would ordinarily reach an agreed resolution with the buyer (Precisely the purpose of eBay’s feedback). It’s solely the sellers decision whether they refund or replace, as a resolution to a complaint. No seller is reasonable to claim they felt unreasonably compelled in any way, to provide a resolution of any kind to me.

Message 1 of 7
See Most Recent
6 REPLIES 6

Extortion?

plpmr
Experienced Mentor

Extortion?

@thewoodelves wrote:

A buyer has sent a message claiming an item was not as described and that the description is misleading followed by a demand for a 50% refund for his troubles or to send a different item instead.

Tell them if they're not happy with the item to open a return request. Was any threat to leave negative feedback if you don't meet their demands mentioned?

@thewoodelves wrote:

Anti-Extortion Disclaimer:
As a reasonable and trustworthy buyer, I frequently leave honest, positive feedback for transactions I felt ended satisfactory. It’s rare for me to leave honest, negative feedback as I rarely have a buying experience that I felt didn’t end satisfactory, as most sellers would ordinarily reach an agreed resolution with the buyer (Precisely the purpose of eBay’s feedback). It’s solely the sellers decision whether they refund or replace, as a resolution to a complaint. No seller is reasonable to claim they felt unreasonably compelled in any way, to provide a resolution of any kind to me.

As a disclaimer it means nothing, neither legally nor in eBay's eyes. In fact, if anything it suggests they have been warned or sanctioned by eBay in some way in the past. What does their feedback left for other sellers show? For example, does it show that it is indeed rare for them to leave "honest, negative feedback"?

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Message 3 of 7
See Most Recent

Extortion?

Whatever the truth of what he says as to the item the simple - and in my view only - way forward is that he opens a case for NAD and you send a label and he returns.  Then you refund and get a fee credit

@thewoodelves 

Message 4 of 7
See Most Recent

Extortion?

@plpmr wrote:

It's feedback extortion, have a read -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/help/policies/feedback-policies/feedback-extortion-policy?id=4230&st=3&pos=1&...

Actually, you know what - that "disclaimer" is really a thinly-veiled threat to leave negative feedback if their demands are not met.

@thewoodelves at the very bottom of the message window there is a menu that shows "Action". Click on that then select "Report message" then "Threatening". In the "Explain the issue" box explain the buyer is attempting feedback extortion and ensure you copy and paste the link posted by @plpmr .

The only reply you need to give the buyer is to direct them to open a return request. It makes no sense for the buyer to demand a 50% refund if the item is of no use to them.

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Message 5 of 7
See Most Recent

Extortion?

That was my take, it's already been reported.

Message 6 of 7
See Most Recent

Extortion?

I think in a case like this, I would also ring Customer Support and get a rep to look at the buyer's message - they can refer them to the team that deals with serial claimants.  You've already reported the buyer, but it looks as if this is a pattern of behaviour rather than a one-off, and it's best if an actual person in CS understands this (rather than a robot saying "we've only had 75 reports about this buyer, that doesn't meet our threshold for investigation").

Cesario, the Count's gentleman
Message 7 of 7
See Most Recent